REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 321 guests

Explosions at the Boston marathon

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Luke82Icon...17-04-2013 @ 08:37 
Enjoys his parents fully stocked fridge.
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
IrishMarc said:
I may respond to this properly tomorrow but the actual evidential truth is as societies move away from violence in general the less violent crime is committed in kind.
The least violent societies on the planet at the moment reside in western Europe, oceiana and Asia (in countries where capital punishment is pretty much abolished) with homicides per capita of less than 2 per 100,000.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Map_of_worl...
As a promient example the united states has a homicide rate per capital if 4.8 per 100,000
480% that of the western European average.
Capital punishment is a terrible response to the problem as it invariable puts innocents to death, acts as a useless deterrent (evidenced by societies with capital punishment being more violent), doesn't address any issues and in the developed world can actually cost more than life in imprisonment (with appeal processes etc costing so much).
The best course of action is to take dangerous people out of society (as already mentioned) and to try rehabilitate if possible and if not possible to keep them out of society.
Already written to much I need to go to bed.

Removing dangerous people from society is the best feature of capital punishment. It's an act of sanitation if nothing else. There may be example of people being put to death and later found innocent but this becomes extremely unlikely as detection methods improve and our judicial system becomes more effective. And you'd have to convince me that the number of people executed and later exonerated would out weigh the people killed by dangerous people released from prison that should have been removed from any rational society.

If a death penalty acts as no further detterent, so what? Clearly, since murders still happen, the current system is not a detterent either. It's common sense that not every person can be rehabilitated, so who does life imprisonment please? Those that want to give criminals a chance to change aren't happy with it, and those of us that would rather get rid of them and not pay to keep them alive for no reason aren't happy either.

I have a problem with how these statisics you provide are interpreted. It seems absurd to suggest that harsh punishment is responsible for driving up crime. It is far more likely, in my eyes, that as societies become more civilised and affluent they become safer, and the population move away from harsh punishments. This seems a much more likely chain of events than 'the law kills people therefore I can kill people' - give criminals some credit ha ha.

If all prison sentences were suddenly doubled in this country would you expect a sudden incline in crime rates?
chaosIcon...17-04-2013 @ 09:11 
An amazing human being
Member 2047, 17156 posts
SQ 262.5, BP 170, DL 300
732.5 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Luke82 said:
If all prison sentences were suddenly doubled in this country would you expect a sudden incline in crime rates?

I don't think its that, in the UK anywya, prison isn't seen as a deterrent, in fact with majority of scumbags its seen as a badge of honour! Prions are too soft, I'm not syaing they're nice places, but they are not as tough as it should be! Lock people up for 24 hours a day with no other human interaction or form of entertainment (books, tv's etc) then that would soon break evne the 'toughest nut' to think about mending their ways (obviously there still needs to be some form of rehabilitation and those with severe mental problems nbeeded treating differnetly) and prison will be seen more of a dterrent than an occupational hazard!
IrishMarcIcon...17-04-2013 @ 10:59 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Luke82 said:
Removing dangerous people from society is the best feature of capital punishment. It's an act of sanitation if nothing else. There may be example of people being put to death and later found innocent but this becomes extremely unlikely as detection methods improve and our judicial system becomes more effective. And you'd have to convince me that the number of people executed and later exonerated would out weigh the people killed by dangerous people released from prison that should have been removed from any rational society.

In the UK, reviews prompted by the Criminal Cases Review Commission have resulted in one pardon and three exonerations for people executed between 1950 and 1953 (when the execution rate in England and Wales averaged 17 per year), with compensation being paid. -wiki 2013

So with 54 executions in a 3 year period 4 of those were retrospectively found to be false. That gives a margin of error of 7%. This is not an extensive data set (I'm sure we could find one if needed) but it is a data set.

Are you willing to accept that as an acceptable measure of error? I would preferable have 0% margin for error when it comes to legalised murder (maybe that's just me being weird).

The detection methods regardless of how advanced will never be 100% accurate and that is reason enough for me on principal to not endorse capital punishment. With out even mentioning the other arguments against it as a matter of principal in a civilised enlightened society we should no exercise state sanctioned murder.

If a death penalty acts as no further detterent, so what? Clearly, since murders still happen, the current system is not a detterent either. It's common sense that not every person can be rehabilitated, so who does life imprisonment please? Those that want to give criminals a chance to change aren't happy with it, and those of us that would rather get rid of them and not pay to keep them alive for no reason aren't happy either.

Death sentence as a deterrent is kind of the whole point... if it isn't more effective then to carry it out is nothing more than exercising the basal feelings for revenge or "social" justice. That is not a civilised notion it is no better than the actions of animals and I for one do not wish to be in such a society (chaos's tales of saudi arabia demonstrate this forthright).

Murders will happen regardless it is in our make up with out changing something basal about us (altering brains chemically as an example) it will always be the case. That is not a failing of the system. On to the next point.

I have a problem with how these statisics you provide are interpreted. It seems absurd to suggest that harsh punishment is responsible for driving up crime. It is far more likely, in my eyes, that as societies become more civilised and affluent they become safer, and the population move away from harsh punishments. This seems a much more likely chain of events than 'the law kills people therefore I can kill people' - give criminals some credit ha ha.

You can have all the problems you want with them they are there for you to go look at if you would wish. If your not going to look at it objectively you may as well just not look at it.

If it's a case of my philosophy versus yours then I would just agree to disagree but it's not.

Homicide rates are about the only reliable crime statistic we have going back (if you read steve pinkertons book I quoted earlier he covers this in depth) but in medieval England the average murder rate was 50 per 100,000 that is 5000% it's current rate.

In medieval Europe Prison didn't really exist if you were found guilty of a crime the punishment was pretty much hanging.

Sir Samuel Romilly, speaking to the House of Commons on capital punishment in 1810, declared that "[there is] no country on the face of the earth in which there [have] been so many different offences according to law to be punished with death as in England."[citation needed] Known as the "Bloody Code", at its height the criminal law included some 220 crimes punishable by death, including "being in the company of Gypsies for one month", "strong evidence of malice in a child aged 7–14 years of age" and "blacking the face or using a disguise whilst committing a crime". Many of these offences had been introduced to protect the property of the wealthy classes that emerged during the first half of the 18th century, a notable example being the Black Act of 1723, which created 50 capital offences for various acts of theft and poaching.[citation needed]
Whilst executions for murder, burglary and robbery were common, the death sentences for minor offenders were often not carried out.

A sentence of death could be commuted or respited (permanently postponed) for reasons such as benefit of clergy, official pardons, pregnancy of the offender or performance of military or naval duty.[2] Between 1770 and 1830, 35,000 death sentences were handed down in England and Wales, but only 7000 executions were carried out.[3]

No but nor would I expect a large decrease either what I would expect to see is a massive spike in cost for no good reason.
Luke82Icon...17-04-2013 @ 11:55 
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Well I would expect a decrease in crime. At the very least habitual criminals would be away twice as long. Off the top of my head I believe longer prison sentences was a big help in controlling football violence.

Taking your logic to its conclusion we might as well not bother with incarceration at all. Good luck reducing crime with that.

Using statistics from the 1950s (not to mention medieval times) is not really relevant. We are leagues ahead now in crime detection. DNA evidence alone will cut the margin of error right down, and like I said the tragedy of executing an innocent person would be extremely rare, whereas innocent people being killed by released criminals who have no business wandering around in a society such as ours.

I was looking at your statistics objectively. It seems to me it is you who have your conclusion in mind when looking at the figures; violent societies have the death penalty, therefore it is the death penalty that makes society violent. This doesn't stand up to a moments critical thought in my eyes, as it is much much more likely that a society turns to the death penalty because of the violent crime, not the other way around. Not only is this more in keeping with common sense, it also allows room for the anomalies such as Japan, which has the death penalty but relatively low levels of violent crime.

What is wrong with our justice system including retribution? It is one of the goals of punishment. Human beings have an inbuilt sense of justice.

You say we cannot agree to disagree with this but to be honest I think that is all that can be done. People ever seem to be set against capital punishment, or like me not see a problem with it. And yes I would be happy to be the executioner, it was within my job to potentially kill whilst defending our society and culture whilst I was in the forces, but even if I personally were not, so what? People might not want to work in an abbatoir but it doesn't stop them eating meat.
Luke82Icon...17-04-2013 @ 11:57 
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.04.2013 @ 11:59 AM by Luke82
Woops double post
slimsimIcon...17-04-2013 @ 12:03 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Luke82 said:And you'd have to convince me that the number of people executed and later exonerated would out weigh the people killed by dangerous people released from prison that should have been removed from any rational society.

The person who has been killed by lethal injection is your dad/brother/child/mother......
JCIcon...17-04-2013 @ 12:20 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Ramsay777 said:Some ignorance; if anyone would like some rage to channel into a PB tonight...

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosive...

I think I lost half of my brain cells just reading some of those posts.

Man alive, some people are so stupid!

The folk insinuating North Korea is too blame, obviously know nothing of the situation there
IrishMarcIcon...17-04-2013 @ 12:26 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.04.2013 @ 12:28 PM by IrishMarc
Luke82 said:Well I would expect a decrease in crime. At the very least habitual criminals would be away twice as long. Off the top of my head I believe longer prison sentences was a big help in controlling football violence.

Taking your logic to its conclusion we might as well not bother with incarceration at all. Good luck reducing crime with that.

Using statistics from the 1950s (not to mention medieval times) is not really relevant. We are leagues ahead now in crime detection. DNA evidence alone will cut the margin of error right down, and like I said the tragedy of executing an innocent person would be extremely rare, whereas innocent people being killed by released criminals who have no business wandering around in a society such as ours.

I was looking at your statistics objectively. It seems to me it is you who have your conclusion in mind when looking at the figures; violent societies have the death penalty, therefore it is the death penalty that makes society violent. This doesn't stand up to a moments critical thought in my eyes, as it is much much more likely that a society turns to the death penalty because of the violent crime, not the other way around. Not only is this more in keeping with common sense, it also allows room for the anomalies such as Japan, which has the death penalty but relatively low levels of violent crime.

What is wrong with our justice system including retribution? It is one of the goals of punishment. Human beings have an inbuilt sense of justice.

You say we cannot agree to disagree with this but to be honest I think that is all that can be done. People ever seem to be set against capital punishment, or like me not see a problem with it. And yes I would be happy to be the executioner, it was within my job to potentially kill whilst defending our society and culture whilst I was in the forces, but even if I personally were not, so what? People might not want to work in an abbatoir but it doesn't stop them eating meat.

I think you are missing my point or I am not portraying it properly. It is the reductions in Violence as a whole that leads to less violent societies. To give a brief model (you really should look at the pinkerton book as it gives a through example backed with data to this effect).

Pre-governmental/tribal societies (pre-leviathan) are more violent as they have massive in group strife.

Government/Empire or "Leviathan" reduces massively societal violence the main cause of violence in pre-enlightenment society is institutional (crime + punishment, war etc.)

In modern society the massive reduction in violence is due to a cascade of factors one of the largest being a reduction in institutionalised violence.

It's all part of the same phenomenon.

The shedding of the death penalty is just one of the later stages more enlightened and less violent societies choose to make.

Japan is indeed an anomili but for that one example I can pull any number of counter examples. The general trend is countries with out capital punishment have lower murder rates. Even with in America (the same society) the same trend is shown

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/files/murderratesdpvsnodp.jpg

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-deat...

If you are happy to be the executioner that's fine that is not what I am arguing.

I was trying to state that difference in opinion was exactly what I wasn't trying to argue as to stop this being a circular argument.
Ramsay777Icon...17-04-2013 @ 12:49 
Member 3942, 1107 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 315
675.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
The person who has been killed by lethal injection is your dad/brother/child/mother......

Luke did state; "There may be example of people being put to death and later found innocent but this becomes extremely unlikely as detection methods improve and our judicial system becomes more effective."

I agree with him. I think in cases where it is 100% absolute who the perpetrator is (CCTV footage, multiple witnesses, a confession even), then capital punishment can and in my opinion should be an option.

Chaos' story about the man who could have his spinal cord severed as punishment for paralysing another man; I know that if one of my family members was in the victim's position, then it's the only punishment that I personally would see fit. Rather than the UK's answer of putting them in a cushy jail for a few of years only to be let out early for "good behaviour".
Luke82Icon...17-04-2013 @ 12:57 
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
slimsim said:

My point was I was far more likely to lose a family member by someone unsuitable being released from prison than I was by wrongful execution.

Marc, I don't disagree with your statistics, in fact I think we are generally agreeing about less violent societies getting rid of the death penalty. But I still don't think that introducing the death penalty, in this country at this time, would be a bad thing. I certainly don't think that murder rates would sky rocket because suddenly people would think killing was ok because we have capital punishment.

We are in danger of going round in circles so ill just say that I, purely personally, agree with the death penalty being an option at sentencing. This is mainly because if someone raped or murdered someone I care about I would want them killed, no ifs or maybes. I wouldn't be so hypocritical to deny others in this position the justice I would want for myself.
macrothIcon...17-04-2013 @ 13:37 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Luke82 said:
This is mainly because if someone raped or murdered someone I care about I would want them killed, no ifs or maybes.

So would I. But that has nothing to do with justice, and certainly not a justice
system. What you want is revenge, and statistics from medieval times seem particularly apt in that case.
IrishMarcIcon...17-04-2013 @ 13:53 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Luke82 said:
My point was I was far more likely to lose a family member by someone unsuitable being released from prison than I was by wrongful execution.
Marc, I don't disagree with your statistics, in fact I think we are generally agreeing about less violent societies getting rid of the death penalty. But I still don't think that introducing the death penalty, in this country at this time, would be a bad thing. I certainly don't think that murder rates would sky rocket because suddenly people would think killing was ok because we have capital punishment.
We are in danger of going round in circles so ill just say that I, purely personally, agree with the death penalty being an option at sentencing. This is mainly because if someone raped or murdered someone I care about I would want them killed, no ifs or maybes. I wouldn't be so hypocritical to deny others in this position the justice I would want for myself.

I would counter that a tendency towards increased institutional violence would lead to higher violent crimes (as evidenced by the relationships we are discussing no one is saying sky rocket) but the point is purely academic and thus moot.

Your opinion is your own and I do not wish to challenge it. Although I certainly do not share it.
davycummingsIcon...17-04-2013 @ 14:05 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Really interesting discussion, and Marc, you make some very good and well reasoned points.

I still stand by my assertion that in many cases we are now in a situation where the perpetrator of the crime receives more care, rehabilitation, support etc than the victim. I do not think this is acceptible.

I favour the death penalty in certain cases, primarily for repeat serious offenders, as by this point attempts at temporary seperation and rehabilitation have not worked. Whole life tarrifs are in effect just seperation from society until death, which is the very least that I believe should be implemented for repeat offenders.

It is a very complex issue, there is no doubt, and one where opinions can vary wildly.
Ramsay777Icon...17-04-2013 @ 14:34 
Member 3942, 1107 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 315
675.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Anyone for some Law Abiding Citizen?

Luke82Icon...17-04-2013 @ 14:48 
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
macroth said:
So would I. But that has nothing to do with justice, and certainly not a justice
system. What you want is revenge, and statistics from medieval times seem particularly apt in that case.

I don't deny it is revenge. Vengeance underpins human's sense of justice. All punishment has an element of revenge to it, life in prison is vengeance as much as capital punishment.

How is killing someone who had killed someone care about not just?

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions