REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 243 guests

Ever wish you were average strength?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

HUGE_GUYIcon...03-10-2011 @ 20:21 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
I wish i was 200kg+ of solid muscle. I wish i had the strength of a titan, and i'd let everyone know about it.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...03-10-2011 @ 23:02 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22056 posts
HUGE_GUY said:
I wish i was 200kg+ of solid muscle. I wish i had the strength of a titan, and i'd let everyone know about it.

You're doing pretty well!

I'm AMAZED by your 162.5 power clean at 78 bodyweight!!

Any chance of a vid next time?
WiegieboardIcon...03-10-2011 @ 23:35 
as crimson as my last victims underclothing.....
Member 899, 11330 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 04.10.2011 @ 00:12 AM by Wiegieboard
I've worked in and around gyms for over a decade now.
Some of these gyms literally had thousands of members and it was extremely rare to see a bench of over 130kg on a man of ANY size.
I'd say that the 1% figure mentioned earlier is accurate and I'd say there are more folk out there in those gyms with a big benchpress than with a big squat, or a 500LB deadlift. People in the strength community often forget what average joes are capable of. Some people are freaks yea, but most people aren't going by the thousands (o.k. Maybe a good few hundred lol) of physical testing sessions I've done over the years.
HarryIcon...04-10-2011 @ 02:19 
I have sex with women
Member 2122, 310 posts
SQ 180, BP 135, DL 220
535.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
VanillaGorilla said:My point being that I would expect RIDICULOUS levels of obvious size and strength to be classed as 'the strong one'

No offence but take a few observations.

Can you throw up a 200KG snatch? Weightlifters can but do the lighter classed guys look HYUUUGE? Not really, but they have great muscular definition, power and strength.

Judo is another realm of power/strength to weight ratio. A lot of female Judo particients can handle themselves with men.

Bruce Lee was incredibly strong. Have you ever taken a kick from a guy who has done kickboxing, Thai kickboxing for more than a decade? Lets just say you wont be moving around much, probably not breathing right either.

I dont see these guys as hulking behemoths so why is it that you think 'big = strong' and that anyone who is a sub 100KG lifter shouldn't be deemed as a safe pair of hands?

its quite insulting, sure you're stacked but the way I see it, you're more than likely to be glassed in a pub, bar or club than be seen as "ooh aint he strong!"

Big guys get a lot of s**t, huge guys get a lot of violence coming their way.
minotaurJoeIcon...04-10-2011 @ 02:29 
I've got a brand new combine harvester
Member 688, 192 posts
SQ 230, BP 165, DL 300
695.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Yeah I'm inclined to agree a little with the previous comment. I hate to be offensive and I hope I'm not being - but the first comment is showing the same levels of arrogance that fifty cent does. U r strong wayne there is no doubt in that but for starters, you should never be satisfied with ur strength unless there is no-one in the world left to beat. Secondly it is not all about strength and size that protects you and your own - intellect alone can kill many people!! James bond can't deadlift 261kg but he saved the world!!!!
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...04-10-2011 @ 10:05 
Member 400, 22056 posts
minotaurJoe said:
it is not all about strength and size that protects you and your own

Oh I know that.
LukeCIcon...04-10-2011 @ 10:20 
The one in the guns and roses teeshirt.
Member 171, 2462 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 140, DL 245
657.5 kgs @ 80.2kgs Eq
Tom_Martin said:it's f**king s**t having a world record so, i'm with wayne

You should get yourself a token British record like I have, then you could still look at yourself in the mirror. Happy
oxIcon...04-10-2011 @ 11:16 
Angry parasite and a rapist hoping to move abroad
Member 2776, 152 posts
IainT said:

Right now, I top the wilks for back squat, front squat, deadlift and squat/bench/dead total. There are only two of us with a wilks score over 100 for the squat.

Confused Confused
VanillaGorillaIcon...04-10-2011 @ 11:27 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Post Edited: 04.10.2011 @ 11:29 AM by VanillaGorilla
Harry said:
Can you throw up a 200KG snatch? Weightlifters can but do the lighter classed guys look HYUUUGE? Not really, but they have great muscular definition, power and strength.
Judo is another realm of power/strength to weight ratio. A lot of female Judo particients can handle themselves with men.
Bruce Lee was incredibly strong. Have you ever taken a kick from a guy who has done kickboxing, Thai kickboxing for more than a decade? Lets just say you wont be moving around much, probably not breathing right either.
I dont see these guys as hulking behemoths so why is it that you think 'big = strong' and that anyone who is a sub 100KG lifter shouldn't be deemed as a safe pair of hands?
its quite insulting, sure you're stacked but the way I see it, you're more than likely to be glassed in a pub, bar or club than be seen as "ooh aint he strong!"

f**k me there are some thick c**ts on here. If you read my postS properly (you can read right?) you'd see I'm talking about 'normal' peoples perceptions of strength, not my own. As a professional strength coach I reckon maybe I have an inkling about what you just said. But as I wasn't talking about my perceptions, that's as irrelevant as your post.
brownbearIcon...04-10-2011 @ 11:32 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
VanillaGorilla said:
f**k me there are some thick c**ts on here. If you read my postS properly (you can read right?) you'd see I'm talking about 'normal' peoples perceptions of strength, not my own. As a professional strength coach I reckon maybe I have an inkling about what you just said. But as I wasn't talking about my perceptions, that's as irrelevant as your post.

told lol
davycummingsIcon...04-10-2011 @ 11:43 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Harry said:

What a bizzare post.

I stayed out of this as I think its a very strange conversation for a strength forum. We tend to train so as to be above average strength, or as strong as we can be, so why would any of us want to be average? If you dont like being strong, stop training. Quite easy.

I dont think anyone realistically whshes they were not as strong as they are. If they do then why train, makes no sense.

Now, if you are talking about perception that is a very different thing. If you wanted no longer to be percieved by others as strong i can just about understand it. Would it wish it for myself, hell no.
HUGE_GUYIcon...04-10-2011 @ 12:08 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
You're doing pretty well!
I'm AMAZED by your 162.5 power clean at 78 bodyweight!!
Any chance of a vid next time?

I have a 160 on vid. Im trying 165 tonight, waiting for 170 till the camera comes out. My squat looks s**t, but its a high bar oly squat.
milsyIcon...04-10-2011 @ 12:14 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:
I have a 160 on vid. Im trying 165 tonight, waiting for 170 till the camera comes out. My squat looks s**t, but its a high bar oly squat.

230 oly back sqaut 160 overhead

No bench numbers?

Do we have an oly lifter on our hands?
milsyIcon...04-10-2011 @ 12:15 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Ah just seen it was power clean so doesn't matter
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...04-10-2011 @ 14:23 
Member 400, 22056 posts
davycummings said:
I stayed out of this as I think its a very strange conversation for a strength forum.

I agree with you - and I started it!!! Grin

Can't believe we're on page 6!

Just to clarify what I was trying to get across....

I enjoy strength training.

Among the people I know (away from the strength scene) I'm seen as "the strong guy" and feel a pressure to conform to that role. At work people look to me to keep them safe.

Occasionally I feel that it would be easier if I was average, so that pressure/expectation wouldn't be there.

That's all I meant.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions