Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitNovice?

Novice?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

what is it that classes someone as a novice?

To me its some one new to strongman.

For myself I did a first timers last year and this year I'm doing novice comps, next year just normal u105 and if I cant cut it I'll keep trying or pack it in, but I wouldn't go back to novice. is this right? should I stay in novice till I win something?

Has novice become another word for weak?

This is not aimed at anyone, I'm just after some clarification
MrSmall
Its all about the weights lifted.
If you can deadlift 300kg and have never done a car deadlift, so f**king what.
If you can put 140kg strict overhead and you enter a comp with 90kg log for reps, you're a glory hunter or without any self belief.
If you have "never done a strongman comp" but have been lifting weights for a while, and are a comparatively strong guy, why would you not enter something to push your abilities?
i think everyone should allow themselves to have their first comp be a first timers or novice comp and if they don't do very well then maybe 1 or 2 more novice's.

but i can see what smalls is saying, the likes of Tom Martin has never done strongman so could do a novice u90kg comp and probably take the piss a bit (or a lot)
TravisFandango
MrSmall said:Its all about the weights lifted.
If you can put 140kg strict overhead and you enter a comp with 90kg log for reps, you're a glory hunter or without any self belief.
If you have "never done a strongman comp" but have been lifting weights for a while, and are a comparatively strong guy, why would you not enter something to push your abilities?

This probably sums up my reasons for loving you. Happy
Splendid attitude!
richiebevan said:what is it that classes someone as a novice?

To me its some one new to strongman.

For myself I did a first timers last year and this year I'm doing novice comps, next year just normal u105 and if I cant cut it I'll keep trying or pack it in, but I wouldn't go back to novice. is this right? should I stay in novice till I win something?

Has novice become another word for weak?

This is not aimed at anyone, I'm just after some clarification

im same as you although did first comp 4-5 weeks ago and next one on sunday
First timers - 180kg DL, 90kg overhead
Novice - 220kg DL, 100kg overhead
Intermediate - 250kg DL, 120kg overhead
Open - 300kg DL, 140kg overhead

That's what I think the numbers are in my head. If you get top 3 in novice you should be banned from doing any more.

It's ok to get top 3 in first timers cause its what it says it is first timers.

These are the numbers I am aiming for any way.
MrSmall said:Its all about the weights lifted.

x2

80kg max log

200KG deadlift

160KG squat for example your a novice, whether being doing strongman 5 months or 5 years
This has been debated to death several times.

GATES said:
First timers - 180kg DL, 90kg overhead

I think you're spot on there.
GATES said:First timers - 180kg DL, 90kg overhead

That's what I think the numbers are in my head. If you get top 3 in novice you should be banned from doing any more.

It's ok to get top 3 in first timers cause its what it says it is first timers.

These are the numbers I am aiming for any way.

I'm not sure you can put numbers like that on it mate. I can deadlift 250kg and put 120kg over my head but I am s**t at the majority of things (stones, yoke, farmers etc). I'm sure there are a lot of people on this board that may be considered pretty decent strong men with numbers in the deadlift and OH similar to mine (funnily enough, Boar comes to mind and he would be head and shoulders better than me in a strongman comp).
Paul_D said:
I'm not sure you can put numbers like that on it mate. I can deadlift 250kg and put 120kg over my head but I am s**t at the majority of things (stones, yoke, farmers etc). I'm sure there are a lot of people on this board that may be considered pretty decent strong men with numbers in the deadlift and OH similar to mine (funnily enough, Boar comes to mind and he would be head and shoulders better than me in a strongman comp).

Yeah, there's truth in this.

It's possible for a guy who's nothing special in the static strength department to be a quality strongman. Mick Gosling springs to mind.
Bear
Ive spoke with Gates a lot about this.

I do think his numbers are spot on, but as has been pointed out, being good at two may make you rubbish at other events.

The only way I could see it working is taking the main event types and set a limit regarding 1 rep maxes.

Dead
Squat
Max Log
Farmers
Yoke
Stones

Then if somebody for instance exceeds the guidelines for 3 of these, they shouldnt enter that standard of comp.
MrSmall
GATES said:First timers - 180kg DL, 90kg overhead

Looks about right.

Paul_D said:

Then get better at the events, since you have the tools to. If you can deadlift 250 not horribly and put 120kg overhead not horribly then you are just not practised enough at the events if they are greatly out of sync i.e you can't do 120 farmers, or 140 stone etc.
MrSmall said:
Then get better at the events, since you have the tools to. If you can deadlift 250 not horribly and put 120kg overhead not horribly then you are just not practised enough at the events if they are greatly out of sync i.e you can't do 120 farmers, or 140 stone etc.

hmm, lacking experience in those events, perhaps making him a novice strongman?
But how many intermediate comps are there,i think you should be classed as a novice until youve reached top 5 in a novice comp then move on
MrSmall
martinb said:
hmm, lacking experience in those events, perhaps making him a novice strongman?

But after 2-3 event sessions you are magically not a novice? Happy

Novice means something more long term than something "fixable" in 2-3 weeks of specific training.

Base strength will be what dictates that.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitNovice?
Return to top View Desktop Site