REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 363 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitPuppy Training!

Puppy Training!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

DavidIconPuppy Training!30-05-2007 @ 18:10 
I ♥ Dr. Gillian McKeith
Member 17, 742 posts
SQ 0, BP 180, DL 0
180.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
We're getting a puppy in a couple of weeks. Its a jack russel, 11 weeks old. We're just bringing her round my house for a couple of hours everyday until then so she gets used to us and while we sort a few things out.

Now my first question is how do you teach her to walk on a lead? She doesnt mind it being on but if i try and walk with her she refuses and sits down if shes not going where she wants to....

I'll post some pics up when i get some Happy
RobIcon...30-05-2007 @ 20:33 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Cool! Sounds like an awesome dog!

Opposite to mine if it refuses to walk! We have had to resort to buying a harness for our beast to stop it choking itself, hopefully it will learn to walk in a more chilled out fashion. I'll get some pics of him up soon he has grown a lot, 6 months old now!
HaydenIcon...30-05-2007 @ 20:37 
memories , like the corners of my mind ....
Member 49, 2298 posts
SQ 200, BP 132.5, DL 220
552.5 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
OO some dog lovers, mine is spoilt rotten and wont eat any dry foods unless they have butter or jam on it... Jack russel's are awesome litle dogs, just be persistant and everything should be ok.
Martin1956Icon...30-05-2007 @ 23:03 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7743 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Mine was off the lead by nine weeks (with my other dogs). My problem was at the end of the walk she ran off when she saw the lead. Sorted by treats in pocket! How do I download pictures?
RobIcon...30-05-2007 @ 23:05 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
I haven't coded an image upload script yet Martin I will get round to it soon!

My dog is also difficult to get back on the lead after being let off. He also loves nicking things, particularly shoes and smelly underwear.
Martin1956Icon...31-05-2007 @ 10:13 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7743 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Originally posted by Rob...
I haven't coded an image upload script yet Martin I will get round to it soon!

My dog is also difficult to get back on the lead after being let off. He also loves nicking things, particularly shoes and smelly underwear.

Lol. He'd love my bedroom. Most dogs do.Wink
ThingIcon...31-05-2007 @ 10:21 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
i have a jack russell, all we need is a tennis ball foooooood (tried whey protein with him he liked it but he farted like he was posesed by the devil) and he's fine on the lead he was the same didn't want to go anywhere when we put it on, so just keep doing it and she'll get use to it
littlegirlbunnyIcon...31-05-2007 @ 14:13 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Originally posted by David...
Now my first question is how do you teach her to walk on a lead? She doesnt mind it being on but if i try and walk with her she refuses and sits down if shes not going where she wants to....

I'll post some pics up when i get some Happy

Ooh dog thread Grin

Try roping someone in to help you train - Get the other person to hold sausages or some other exceptionally tasty treat a bit away from you. Make sure the dog knows there is tasty treats to be had, and let her walk over and take the treat (obviously with the lead attached and you holding the other end!). Gradually increase the distance. I'll look through the training books later and see what else they come up with. Happy

I have two dogs - a alsatian-border collie cross and a border collie-corgi cross. Both came with a whole boatload of problems from the Dog's Trust and it has been two and half hard years of training, patience and (most of the time) desperation to get them sorted.

Sparkily Dog has some problems with walking on a lead. He is a bit of a puller, and I have tried various methods to sort it. But the only sure way to make sure walks are pleasant is to put him in a head halter. It means that the lead is attached under his chin, so if he pulls, he pulls his head down and to the side so he can't see where he is going. Works a treat! Much less barbaric than choke-chains. Also, he will not poo on the lead, even now after two and a half years Roll-Eyes (it did take 4 months to housetrain him though, so can't complain, at least that is sorted) So he has to be let off, at which point he pelts it as far away as possible before he does his business. This can be a real problem in itself because he suffers from fear aggression (hence he is always muzzled off lead) so I like to keep him close by so that there is more chance of sucessful recall. He had been seriously mistreated as a puppy - probably over housetraining at one point. It's amazing the amount of lasting damage that can be done by abusive idiots.

Sophie just comes with me whereever she is allowed so I only put her on a lead if we are by traffic as she has a habit of wandering in front of cars (cute dog, no brains). If she is on the lead, she paces from one side of me to the other - just like sheepdogs do when they are rounding up the herd. Drives me up the wall!

Here's a photo - they are a bit distracted and scared by all the people around them!

[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/littlegirlbunny/dontworr...
RickIcon...31-05-2007 @ 21:58 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Originally posted by Thing...
tried whey protein with him he liked it but he farted like he was posesed by the devil

That made me laugh loud enough to scare the cat.

One of the best things about whey is it makes me fart almost constantly, but they don't smell. Outstanding.
Martin1956Icon...01-06-2007 @ 11:01 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7743 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Originally posted by Rick...
tried whey protein with him he liked it but he farted like he was posesed by the devil

One of the best things about whey is it makes me fart almost constantly, but they don't smell. Outstanding.

Perhaps you need to get your sinuses checked!
IainKendrickIcon...01-06-2007 @ 11:18 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I thought this thread would involve suggestions for weighted harness's or small paw shapped dumbbells!

Me and the misses would love a dog, but living in a flat and with a busy schedule we just couldn't give enough time to look after a puppy properly. Settled for a Hamster at the moment Tongue

Good luck with the dog training
ThingIcon...01-06-2007 @ 11:35 
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Rick...

i'm telling you that dog of mine could stip paint at a hurdred yard he i gave him whey. sorry for hyjacking this thread but if your getting a dog don't give him whey. and just persivere with the lead
DavidIcon...01-06-2007 @ 13:11 
I ♥ Dr. Gillian McKeith
Member 17, 742 posts
SQ 0, BP 180, DL 0
180.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Thanks for the all the advice i appreciate it!

I took her for a walk across some fields last night and she was great! She was a bit stop start but she soon got into it and she really enjoyed it! Just praising her as she walked with me seemed to do the trick, so i'll be doing the same again tonight!

Shes a great pup i ve got some pictures i'll stick up when i get a chance.

Now just got to get her toilet trained Grin i've got some of those puppy training pads for inside and i keep taking her in the garden and if she 'goes' i give her a little treat.
ThingIcon...01-06-2007 @ 13:28 
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
best way that i have heard off is to ruber there nose in what ever it is number 1 or number 2, and they dont like it and also asociate meal times, moring and nite with walks and she'll get the picture
littlegirlbunnyIcon...01-06-2007 @ 13:45 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
best way that i have heard off is to ruber there nose in what ever it is number 1 or number 2, and they dont like it and also asociate meal times, moring and nite with walks and she'll get the picture

I hate to be confrontational, and i'm not claiming to be an expert.....but rubbing their nose in it is absolutely not the best way to deal with housetraining. It is cruel and abusive and is likely to lead to problems in many cases. David is doing the right thing - taking her outside and giving her a treat. It's one of those urban myths which have been rapidly dispelled by all the best dog trainers, and yet it persists because people think that it would work if they were a puppy. Don't forget, a dog is not human in the sense that it cannot associate laterally in the same way.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitPuppy Training!
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions