REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 372 guests

Wanting advice from anyone who has had extended time off from lifting..

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

CAJIcon...09-09-2016 @ 09:59 
I recommend the track - Slut Machine
Member 6043, 955 posts
SQ 350, BP 195, DL 350
895.0 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
It's not life as such although it is a contributing factor, it is mostly health implications.

I feel absolutely terrible, strong but so unhealthy. It's hard to describe exactly. My weight has fluctuated for a long time as I have peaked for a competition or mock meet and then dropped down again. I think the issue is that I have been around 145 for quite a while now and my body simply doesn't like it, I can feel the health implications of this weight starting to catch up with me. So much so that I have already decided I cannot hack another 8 weeks and even more weight gain to compete in the final. I feel all the negative effects I am feeling have started to vastly outweigh the enjoyment of it and I'm starting to question why I'm doing it at all.

So as of yesterday I'm dieting down, my workouts will become a lot more 'grass roots' getting back to basics and there will also be some cardio thrown in.

As for why future power lifting I can't say for definite exactly what when or why because I expect my goals and desires to evolve over the coming months. I also want to become a lot less autistic about the whole thing and hopefully improve my life outside of the gym. For a long while now it has dictated my life and whilst I have had much enjoyment from it, it is not a sustainable lifestyle to lead right now.

Despite knowing logically that life has a lot more to offer than just obsessing over how many metal discs you can lift on a bar I would be lying if I said it wasn't ruining me mentally right now.
JackRevansIcon...09-09-2016 @ 10:19 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Its like breaking up with a girl to whom you are emotionally attached but is ruining your life.

Were all gunna make it
little_aIcon...09-09-2016 @ 10:22 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
How did you fill the void.
Wasn't one. Whenever I've stopped training I wasn't enjoying it anyway. Besides, once you take out the travelling, chatting, showering/ changing it's surprising how little actual 'lifting time' takes up.
How did it effect you mentally (losing size/strength)
Never been an issue for me. My biggest weight gain was whilst not training (3 1/2 stone in 3 months)
Are you glad you took time off or do you regret doing so.
No regrets, See first reply
Could you have done anything different?
Yes, loads, but I didn't because I didn't want to.
For those who came back to lifting after a large amount of time off how long did it take to get back into it.
Back into it - straight away. I wanted to lift in the same way that I wanted not to. When your heads right the weight is always there ready to be lifted. Longest break was about 9 years. Shortest was a few weeks. In fairness I've had more come backs than Frank Sinatra and doing so is straight forward linear progressing, just from a bit further back. IMO too many people try to rush this without doing ground work. Start with an empty bar and increase by 10k/ week. Drop volume as intensity increases. Slow down when you get back up top weights. Too few people disregard a 6 month+ build up for my liking.

Enjoy your rest mate. Embrace it as your decision (which is important. You're in control) and come back when your ready. Good luck fella.
CAJIcon...09-09-2016 @ 10:28 
I recommend the track - Slut Machine
Member 6043, 955 posts
SQ 350, BP 195, DL 350
895.0 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Sorry to hear that you're feeling like that. You seemed really positive recently when you were training alongside Benni and co.

I was mate, seriously f**king happy but what I did not realise is just how unsustainable that level was/is without making significant sacrifice/risk.

But then I look at the likes of Benni and he's doing exactly what I need to right now, dieting, cardio, not as strong but also doesn't look like he's about to die anymore. I should learn from him.

I've had several conversations with people in the game one of whom was sugdens own powerlifting defector and he speaks a lot of sense. Whilst the health implications are physical the real battle lies within the ones head.

It must be ace having one of those sports psychology people to sort your shot head out like the GB cycling team
little_aIcon...09-09-2016 @ 10:29 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Also, the times comes for some if not all for us to move on. I think that this should be done as a positive step without any feelings of failure. We individually take this stuff as far as we can and it gets stale when we hang on for too long (that we all do). Life after lifting is great and you can always incorporate a bit of iron into your new life style.
Robbo91Icon...09-09-2016 @ 10:55 
Doesn't like tall people very much.
Member 5708, 391 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 275
730.0 kgs @ 137.5kgs UnEq
This is very similar to how I felt a few months ago. December of last year I was 148-150kg body weight. I'm tall but it was still far to heavy but my pressing became very good with it.
But I just felt old, I'm 24 and my knees and hips would ache after walking around town. My wife and I looked at a trip to Norway and this hike to a place called Trolltunga looked fantastic but I realised I couldn't do it because my back wouldn't take it.

Losing strength was difficult, but realising that there are lads on here who are under 100kg and lifting more than me at 150 made me think that I could do it at a lighter weight.

I'm 128-130 now and feel so much better. I can run again, my back doesn't hurt and I look a lot better for it. My strength suffered but then started to come back, but the more weight I lost the less I started to care about absolute numbers. I benched 195 at 150kg, I may never bench the 200 I wanted but I'll bench 180 again and look good doing it hopefully.

Losing the size is difficult to get your head around, after lifting for a long time you start to define yourself by what you lift. I've been 'Big Rob' to most people around town for a long time and getting smaller was tough, but to the bloke in the street I probably look stronger nowadays at a lighter weight.

I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do. I've become happier in the long run after a tough time adjusting and I would never go back to that sort of weight again.
matthewvcIcon...09-09-2016 @ 11:45 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3230 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
CAJ said:It's not life as such although it is a contributing factor, it is mostly health implications.

I feel absolutely terrible, strong but so unhealthy. It's hard to describe exactly. My weight has fluctuated for a long time as I have peaked for a competition or mock meet and then dropped down again. I think the issue is that I have been around 145 for quite a while now and my body simply doesn't like it, I can feel the health implications of this weight starting to catch up with me. So much so that I have already decided I cannot hack another 8 weeks and even more weight gain to compete in the final. I feel all the negative effects I am feeling have started to vastly outweigh the enjoyment of it and I'm starting to question why I'm doing it at all.

So as of yesterday I'm dieting down, my workouts will become a lot more 'grass roots' getting back to basics and there will also be some cardio thrown in.

As for why future power lifting I can't say for definite exactly what when or why because I expect my goals and desires to evolve over the coming months. I also want to become a lot less autistic about the whole thing and hopefully improve my life outside of the gym. For a long while now it has dictated my life and whilst I have had much enjoyment from it, it is not a sustainable lifestyle to lead right now.

Despite knowing logically that life has a lot more to offer than just obsessing over how many metal discs you can lift on a bar I would be lying if I said it wasn't ruining me mentally right now.

I think coming down in weight will help improve your outlook. I felt like s**t at a peak of just 113kg, let alone 145kg. cardio will make you feel far healthier too.
matthewvcIcon...09-09-2016 @ 11:59 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3230 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.09.2016 @ 12:00 PM by matthewvc
Robbo91 said:This is very similar to how I felt a few months ago. December of last year I was 148-150kg body weight. I'm tall but it was still far to heavy but my pressing became very good with it.
But I just felt old, I'm 24 and my knees and hips would ache after walking around town. My wife and I looked at a trip to Norway and this hike to a place called Trolltunga looked fantastic but I realised I couldn't do it because my back wouldn't take it.

Losing strength was difficult, but realising that there are lads on here who are under 100kg and lifting more than me at 150 made me think that I could do it at a lighter weight.

I'm 128-130 now and feel so much better. I can run again, my back doesn't hurt and I look a lot better for it. My strength suffered but then started to come back, but the more weight I lost the less I started to care about absolute numbers. I benched 195 at 150kg, I may never bench the 200 I wanted but I'll bench 180 again and look good doing it hopefully.

Losing the size is difficult to get your head around, after lifting for a long time you start to define yourself by what you lift. I've been 'Big Rob' to most people around town for a long time and getting smaller was tough, but to the bloke in the street I probably look stronger nowadays at a lighter weight.

I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do. I've become happier in the long run after a tough time adjusting and I would never go back to that sort of weight again.

there's no reason why most people (outside of the dan green's of the world who've maxed out every amount of muscle mass they can carry at 100kg) can't achieve a certain strength at a far leaner bf% and lighter bw. we get addicted to the gains from just piling weight on and ignore how much flab is piled on. i put inches on my waist in a year going from about 98kg to 113kg. some was muscle and some water, but most was just flab from gorging.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...09-09-2016 @ 12:07 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2997 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
You're still my boy though mate.
Robbo91Icon...09-09-2016 @ 12:28 
Doesn't like tall people very much.
Member 5708, 391 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 275
730.0 kgs @ 137.5kgs UnEq
matthewvc said:
there's no reason why most people (outside of the dan green's of the world who've maxed out every amount of muscle mass they can carry at 100kg) can't achieve a certain strength at a far leaner bf% and lighter bw. we get addicted to the gains from just piling weight on and ignore how much flab is piled on. i put inches on my waist in a year going from about 98kg to 113kg. some was muscle and some water, but most was just flab from gorging.

You're exactly right mate.
scruffmcbuffIcon...09-09-2016 @ 13:41 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
this is f**king with MY head now!?!

Maybe i should lean up.?

i need a cake.
StevenFattyIcon...09-09-2016 @ 13:47 
My name is Steven , I am a fatty.
Member 6048, 393 posts
Post Edited: 09.09.2016 @ 13:49 PM by StevenFatty
I took about 5 years of. I was less fit, and more unhappy for it. I don't have the time in my life to train like I used to, so now I am training twice a week. At that frequency, its not great for doing comps etc. But if size and strength have become part of your self image..twice a week is enough to retain some strength, and definitely size...so that you don't feel completly bad about yourself..it can help maintain your self esteem, whilst freeing up time for other areas of your life.

You need to make life choices that are designed to make you happier. So what ever route you choose, you should feel better for it, not worse. Otherwise...whats the point?

Good luck mate
LouweazelIcon...13-09-2016 @ 16:59 
Member 4091, 486 posts
SQ 142.5, BP 90.5, DL 152.5
385.5 kgs @ 56.7kgs UnEq
I had to stop because the stress of lifting and work was screwing me over. I had zero confidence in my lifting ability and I was gaining a ton of weight fast because I was eating to keep up with training while being shattered all the time.

CAJ: How did you fill the void.

I just went back to "5 x 5 kicking the s**t out of people"

CAJ: How did it effect you mentally (losing size/strength)

I got back into my weight class for all sports and I was bigger and leaner than when I originally lifted at 57kg. I was back to being healthier too and could work faster and harder.

I realised work was the issue and not the lifting, I would be so chilled out when I was training in Portugal then start getting anxious when I was back at work again.

CAJ: Are you glad you took time off or do you regret doing so.

Yeah, it gave me time to work on some technical stuff and get my dietary habits sorted again.

CAJ: Could you have done anything different?

Not got fat in the first place and kept my old job.

CAJ: For those who came back to lifting after a large amount of time off how long did it take to get back into it.

I got called up for an international which gave me a goal to work towards in terms of getting my maxes back up and getting my weight steady in the 56 - 58kg range.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions