REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 213 guests

Is Competitive Powerlifting a Complete Farce?

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

RickIcon...18-09-2007 @ 21:29 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10036 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Like you, I really liked Little A's "federation of 1" comment. In the end, we do this because it makes us happy.
JoniIcon...18-09-2007 @ 21:33 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Olly...
Well apart from the monolift and the equipment. They seem to interpret the rules regarding what counts as parallel a little differently. (The f**kers squat high)

slight correction of the tone here man, it is not the lifter who should be attacked, but the ref. Lifter will squat as high as s/he can get away with - that is the name of the game, max poundages, it is the ref who should be called names, not the lifters.

= the f**kers let high squats pass

Wink

badboy, fed should be run by the lifters if it was properly democratic, so that would be "running things ourselves". Also, it is all done on voluntary basis and so on. I give loads of respect for folk who are putting in the voluntary unpaid hours and effort to keep things running.
brynevansIcon...18-09-2007 @ 21:33 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
Of course theres nothing stopping you.
I might start my own athletics organisation, It's open to all people in my town over 130kg, the sprint event is on an unmeasured downhill course and can only be run with a tailwind. We are holding our World championships next week im feeling confident at the moment, I hoping to smash Asafa Powells 9.74 second time.
badboy007Icon...18-09-2007 @ 21:35 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
lol. that would be pretty cool. Can we have eating contests too?
BoarIcon...18-09-2007 @ 21:36 
Nothing left in the tank.
Member 5, 25580 posts
Administrator
didnt know you were into athletics !!

should come along to our sugden athletics meet (when we have one)

all feds welcome !!!
badboy007Icon...18-09-2007 @ 21:36 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
I seriously think we should start a fed...Aiming at very young lifters, 14-18 and juniors. That's where the future is. Most of BWLA is very old.
CuddlesIcon...18-09-2007 @ 21:39 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Originally posted by Joni...
Originally posted by Olly...
Well apart from the monolift and the equipment. They seem to interpret the rules regarding what counts as parallel a little differently. (The f**kers squat high)

slight correction of the tone here man, it is not the lifter who should be attacked, but the ref. Lifter will squat as high as s/he can get away with - that is the name of the game, max poundages, it is the ref who should be called names, not the lifters.

= the f**kers let high squats pass

Wink

badboy, fed should be run by the lifters if it was properly democratic, so that would be "running things ourselves". Also, it is all done on voluntary basis and so on. I give loads of respect for folk who are putting in the voluntary unpaid hours and effort to keep things running.

Yeah good point. Dont disagree with that at all. When I said interpretation of the rules I meant the refs. Not the lifters. Although I dont believe they are completely blamefree. A lot of them know that theyre squats are high, but do them nevertheless. That isnt blameless imo.
FatpeteIcon...18-09-2007 @ 22:01 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17920 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Before we all start getting giddy. Let me just say that I like leaving things to other people. I like people to organize dates, venues, officials, equipment, MCs, scales, scoreboards. I enjoy leaving all that to someone else, and all of these people deserve our thanks. Because they leave me free to concentrate on the lifting, I roll in and everything is sorted, I lift, I leave, and the people are still there sorting. Good on them I say. Referees tend to take most stick and probably always will, but we can't do it without them. So before you start founding rival federations run by the lifters, just think what is actually involved here, and count me out. I like it just the way it is. Poeple running round organizing contests for me to lift in, whilst I lie on the couch shoving pies into my big fat face. Sounds good to me. To all the unsung heros a huge thank you. See you in December.
brynevansIcon...18-09-2007 @ 22:06 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
Post Edited: 18.09.2007 @ 22:15 PM
Next year we are hoping to hold a Lancs vs Yorks "Roses Cup" event aimed specifically at junior/novice lifters perhaps as a team event based on Wilks points.
Hopefully we can get enough lifters together for that.
We are hoping to hold some more informal training sessions like we did earlier in the year to try and attract more people into the sport. I think all powerlifters need to be ambassadors for the sport.
Im open to suggestions on how we can get new people on the platform. This website has probably accounted for a fair chunk of the new faces that have come onto the scene this year. Myself and Jim took over the running of the Northwest section because there was nobody else willing to take the job on. As was mentioned earlier its really up to the lifters of the region to help support the sport. Martin Flett and Chris Edwards and all his staff have all give enormous support to the contests this year as well as all the refs particularly Barrie Nelson and those who turn up to do loading and spotting like Rick, Joe, Mick, Sue and Marie. I spent a good part of last saturday loading at the south yorks championships. It's really down to the army of volunteers behind the scenes to help make these events a success
JoniIcon...18-09-2007 @ 22:08 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Its good that this site has helped to draw folk in, both in terms of competetors and helpers - and in our own whacky way - ambassadors of sorts.

Makes it all worthwhile i think!
CarlIcon...18-09-2007 @ 22:28 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
this site got me really into powerlifting, and made me want to compete, so i did Grin

this site also gave me the date of the comp i went to and told me it was a divisional and not just a strongman comp, off the back of that i now want to do a beginners strongman comp

and im a southerner!!!
badboy007Icon...18-09-2007 @ 23:02 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
Bryn, good stuff. Sounds like a model other Regions could use.

The NW is deffo more active than the WM (I love both though).

How would a lifter get onto the Lancs team?
badboy007Icon...19-09-2007 @ 00:01 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
What do people think of a NW powerlifting 'league' based on performance, published yearly, calculated by wilks?

There could be an unequipped and equipped section.
Martin1956Icon...19-09-2007 @ 09:50 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7752 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
I tend to get into quite heated debates on other sites about "supplementing" in powerlifting. Undoubtedly it goes on, and I can't be sure about the extent it does, but my bugbear is the "virtually all top lifters juice" brigade who just present their assumptions as facts courtesy of secret information and "someone I know" who lifts at national standard. There are lots of tricks to avoid positive tests, the authorities are in connivance with the athletes, lots of things are undetectable, etc., etc.

Inevitably, not everyone is clean. Some of the lifters I was in Germany with last week will have been on gear or growth, but I don't think any of the British lads were. And I'd bet a year's mortgage that people like Marie are clean as a whistle, but guys who can't accept being outsquatted by "a mere girl" have to find a reason to salve their own self esteem. There's about a 10% chance a lifter will be selected for testing at the event, and not all feds are as assiduous as we are in the UK on out of competition testing.

There IS scope for people at my level to take drugs. As a Master who is nowhere near the elite senior squad, UK Sport are not going to waste £300 on testing me, so if I want to juice up and come off before competitions I could. I choose not to, I can look myself in the mirror aand know I'm clean, but can I prove it? No, unless I get tested twice a week, every week, the naysayers can suggest that I'm just being clever.

I can only talk about Britain, but all our elite athletes get tested before being selected for squads, they get tested at squads, and they get random tested as well. These guys in the main will be naturally strong guys who have trained hard for years before reaching elite level and who then continue to progress through the squad system and the additional stimulus of international competition. That's why they can lift what they do.

People who juice ruin the sport and reduce the chance of powerlifting developing, farless getting into the Olympics. Why should anyone have qualms about "grassing up" someone who is dragging down the sport that they love?

I'll leave it there.
RobIcon...19-09-2007 @ 10:04 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Out of interest Martin, why do you see it as harming the chances of powerlifting getting into the Olympics? Do you think the general public are keener to associate steroids with powerlifting rather than weightlifting - a sport in which there is an awful lot of steroid taking to reach the levels they do (or did!?).

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions