Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosTraining Alone

Training Alone

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Can you realistically get anywhere (ie. massively improve lifts/always progressing) training alone?

I know there will be variables, but excluding those, considering everything equal?
I pretty much do. I'd rather not but them are the circumstances.
Ye its more than possible. Just train hard and make sure that if you fail reps etc.. there is a way to not be....well crushedGrin.
Of course you can but you must remain motivated. It helps to have others around for safety when squatting/benching and it very useful to get feedback on your lifts too. You train at Catts don't you? Some of the best lifters in the region train there, why not join in with them from time to time? Especially before a contest.
sometimes at Catts, depends which gym is easiest to get too for the time I have available

I have planned to go up to Catts and train on occassion (last night was going to try squat with PorkPie etc) but with work I can never guarantee I can get there (as was the case last night!!)

If Ian trains alone, than I definitely know you can still be very successful
i actually prefer to train alone most of the time. as long as you have a way of spotting yourself, its great to just do what you want, when you want with no distractions;

for me the ideal would be one session a week with guys stronger and better than me for technique and motivation, and then a couple of sessions on my own.
Yea I do it now and again, I think the only way for you to make it work is if you are motivated and have been exposed to training with others especially those that are stronger than you, and therefore definately know what you want and where you want to be with your training.

But if you are a lone soldier that is still trying to find your foot in this game, then forget it, you will be stuck in a rut forever.
I am with Iain and Nico on this one I actually prefer to train alone but I also recognise the importance of dropping by a gym regularly which I NOW DO....I guess its about your make up.I used to do marathons and always trained alone and had no problems motivating myself....Never liked waiting around to get started because some one was late....or someone hogging the bench...In my opinion training logs and performance goals such as those on Sugden are brilliant for the solo trainer and are a great source of info and encouragement to me.
I am doing it at the moment and will be for the foreseeable. I would say do anything in your power to train with someone or in a group though, even just from time to time. Somethimes you think you're training hard, but you're not.

Once Im back anywhere near respectable poundages I'll be making trips up North to lift with the Dengeon Boys, oh and to take the piss out of Joni.
I so wish I could train with other PLers. Occasionally (some Wednesdays) a guy comes round to train with me but he's kinda an ex BBer so can't help me with technique or anything. However, it's great encouragement to have him there and he loves to really go for it on the big lifts which is how I am, so that's good.

In terms of motivation, I do not have a problem with that. I am ALWAYS keen to go into my barn, alone, cold, whatever, and make progress. But yes I'm sure I would squeeze out the odd extra rep with encouragement etc. However, I don't feel like I'm in a rut the way Icepick has said. At the same time I'm sure that my progress would be quicker if I trained say at Adlington instead of on my own. It's a circumstance thing, and you've just got to make the best of it sometimes.
JD
i train on my own, just use a power cage thingy. just incase.
Neil said:
In terms of motivation, I do not have a problem with that. I am ALWAYS keen to go into my barn, alone, cold, whatever, and make progress. But yes I'm sure I would squeeze out the odd extra rep with encouragement etc. However, I don't feel like I'm in a rut the way Icepick has said. At the same time I'm sure that my progress would be quicker if I trained say at Adlington instead of on my own. It's a circumstance thing, and you've just got to make the best of it sometimes.

Thanks for all your replies guys. I kind of echo Neils sentiments (apart from the barn bit) Happy
I train on my own 2 out of my 4 sessions a week. I find that if you've got a solid goal in mind it is very easy to stay motivated and make each session productive.
AndyH
I trained on my own for years with pretty good results. But you really do need to be focused on what you want to achieve otherwise it becomes easy to wander.
Icepick said:
But if you are a lone soldier that is still trying to find your foot in this game, then forget it, you will be stuck in a rut forever.

disagree with this entirely. it depends on your attitude. ive always trained alone and probably always will. If you need someone else to motivate you into making progress youre probably in the wrong game IMO.

You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosTraining Alone
Return to top View Desktop Site