Who's Online - 2 members and 198 guests

Back at it. 150 power clean

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

VanillaGorillaIcon...21-12-2013 @ 17:19 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
HUGE_GUY said:
dr_hazbun said:Shocking form.

Using sloppy form with weights that are too heavy seems to be endemic amongst track and field athletes. I see it every week my gym.

Why is it too heavy? Also i'm not a track and field athlete anymore. I haven't been for years. Most athletes use power cleans just to generate power, not to catch it nicely or even to lift big. Some have egos and like to compete with numbers. As i've trained like an athlete i understand why they can't take time out to learn technique. Most don't start lifting until they are late teens, or like Greg Rutherford, mid 20's before he started cleans. A lot won't ever snatch because of the time wasted on learning it.

Why did i even reply to you, obvious hater. Nothing constructive to say

It's too heavy bedause you can't do it properly.

If you're training the pull to increase power output from the triple extension (something I advocate with many of my athletes) then don't bother catching it, as it will be the compromising factor. Either injury awaits or you'll be lifting waits far below what is required to train your extension purely to enable you to catch it.

If you're training for weightlifting then lower the weight. Far from being 'all about the pull' as so many people are taught, it's all about positioning, and receiving the bar, in which case lower the weight and do it properly. If you don't ingrain the patterns with light weight you'll fall apart under heavy weights.

You already know all this though, I suspect you also know people were going tonsay these things to you.

Recovering from injury myself I understand the need to push and test and risk as soon as possible. That being said, you've tested, now implement the plan you've thought out, and implement some of the excellent advice that has been laid out in this thread Happy
shanejerIcon...21-12-2013 @ 18:30 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:I thought you retired Shane. Never got that 100m video!

Anyway, another lift from today so i can get some hate thrown at me.

Haha well I may aswell of. Been doing a lot of technique work last few months. I haven't sprinted on the track in a long while! It's either pitch black or raining!

x
HUGE_GUYIcon...21-12-2013 @ 21:02 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
Post Edited: 21.12.2013 @ 21:02 PM by HUGE_GUY
You are right VG.

But i think power cleans are over rated for athletes anyway. There are countless world class athletes who clean just like me or worse. Like darya klishina (7m long jumper female....very hot!) Christan Olsson (TJ'er who won everything) who has worse technique with 147kg, and i know a few Russians who catch it horribly low with wide legs. Usain Bolt seems to do a reverse curl. But, it never seems to matter for them.

I've tried a few other power tests before the cleans, and everything is near 100%. I would say a high pull is enough for most athletes too, but it's much more satisfying to catch it and stand up with it. Im sure if i look around youtube i could find a lot more great athletes who can't clean correctly.

Also, people need to chill out. This is THE FIRST TIME in 12 months that i've tried these.It was a way to test my power compared to before (177.5), and i was happy with my level, regardless of technique. I am reasonably intelligent, i've always coached myself and it's not all talent. If i choose weightlifting, i will do it correctly. Also, i've never hurt myself lifting, only running and jumping. I lifted for 5 years with that technique, with emphasis on getting the bar as high as possible with whatever weight i chose on the day, that's all.
WILLSANIcon...21-12-2013 @ 21:39 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
what do you expect people to post? there is solid advice (and praise!) being offered but all you can see is 'hate'.

no doubt you will post another big weight being cleaned with awful technique a few months down the line and complain when people call it as it is.
HUGE_GUYIcon...21-12-2013 @ 22:13 
Member 2745, 803 posts
WILLSAN said:what do you expect people to post? there is solid advice (and praise!) being offered but all you can see is 'hate'.

no doubt you will post another big weight being cleaned with awful technique a few months down the line and complain when people call it as it is.

People don't get this - I have never been a weightlifter! I have never once worked on technique for lifting. I was lost for a while not sure what i was doing while i waited for surgery, and got pretty good at the exercises i enjoy doing while i took time off my sport. If i decide to do lifting, i will get the technique in a month, i've taught others, i can do it myself if i want.

If i decide i don't enjoy lifting and want to do bobled or something else, i will carry on with the way i've done things over the years. Just working on raw power while i work on the technical aspects of my chosen sport. As long as cleans don't hurt me, there's no problem. I never really asked for advice, although i did get some good pointers. I just wanted to post a video, that's all.
Benfrancis1993Icon...21-12-2013 @ 22:14 
Cut toe in half = bad day.
Member 4359, 3581 posts
SQ 270, BP 140, DL 310
720.0 kgs @ 137kgs UnEq
I hate how one guy posting a video of a post injury power clean with shaky form has turned into a s**t storm...
WILLSANIcon...21-12-2013 @ 22:44 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:
People don't get this - I have never been a weightlifter! I have never once worked on technique for lifting. I was lost for a while not sure what i was doing while i waited for surgery, and got pretty good at the exercises i enjoy doing while i took time off my sport. If i decide to do lifting, i will get the technique in a month, i've taught others, i can do it myself if i want.
If i decide i don't enjoy lifting and want to do bobled or something else, i will carry on with the way i've done things over the years. Just working on raw power while i work on the technical aspects of my chosen sport. As long as cleans don't hurt me, there's no problem. I never really asked for advice, although i did get some good pointers. I just wanted to post a video, that's all.

That's fair enough. Don't call people haters when they call it as it is; a heavy weight cleaned with poor technique.

I hope you do decide to work on your technique. I'd be interested to see what you could do.
ystradboy79Icon...22-12-2013 @ 13:36 
Chris 'The Magician' Melling
Member 1443, 978 posts
SQ 270, BP 180, DL 320
770.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
Ive got nothing to say regarding form as its not really my place but from a pure strength point of view that power clean was awesome , exploded of the floor fairplay mate Happy
BunkIcon...22-12-2013 @ 13:58 
Member 4873, 29 posts
HUGE_GUY said:I thought you retired Shane. Never got that 100m video!

Anyway, another lift from today so i can get some hate thrown at me.

That drive up from the bottom is unreal.

Mind if I ask how old you are and what's your training history like?
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...22-12-2013 @ 14:24 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22063 posts
It wasn't that bad! I've done far uglier ones with a lot less weight! Very impressive weight Happy
HUGE_GUYIcon...22-12-2013 @ 14:24 
Member 2745, 803 posts
Bunk said:
That drive up from the bottom is unreal.
Mind if I ask how old you are and what's your training history like?

25yo. As brief as i can be.

Did triple jump from age 14-17 and jumped 14.17m. Then i had a big ankle injury because i wasn't training right for that sport at all.

Close to age 19 i started lifting when i was in too much pain to jump. Power clean 90, front squat 140 (bounced), and deadlift 190 to begin @71kg. Went to Karl Grant shortly after and had a few sessions with him and went to about 125kg power clean and 260 DL quite quickly.

Overtrained and learnt alot over the next year or so. Age 21 i decided to jump again but try long jump instead. It only lasted 15 months and i went from 6.93m to 7.60m in that time.

At this point my power clean was 140, dl 280, back squat paused 175, front paused 160?, push press 110 @74kg. Then i had ankle surgery in novemeber 2010

Didn't do much but bodybuilding for 6 months. Then started training to jump again because i had got some funding at this point. Trained from Apr-june and was jumping 7.90 in training, power cleaned 160@80kg, full squat bounced 220x3. Then i tore my hamstring, my achilles calcified massively with the increase load of training in a short time and to make it worse i still tried to compete. I did 3 comps, 7.33m, then 2m, then 5m. I could barely jog.

2012 i decided to just lift for fun, except it wasn't fun when you have a spur the size of a tooth at your achilles insertion. Got power clean to 177.5, push press 140, i only did 3 weeks of squats paused but did 200 front. Did some nice jerks, some very bad power snatches, then had surgery in September 2012. Just recovering now.

That wasn't very brief......
CJRIcon...22-12-2013 @ 14:34 
Member 4145, 1331 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 115, DL 220
507.5 kgs @ 100.4kgs UnEq
Do all jumpers have as much strength and power as you? I just ask as there was that thing going round a while back about how Jonathan Edwards allegedly used to squat 250 or something (can't remember exact number).
HUGE_GUYIcon...22-12-2013 @ 15:07 
Member 2745, 803 posts
CJR said:Do all jumpers have as much strength and power as you? I just ask as there was that thing going round a while back about how Jonathan Edwards allegedly used to squat 250 or something (can't remember exact number).

Nope, nowhere near. I was hated by most athletes when they heard my numbers. Jealous people. All i got was negative bulls**t like 'steroids' or 'what's the point in being that strong if you can't use it'. Others told me to just quit athletics and do weightlifting, even though i was doing well in the sport. There are nice athletes, but as a whole, what a bunch of c**ts!

He could maybe quarter squat that, most jumpers do quarter or eigth squats and claim it's a real squat. He claimed a 150 power clean, but no one has seen more than 140 from him. Before his WR jump, he did about 130 at his peak. He lifted a little more later on. His standing long jump was about 3.10, if he could squat 250 for real, it would be much higher than this. I did 3.51m. He did shot throws backwards and did 15.45m, i did 18.50m

A lot of sprint/jump athletes power clean between 120-140, but can't deep squat much more, and can't lift overhead. The sport is much more about talent than power tests numbers. e.g Body shape, technique, tendon thickness/length, eccentric strength, and of course natural speed which can only be trained so much.
HUGE_GUYIcon...22-12-2013 @ 15:26 
Member 2745, 803 posts
Post Edited: 22.12.2013 @ 15:31 PM by HUGE_GUY
Thought i would add. Harry AA is probably the strongest out of all the current sprinters/jumpers.

Ben Johnson. No one seems to know what this 600lbx5 squat really is. But i suspect it's a box squat with wraps, and not pausing on the box. There is a video on youtube of him later on in life doing it this way. If that's the case, then even he isn't hugely strong.

Few months after surgery i did 595x5 paused box squats, with just sleeves. I definitely wasn't 200 front squat strong at that time.

Some numbers you hear are unreal, but there is never evidence. Some Woman discus thrower benching 210 for example. East Germany or USSR.
FazcIcon...22-12-2013 @ 16:25 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
HUGE_GUY said:I was hated by most athletes when they heard my numbers. Jealous people. All i got was negative bulls**t like 'steroids' or 'what's the point in being that strong if you can't use it'.

Maybe if you showed them your Power Clean form they might have backed off a bit?!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions