REGISTER
 

Skinny bastards aim to get a bit less skinny

12345678910 ... ... 3334353637383940414243

JaakoIcon...30-06-2008 @ 15:36 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Don't think they will allow it either. Worth checking just in case, though.

Monday

Squash - 50min
First game in ages but everything was good apart from that I ran out of gas a bit sooner than I'm used to. 2-2 against Clayton.


Bench
20kg x20
40kg x10
60kg x5,4
55kg x8,8,8,20
Used a narrower grip where my pinkies are about an inch inside the rings. Also used about 45-60s rests which is fairly short for me. Got to measure the different bars we have in the gym tomorrow.

BoR
60kg x5
80kg x5,5,5,5,5

2H KB OH
16kg x12,10,10

WGPU's
20kg x5,5,5,5,4

DB Bench
28kg x8,8,7

Face Pulls
21.25kg x20,20,20

Nice workout. Only the BoR's felt slow, otherwise it was nice and snappy.
JaakoIcon...01-07-2008 @ 15:31 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Tuesday

Ab-f**king-wheel
Knees x10,10,10
Still bloody sore from Sundays workout. Could only manage ten reps each set and each and everyone of them were a b**ch. Got to be consistent on this one if I'm even going to start any kind of progression without bailing out due to soreness everytime I start with it.

Pulley Crunches
38.75kg x10,10,15

45 Back Extensions
5kg x30,30
This exercise is funny. Each time I do it I find a slightly different way of executing it. Today I realised you can actually work the hip drive pretty well and I've never managed to work the hip drive successfully in any other exercise before so this is good.

Chins
BW x10

Dips
BW x15
JaakoIcon...02-07-2008 @ 22:49 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Wednesday

Squats
20kg x20
60 x10
80kg x8
100kg x6
120kg x4
140kg x3,3,3,3,3,3
No belt today and got to say that I rather squat with belt now that I'm used to it. Got better and better each set.

SLDL
100kg x5
130kg x5,5,5
100kg x11

DB Row
34kg x12,12
stopped after second set as I had some pain in my right obliques area when working the left side
JaakoIcon...03-07-2008 @ 13:46 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Bad soreness in legs and glutes. Not the crippling type but the deep tired tight feeling. Squash felt good but afterwards the legs were even worse off.

Thursday

Squash - 50min
3 - 3 against clayton.

Ab-wheel
Knees x15,10

Pulley crunches
33.75kg x20,20

45 Back extensions
5kg x32,32

I was totally f**ked after that. Funny as well that I'm getting more and more vascularity on my legs and now my shins are starting to look pretty nasty from all the newly appearing veins. And I'm bloody eating as much as I possibly can at the moment and thought I was gaining some body fat but that seems to have turned around now and I'm leaning out again. Think I need to add in some handfuls of nuts throughout the days.
dr_hazbunIcon...04-07-2008 @ 08:50 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
I saw some of the vids of your lifting at the Euros mate and that platform was very slippy indeed. Doesn't bother the conv puller as much but with sumo slippy platform = broken toes or worse still, a failed lift! That's where having a good coach/meet manager comes in handy. All the sumo pullers I saw at the British last weekend made extra sure the platform was safe and powder free before lifting.
JaakoIcon...04-07-2008 @ 15:27 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
dr_hazbun said:
I saw some of the vids of your lifting at the Euros mate and that platform was very slippy indeed. Doesn't bother the conv puller as much but with sumo slippy platform = broken toes or worse still, a failed lift! That's where having a good coach/meet manager comes in handy. All the sumo pullers I saw at the British last weekend made extra sure the platform was safe and powder free before lifting.


Yeah, never had the problem before as I used to lift conventional so it was a surprise to me. Saying that I should have spotted the issue in the warmup area but for some reason it didn't connect why I ended up almost smashing my toes each time I put down the bar, but it was always my left foot only so thought it was something wrong with my form.



Friday 4 July

Legs and glutes as well as adductors now are still damn sore today.

Speed bench
20kg x20
50 3x3
52.5kg 3x3
55kg 3x3
60kg 3x3
Only took 5 breaths between sets which might be a bit too short as the speed slowed down quite a bit on the last 2 sets

Military
50kg 5x5
Harder than I expected them to be.

DB Row
36kg 5x12
Much better than Wednesday

Ez-bar pullover to tri extension
10kg 2x15
Really like the feel of this exercise

Seated WG Row
45kg 5x15

DB OH
16kg x12,10,10
Supersetted with Pullups and chins

Pullups and Chins
BW x10 PU
BW x8,8 Chins

Very nice workout.
JaakoIcon...06-07-2008 @ 22:08 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Sunday

BW: 71kg

Went down to train with some PL friends which was nice. Good with a bit of change to the pace and trying other approaches as I simply went with their routine.

I got some good pointers on my Sumo DL that I need to keep in mind.

1: I need to get the bar right on my shins as I set up.
2: I need to place my supinated hand (left) half an inch further out to get the balance right.
3: I need to work on my flexibility again to be able to squeeze my hips down and closer to the bar more consistently.

Bench:

1: I need to work on my groove more as I'm currently pressing straight up why I lose drive halfway up from the chest. I need to make the transition from the bottom part to upper part more smoothly and work on placing the bar over my shoulders at lock out.

Also tried out board pressing for the first time properly and absolutely loved it. Managed a triple with 100kg piss easy with a 4-5board which is probably not that spectacular but I feel I can use this to get used to a bit heavier weights in my hands and strengthen up my lock out. 100kg for a triple to a 2-3 board was also fairly smooth and not too hard. I think board work is something I could really benefit from, but the main focus is got to be the groove from the chest to lockout.

Sumo DL
60kg x8
110kg x6
130kg x2
150kg x2
175kg x2
200kg x1 tried double but failed second rep at the floor

Conventional DL
110kg x8,8
Done with as fast pulls as possible

Bench Press
60kg x8,8
90kg x3,3
4/5 Board 100kg x3
2/3 Board 100kg x3
IainKendrickIcon...07-07-2008 @ 10:41 
Avatar
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Good work. Was that down Sunbury?
JaakoIcon...07-07-2008 @ 15:06 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Thanks, Iain!

Yes, that was down in Sunbury with Rick and Aaron. Aaron was testing out his new bench shirt (Katana) as well which was quite interesting. He went up to 140kg but couldn't touch the chest with that even so he might have picked the wrong shirt as it might be a bit too much for him but I'm guessing he just needs to work it in.

Have a feeling they'll get me into trying some equipped lifting soon as well, and I wouldn't mind trying some squatting to be honest. Just for fun though.

Monday

Bench
20kg x20
40kg x10
65kg x5
67.5kg x4
70kg x3
60kg x8,8,17

BoR
60kg x5
82.5kg x5,5,5,5,10
Only intended to do 5x5 but after the 3rd set I started feeling better and the pain in my right elbow that I had on the first three sets was gone so after the 4th set I decided I'll get as many good reps as I can on the last set. Was surprised to get 10. Up to 85kg next then I guess. Need to video these next time to make sure my form is as good as I think it is.

2H KB Press
20kg x8,6,5
16kg x7,8

DB BoR
38kg x10,10,10

Quick and hard session. Was out of breath pretty much throughout after the last set on the bench. Felt real good and strong though. If I had more time I could have added some DB Bench and tri work but as I did some benching yesterday as well I figure I might have done enough anyway.
paul_richardsIcon...07-07-2008 @ 17:32 
Avatar
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
how come your repping bench weight is low (compared to your single)
JaakoIcon...07-07-2008 @ 22:53 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Just started out this new bench routine and it starts off quite light but it adjusts itself from week to week depending on how I do on th elast rep out set. I think it's more the last two three sets that are just now about conditioning.

I was recommended to start off with a lighter "1RM" to allow myself to increase the "new 1RM" each week. No idea how it will pan out but I trust the guy I'm getting the help from and I know I need volume right now anyway.

Only issue now after i tried board pressing on Sunday is that I want to add in board pressing on top of everything else now but also want to give this routine a proper shot first.
JaakoIcon...08-07-2008 @ 17:01 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Tuesday

Squats
20kg x20
60kg x10
80kg x8
100kg x6
120kg x4
140kg x4,4,4,4,4,4
With belt today which was so much nicer.

SLDL
100kg x5
130kg x5,5,5,4
Lost count of the sets before the last one, so not sure if I got three or four sets of five.

RDL
100kg x10

Shrugs
100kg x20,25
And the second set done without straps using a hook grip.
JaakoIcon...22-07-2008 @ 17:19 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Tuesday

First workout in two weeks.

Bench
20kg x20
40kg x10
70kg x5
72.5kg x4,3
62.5kg x8,18

CGBP
60kg x8,8,6

Squats
60kg x10
80kg x8
100kg x6
120kg x4
130kg x2
140kg x2
150kg x1,1
Not very good, was slow as hell, and I seem to move a bit strange kind of like in an S-shape rather than just straight up. i don't seem to be very tight and as I drive up again my knees seem to drift forward and I become more upright. Doesn't feel all that bad but don't think it'll be effective with top weight. Good thing is that 150kg didn't feel all that heavy, as I expected it to. Need to work some light speed singles tomorrow and Thursday so that I will have some chance to get something over 170kg on Saturday.

WGPU's
BW x12

Extra wide PG PU's
BW x10,8
IainKendrickIcon...22-07-2008 @ 20:32 
Avatar
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
2 weeks of your bound to be slow. Its your bodies way of telling you you've been lazy Tongue

Just for fun though


Many a heavy and wild night has followed similar sentements!

Prediction; jaako lifts in 2010 BPC finals as a 100kg lifter Tongue
JaakoIcon...23-07-2008 @ 23:28 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
IainKendrick said:Prediction; jaako lifts in 2010 BPC finals as a 100kg lifter Tongue


Hehe, well if I could just stay at my moms place for two years it would be possible Grin

Wednesday

Bit sore in my legs, back and chest today. Just wanted to get some squats done, but had no plan and just decided to work up the weight as long as it was comfortable. Ended up quite a bit better than I had hoped for.

Squats
60kg x6
80kg x6
100kg x6
120kg x1
130kg x1
140kg x1
150kg x1
160kg x1
170kg xF
140kg x2,2,2
160kg felt so easy i just had to have a go at 170kg. It felt really easy as I walked it out so I thought I had it without any major effort but as I got to the grind I didn't have th ewill or focus. Quite happy I didn't go full out as I can leave that to Saturday now instead. This was a good confidence boost.

Military Press
40kg x3
50kg x3
60kg x1
65kg x1
60kg x3
50kg x5
65kg felt strong but I also felt like I crushed my rib cage somehow, like I twisted it. Wery weird as I didn't know if it was my back or my sternum or both that ached. Decided to not try for a PB here. 65kg still equals my PB in the MP.

s/s Chins & WGPU's
BW x16 Chins
BW x10 WGPU's

s/s DB BP
24kg x12,12
For da pumpz

12345678910 ... ... 3334353637383940414243

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions