REGISTER
 

Skinny bastards aim to get a bit less skinny

12345678910 ... ... 3334353637383940414243

JaakoIcon...12-06-2009 @ 14:53 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Cheers, Paul! Not sure when I will attempt 180kg in the squat again though...

Friday

Cycle 2 - week 1

Conv. DL
60kg x10,10
80kg x8
100kg x6
120kg x5
140kg x5
147.5kg x5
157.5kg x10 PB!
Again on the last two reps it was more my upper back that was struggling. I find this weird as I've never "felt" that it's a weak link, always thought it's my lower back. Maybe it's been my upper back all along but whenever I strain myself or injure myself it's in my lower back why I think that's the weak area. Maybe my lower back get's punished instead of my upper back which is the real link that's always failed to keep tight? Weird....
The PB is a Wendler formula 1tRM PB.... Never repped out 10 with more than 140kg before Happy


Power Shrugs
150kg x5,5,5
120kg x20,17+5
Man, these get the whole f**king upper back! All around the shoulder blades, upper erectors and traps of course. Also gives me a tension head ache, sometimes a little that disappears after a few seconds and other times it lasts a little bit longer. Nothing major...

SLDL
100kg x10,10,10,10,10*
*Did the last set with a reset on the floor. Works much much better and manage to get the stretch and tightness in my hamstrings better this way. Much more of a squeeze and hip drive as well.

Hamstring curls
40kg x16,16,16
Was f**ked at this stage so couldn't make myself push through another two sets here. Barely got the last three four reps anyway..
Paul_DIcon...12-06-2009 @ 23:30 
Avatar
Hey mate, my name is Paul Dudley
Member 632, 3628 posts
SQ 200, BP 155, DL 282.5
637.5 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Looks like a strong session there Jaako, strong deadlifting. 160kg would have just been that bit sweeter though.... Grin . I managed a 160kgx8 deadlift, almost killed me. I think that more than 2 reps on a deadlift is cardio. Certainly not for me Happy .

Paul
paul_richardsIcon...13-06-2009 @ 11:41 
Avatar
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
157 for 10, bet that was hard
JaakoIcon...13-06-2009 @ 20:31 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Thanks, guys!

160kg would have been nicer but I knew 157 would be hard enough and there's another guy on another board who would have had my bo***cks off if I went heavier than planned. I'm already after a month in to this routine changing things around, so the least I can do is stick to the planned weights.

The set I did was with a reset at the floor, and after 5 reps I had to take another breath at the top and before rep 9 and 10 I had to let the grip off the bar to stand up in order to to get a proper breath and refocus.

For a long time I've lived with the rule: High rep DL's = Strained back sooner rather than later!

So, when I do higher rep DL sets now I make sure to take my time and set up proper for each rep. I've pulled my back three times in the last couple of years and two of those were down to pushing through DL's when I was too fatigued to stay focused on the form and just toughed them out.

I'm sure both of you could get 160kg x10 easy.
Paul_DIcon...13-06-2009 @ 23:32 
Avatar
Hey mate, my name is Paul Dudley
Member 632, 3628 posts
SQ 200, BP 155, DL 282.5
637.5 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
I think I may have a 160kgx10 in me now, but it certainly wouldn't be "easy". I'm tempted to have a bash at that now, but with a bad back it's not the best idea.

Paul
JaakoIcon...15-06-2009 @ 16:29 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Monday

MP
20kg x20
40kg x5
50kg x3
55kg x3
57.5kg x3
60kg x1
62.5kg x1
65kg x1
67.5kg x1
60kg x5,4,4,4
Ok, better thanlast week at least. After the top singel I managed more reps with 60kg than I did with 57.5kg last week. Actually went for a 6th rep but at sticking point I got to a grind and something clicked in my coxyc and I lost my focus. Not sure if I would have managed to grind out the 6th rep anyway, but that would have been an alltime rep PB for me. Best I've ever managed is 5 reps with 60kg before. I'm more and more confident that working up to a heavyt single before any rep work helps me a lot when it comes to repping out.

Bench
70kg x10,10
80kg x8,6
90kg x4
Had to work in with four other guys who said they were going to be about an hour on the bench. Couldn't be bothered to change the weights around so just went with what was loaded on the bar.

Seated Wide PG Row
84kg x10,10,10,10,10

DB Side Raises
12.5kg x15,15,15

Pretty quick workout (for me...) as I left it a bit late.
paul_richardsIcon...15-06-2009 @ 17:13 
Avatar
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
how MP first, isnt that going to reduce energy for bench ?
JaakoIcon...15-06-2009 @ 23:08 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
paul_richards said:
how MP first, isnt that going to reduce energy for bench ?


MP was the main lift of the day and bench is thrown in as assistance lift. Was meant to do 5x10 or 11 with 72.5kg in the bench today but as it was so busy I just went with what was loaded on the bar. I got talked in to doing the 90kg bench which I thought was way too heavy for me to do but went with it and it wasn't too bad.

I'm doing Bench as my main lift on Thursday (up to a single and then 3-4 sets of 3+ reps) followed by MP as assistance lift with 40kg 5 sets of 10+.

Actually, think I missed to add another set of 80kgx6 in the entry, cause 90kg was a sixth set after I was "done" with the five sets I had planned to do...
JaakoIcon...16-06-2009 @ 16:18 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Tuesday

Dragging my feet today again and didn't leave much time for the workout...

Squats
Usual warm ups..
135kg x3
142.5kg x3
150kg x1
160kg x1
170kg x1
150kg x7,3,3
I don't think I benefit as well from working up to a top single in the squat as I do in the OH and Bench. I also think I'll benefit more in regards to my benching and OH pressing if i avoid the heavier Squats and DL's for a while. Will see how my squats work out with just a few sets with the repping out top set weight. Wanted 8 reps for a new PB but the 7th rep my back curved quite a bit in a good morning style squat so stopped it there. The next two sets showed I didn't have much more in me anyway.

Leg Press
100kg x5
150kg x5
200kg x10,10,10,10,10

Some guys were curling in the squat rack and that was all the excuse I needed to cut the session short...
mikeypIcon...16-06-2009 @ 20:33 
Avatar
bollocks to global warming
Member 475, 1735 posts
SQ 200, BP 125, DL 235
560.0 kgs @ 115kgs UnEq
Jaako said:
Thursday

Cycle 2 - week 1

Quick note: Today I decided to work up to a heavy single after the second set of the 5/3/1 set up. I.e I would warm up with 75% x5, 80% x5 and then do a single with 90kg, 95kg , 100kg and after this drop down again to my third work set and do 85% x5+ (target was 9 reps to beat my previous best theoretical 1RM).

The reason for me wanting to try this out was because so far whenever I've gotten to my top set and supposed to rep it out I still feel I haven't had enough warm up sets or practice and I simply don't feel "primed". I remember from past workouts when I've done back off sets and noticed how much easier it is top rep out with a relatively heavy rep weight. And this even after multiple singles at 95% of 1RM or more.

Strong lifting lately Jaako.
I think hitting reps at higher than the prescribed %ages is probably not ideal for long term improvements on the 5 3 1. As I understand it the programme is set up for longer term steady gains which are achieved by avoiding the big singles all the time. IMO jacking up the intensity and tapping into the body's resources all the time will lead to stalling earlier.
I could be completely wrong however, it's just my opinion, it would be a good question to ask big Jim over at EliteWink
JaakoIcon...16-06-2009 @ 23:25 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Cheers, Mikey!

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. In all fairness what I'm changing this routine to is not a Wendler's 5/3/1 routine any more. I'm simply just using his periodization and set up but changing some parameters in a way I believe I will respond best to. It doesn't mean that I will actually have better results in the long run compared to if I was to stick with his routine to the letter.

For now I think I'll stick to the extra singles and extra top sets for a bit more volume. I won't use the singles in the Squat and DL as I want to see how my bench responds like if I stay away from heavy singles in the Squat and DL. I'm thinking that is where I've been fooling myself for a long time.

For the last year or two I've worked heavy singles in Squat and DL every week (more or less) and they have been 95%+ in both lifts. I've done the same in the Bench. Only that the Squat and DL has improved OK, but not my bench. Looking back now I think I might have done better if i would have cycled the intensity instead of banging it all the time, at least to help my bench.

If i can get more reps out of a 85% weight after working a few 90-100% singles (as long as they aren't grinders) I might as well do both. Seems like I would be holding back more if I didn't. The whole 5/3/1 idea is to progress on the rep out sets, and if I do that I'm on the right way. Or maybe I'm just using "tricks" now just to beat my previous cycle, and shooting myself in the foot in the long run.
JaakoIcon...18-06-2009 @ 16:00 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Thursday

Bench
80kg x3
85kg x3
90kg x1
92.5kg x1
95kg x1
97.5kg x1
100kg x1
90kg x5,5,4
Didn't feel that good benching today. Left anterior delt area felt tight, but at the same time the tighness seemed conected to my neck. 100kg touch'n'go was quite heavy. Couldn't load up my back at all today and shoulders were working overtime. Mayeb the too heavy bench sets on Monday hit me today?

MP
40kg x12,12,13
These felt solid.

WGPU
BW x13,13,13

CGBP
50kg x15,15,15

A bit less than the previous weeks today but just as tired and pumped, just not as beaten up. Guess that's a good thing.
JaakoIcon...18-06-2009 @ 16:05 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Went through my log since April/May last year and from what i can see it looks like I can push all three lifts fairly hard for about two, sometimes up to three months if the beginning is a bit conservative and slower, then PB's happen. Thing is I seem to get gready and keep pushing harder and banging my head against the wall for another two weeks or so and then things regress and I get sick or injured.

Since it's usually in my squat or DL that I get injured or if I get sick those two take a whiile (about a month) to get going so bench improves and when Squats and DL's catch up I have a streak of PB's in all lifts for two three weeks. So staying away from heavy Squats and DL's and only going heavy in them once every other month say one month max out on squats and next DL. Maybe max out on Bench once a month after deload week?

I think this should be good change for a start:

- Not maxing out in Squats or DL's within a two month gap. Stay with the 5/3/1 routine for those two lifts.
- When I max out in the Squat and DL I do it on the third week of the 5/3/1 routine before the de-load week.
- Not maxing out in Bench or MP within a two month gap. Use the 5/3/1 periodization but work up to a comfortable top single and then drop down to 5/3/1 top set weight for 3-4 sets.
- When I max out in the Bench or MP I do it in the week after a de-load week. Leaves at least two weeks between a Max Squat/Dl and a Max Bench/MP.
- Dropping assistance sets from 5x10-20 to 3x10-20
- Forcing myself to do a proper de-load week
- run this to October at least....

- Only once a year do the Russian Squat routine (12 weeks), probably best scheduled in the late autumn (Oct-Dec) as I start eating more then. Only High rep sets for any other lifts during these three months.
Take X-mas vacation and then start getting ready for first divisional qualifyer in Feb/Mar i.e one 5/3/1 cycle and then a month of comp prep... whatever that will look like... singles, doubles and triples and drop assistance work?
paul_richardsIcon...18-06-2009 @ 17:33 
Avatar
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
I think to progress you have to most of the time but not by doing singles
JaakoIcon...19-06-2009 @ 16:06 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Yeah, singles have their time and place but I think I've been trying to use them for too long.

Friday

Conv. DL 1'' deficit
usual warmups
147.5kg x3
157.5kg x3
167.5kg x8 PB!
Aimed for 7 but had 8 in me, could probably gotten one or two more but got worried about my upper back slack on the last reps. On the last three reps I noticed that my upper back started to give a bit at the bottom which makes the lockout so much harder compared to if the upper back stays tight from the start to finish. On the PB front I think my best heavy repper is 170x5 that I did in April. It's a new Wendler formula PB at least that gives me a 212kg theoretical max.

Power Shrugs
155kg x5,5,5
120kg x20,20
Still working on the teqnique on these ones. It's a bit tricky getting the hip drive and then to extend up on the toes. When I really manage a full extension I can really feel it in the traps, but no matter how I do it my mid back works hard on these.

SLDL 1'' deficit
100kg x10,10,10
Worked these dead stop from the floor. I find it much easier to get a proper stretch and drive with my hamstrings this way. Serious lat work as well.

Leg curls
45kg x15,12,10

12345678910 ... ... 3334353637383940414243

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions