REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 320 guests

Back at it. 150 power clean

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

HUGE_GUYIconBack at it. 150 power clean21-12-2013 @ 08:14 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
Post Edited: 21.12.2013 @ 08:15 AM by HUGE_GUY
After messing about with box squats and light muscle snatches, i tried my first power clean session in 12 months.

I'd say my technique is even better than before, considering i did no work at all on it.

slimsimIcon...21-12-2013 @ 08:36 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Massively powerful, however, I'd disagree in that your technique is no better than before. In fact your rack position is awful and just asking for an injury in my opinion.

That said, I wish I was as strong as you.
AndyCoupeIcon...21-12-2013 @ 08:43 
His levers get the bar up.
Member 2919, 8635 posts
SQ 195, BP 127.5, DL 225
547.5 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
slimsim said:Massively powerful, however, I'd disagree in that your technique is no better than before. In fact your rack position is awful and just asking for an injury in my opinion.

That said, I wish I was as strong as you.

Agreed.

It all looks rushed and there's no need to split so wide as you get the bar really high anyway.

The rack position looked ready for snappage of the wrist!
GingyIcon...21-12-2013 @ 08:44 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
I agree with Simon.

Every time you resurface on this forum, after whatever injury you've had, it shocks me at how impatient you are! If you took a leaf out of Tom Martin's book and just got a plan in place to progress gradually (with good form) you could be looking at some crazily good lifts in a few years.

As it is I suspect you'll just keep sticking 10kg on every thing for a bit and see what falls off first.

Only my opinion and all that.

Good luck either way Happy
HUGE_GUYIcon...21-12-2013 @ 08:45 
Member 2745, 803 posts
slimsim said:Massively powerful, however, I'd disagree in that your technique is no better than before. In fact your rack position is awful and just asking for an injury in my opinion.

Yep, my thumb really hurts now. BUT! I've been watching a lot of videos lately, especially Clarence. I think if i wasn't holding back i could jump underneath in a nice position. I've only just got the all clear on my achilles so i'm worried about extending fully, or jumping underneath.

That being said, my Dr is mates with Keith Morgan and gave me his number.
AndyCoupeIcon...21-12-2013 @ 08:47 
His levers get the bar up.
Member 2919, 8635 posts
SQ 195, BP 127.5, DL 225
547.5 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:
Yep, my thumb really hurts now. BUT! I've been watching a lot of videos lately, especially Clarence. I think if i wasn't holding back i could jump underneath in a nice position. I've only just got the all clear on my achilles so i'm worried about extending fully, or jumping underneath.
That being said, my Dr is mates with Keith Morgan and gave me his number.

Why did you go for what looks like a max attempt after just getting the all clear on your achilles?
FazcIcon...21-12-2013 @ 08:48 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
I've missed your insanely awkward looking cleans!
HUGE_GUYIcon...21-12-2013 @ 08:49 
Member 2745, 803 posts
Jesus! Yeah i get the point. I wrapped up very well, i held back any extension and did not go to max. I lifted calmly to make sure i didn't go too heavy. Just a little tester before i begin for real. I won't go above 100kg for a while, but i am front squatting heavy again.

I know the tech is s**t, but bare in mind i haven't even cleaned a bar in 12 months. I'll upload again in a couple of months. I'll call Keith Morgan so i can get coaching. Crystal palace, what a pain to get to.
HUGE_GUYIcon...21-12-2013 @ 08:51 
Member 2745, 803 posts
AndyCoupe said:
Why did you go for what looks like a max attempt after just getting the all clear on your achilles?

Looks are deceiving. It's not max, every weight was similar to this because i held back on every attempt to ensure i didn't hurt myself.
GingyIcon...21-12-2013 @ 09:00 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:
Looks are deceiving. It's not max, every weight was similar to this because i held back on every attempt to ensure i didn't hurt myself.

If every weight looked like this then you desperately need to reevaluate your form. Seek advice from a good coach and then actually take it.
George_WinstonIcon...21-12-2013 @ 09:05 
The Crossfit KingPin
Member 941, 1810 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 285
645.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Dont listen to em huge guy, keep doing what youre doing! Its obviously working its got you this far! f**k em. You could probably win a medal at rio at this rate. So naturally gifted.
HUGE_GUYIcon...21-12-2013 @ 09:08 
Member 2745, 803 posts
Gingy said:
If every weight looked like this then you desperately need to reevaluate your form. Seek advice from a good coach and then actually take it.

I know. It's an athlete thing. I see countless athletes lifting even worse. One 75kg jumper i know recently power cleaned 130 and caught it nipple height with straps! I don't know how his wrists survived.

I train a female long jumper who i went through every portion of the lift correctly, increasing the weights over a 3 month period. As soon as you ask her (and other athletes) to go heavy, they just want to rip it as high as possible and forget form. I think its because there are so many power tests for athletes that concentrate on full extension over everything else. I don't really know what im saying here....
HUGE_GUYIcon...21-12-2013 @ 09:11 
Member 2745, 803 posts
George_Winston said:Dont listen to em huge guy, keep doing what youre doing! Its obviously working its got you this far! f**k em. You could probably win a medal at rio at this rate. So naturally gifted.

You were always a hater George.

I will never win any meaningful medals, i'm realistic.
GingyIcon...21-12-2013 @ 09:15 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Impatience and trying to yank at the bar isn't reserved for just athletes.

It's common in everyone who doesn't trust their own ability to hit the right positions through the pull and get themselves in a confident place to receive the bar.

Most peoples form changes a bit when they go heavy (mine does for sure) but there are a few things that you really can't get away with over time. Those wrists are going to break if you keep doing PCs like that. Well before you do the things you've probably got the potential to do.

You need to take the ego out of it and just treat yourself like a beginner. Spend a long time getting the form inch perfect (probably under a good coach) with light weights and build your strength at the same time with relatively straight forward strength movements like squats, front squats, deadlifts and presses.

You'll be stronger than every with a form you actually trust and then should start inching the weights up on the classic lifts.

God I'm boring myself now. I'll shut up because I'm sure someone has spelt all this out for you before!
HUGE_GUYIcon...21-12-2013 @ 09:25 
Member 2745, 803 posts
Thanks Gingy. Maybe someone told me 2 years ago but it's easy to forget. Plus, anyone who hasn't even been able to even jog for 2 years will know how good it feels to be free again, i couldn't help myself. I wasn't even going to do power cleans after another 2 months, but i was silly and gave in to the pressure. My GF moaned at me too.

I am smarter with squats. From Box squats to very light full fronts with pause over 2 months. I also tested out whatever was comfortable there. I did a comfy 185 with a pause and very solid form. It might sound rushed, but eccentric squats are keeping me healthy.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions