REGISTER
 

Skinny bastards aim to get a bit less skinny

12345678910 ... ... 3334353637383940414243

JaakoIcon...20-06-2008 @ 10:30 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Thanks, Paul!

Well, I'm off to Ireland then. The good thing is that my calf is healing up real fast. Yesterday morning I could barely put any weight on the foot, by mid day i was limping around quite well and by evening I was almost walking as normal just a little bit of tenderness. This morning I'm walking just fine and even squatted down to pick up my son and realised that there was barely any pull at all on the wound.

So, i'm quite positive that i'll be able to compete just fine. Got some "Steri-strip" (non stitch tape) and a tubing (if I'm allowed to wear it) that should help to reinforce the stitches just in case.

My weight should be about 68kg now acording to my very unreliable scales so I'm quite optimistic that I'll weigh in just fine at the first go. Lost quite a bit of body fat but not sure how much water I'm still holding but as I won't eat much today I should be able to drop just a bit more.

The plan:

Squat:
1st 160kg
2nd 170kg
3rd 175kg

Bench
1st 95kg
2nd 100kg
3rd 105kg

DL
200kg
215kg
220kg

Total:
Worst case 455kg still a PB by 25kg
Best case 500kg which would just be awesome and possibly make me competetive for the third place overall in the 67.5kg.

This will probably be my last time I compete in the 67.5kg class. Can't wait to eat proper for a while again

Wish me luck
paul_richardsIcon...20-06-2008 @ 11:39 
Avatar
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
you will make weight easily, if you are under then eat
JaakoIcon...24-06-2008 @ 16:05 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Spot on, Paul!

Weighed 67.7kg Friday evening as we got to the venue and the scales were there and we were encouraged to check our weight. Had some to eat (one chicken kebab and two drum sticks as well as some tomatoes) after that I drank about 3-3.5 liter of water before i went to sleep.

Weigh in: 67.5kg first go Applause

Results:

Squat:
1: 150kg Good
2: 162.5kg Good
3: 172.5kg Good 7.5kg PB!

Bench:
1: 95kg Good
2: 100kg No Lift!
3: 100kg No Lift!

DL:
1: 200kg Good
2: 225kg No Lift!
3: No attempt

Total: 467.5kg PB by 37.5kg

My lifts look a bit strange and I'll explain later but I simply gunned for third place and needed a 225kg DL to get it.
IainKendrickIcon...24-06-2008 @ 16:38 
Avatar
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Yep Jaako you had a strange comp and on another day you could have indeed battled for 3rd. As you know your deadlifts where not as good as you could have been, not helped by the slip! Still it was a big total pb and you went for 3rd spot good an hard!!!
JaakoIcon...25-06-2008 @ 09:11 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Yeah, I guess could have gotten the 215kg deadlift PB but Rick figured that I only had one chance at the 225kg and if I did 215kg before that I wouldn't have had any chance at all at 225kg. I agreed and I couldn't really care less if I finished 5th instead of 6th, 3rd on the other hand would have been great so i took the chance. In the future though I think I'm just going to stick to my plan no matter what and if I'm going to chance anything it'll be on my 3rd lift. Openers will be comfortable and a last warmup before a PB attempt on second and the third attempt left for a second go on PB if I fail first time or a wildcard if I can grab an actual position.

Also, not sure if it affected me that much but remember that the first three flights benched with the rings on the bar about 2" too wide as they hadn't measured the bar until someone in the 82.5's complained about ring distance. But I guess it affected us all in my flight so if the bar had been right and I got the 100kg bench the other guys might have gotten higher benches as well and the positions wouldn't have been any different.
IainKendrickIcon...25-06-2008 @ 09:14 
Avatar
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Forgot about that bench bar problem. That was a terrible mistake by organs to make and it def would have affected you liftin!
MattGriffIcon...25-06-2008 @ 10:19 
Avatar
Member 194, 3976 posts
IainKendrick said:
Forgot about that bench bar problem. That was a terrible mistake by organs to make and it def would have affected you liftin!


Yeah was a bit gay, i think they changed that bar as the loaders couldn't get plates on it to start with. Brains of the irish I suppose!!!!!

Oh and Jaako - cut your f**king hair you girl!!!!
JaakoIcon...25-06-2008 @ 12:17 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
MattGriff said:
IainKendrick said:
Forgot about that bench bar problem. That was a terrible mistake by organs to make and it def would have affected you liftin!


Yeah was a bit gay, i think they changed that bar as the loaders couldn't get plates on it to start with. Brains of the irish I suppose!!!!!

Oh and Jaako - cut your f**king hair you girl!!!!


Haha, even the waitress at the dinner called me Madam, until she had a proper look and quickly corrected herself by adding Sir, lol!

It's going to be the secret behind my strength, like Samson...
paul_richardsIcon...25-06-2008 @ 13:15 
Avatar
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
well done jacqueline, great total, even though there was probably more there on a different day. I think as your weight increases your lifts will go through the roof, I fear I maybe a pound poorer.
JaakoIcon...26-06-2008 @ 00:12 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
Thanks, Paul!

Your lifts are coming along just fine and I'm not so far behind in BW as you might think. I'm already up over 70kg and will probably pass 75kg in two months tops. I'm probably aiming at around 78kg after New Year and then start trimming down for the SE qualifier. I'm going to become a bench maniac for the next year.

Wednesday

Bench
20kg x20
40kg x10
60kg x6
80kg x6,6,5,6,4,3

CGBP
60kg x8,8,8

BoR
60kg x10,10,10

WGPU's
BW x5
20kg x1
40kg x1
46.25kg xF only half way up
20kg x5
BW x10,10,10

DB Bench supersetted with BW Pullups
26kg x10,10,8
EDCLARKEIcon...26-06-2008 @ 08:34 
Avatar
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 11010 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
great effort at the comp,sounds like you had a few things against you but still recorded an excellent total
with more to come!
paul_richardsIcon...26-06-2008 @ 16:13 
Avatar
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
78KG you fat bas***d Grin. my weight is down from 77K to 74K, hopefully another 2K of lard will come off within the next few months
IainKendrickIcon...26-06-2008 @ 16:19 
Avatar
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
The tenison mounts! How will be a pound richer and how soon will they win that fortune! It would be great if you both had a crack at it at the same event. Time will tell!
paul_richardsIcon...26-06-2008 @ 17:43 
Avatar
I personally prefer the stiffest possible.
Member 158, 3110 posts
SQ 170, BP 107.5, DL 222.5
500.0 kgs @ 67.4kgs UnEq
IainKendrick said:
The tenison mounts! How will be a pound richer and how soon will they win that fortune! It would be great if you both had a crack at it at the same event. Time will tell!


I'd personally say Jaako has the upperhand as he is already lifting about the same as me (if not a touch more). So as his weight increases his lifts should see a nice increase. I think 550KG total is 1-2yrs away for me.

It would be good if we both goto the SC/SE next year.
JaakoIcon...26-06-2008 @ 22:54 
Mr. Abb.
Member 239, 581 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 100, DL 212.5
485.0 kgs @ 74.1kgs UnEq
We'll see next year Paul. Are you going down in weight for a comp soon? If you are just trying to lean out i would just try and do it properly for two weeks and then start ramping up the weights again and as the weights are creeping up to old time bests start eating proper then for as long as you are able to push in to new territory. That's how I seem to be doing it now anyway. I just have to watch it for another week or so that I don't get into a habit of eating too much junk like doughnuts and chocolate etc now that I'm allowing myself to eat proper again.

Think I went back to squatting too early. Felt good today so thought I might as well get started on working the squat again. Bad idea as on my 120kg warmup set I got a pain in my left patella tendon which could be tendonitis. I felt it aftgerwards once in a while, especially when squatting down or getting up of a chair quickly and sometimes when walking stairs. Hopefully it's nothing that won't resolve itself quickly so will leave out squatting heavy for a week or so.

Just got the invite to BDFPA's British Single lifts in end of July. I wanted to go and do the Squat but as I'm so damn poor right now I'm thinking maybe it won't be so bad to skip it and just start working on a solid plan for next year. That way my next comp would be the SE/SC Divisional in Feb.

Thursday

Squats
20kg x20
60kg x10
80kg x8
100kg x6
120kg x4

SLDL
140kg x3,3,3
120kg x10

Power Shrugs
140kg x7,6,6,10

Some Pullups, Chins and DB OH presses.

12345678910 ... ... 3334353637383940414243

© Sugden Barbell 2026 Privacy - Terms & Conditions