REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 99 guests
You are here: HomeForumBeard_Of_Iron → View All Posts

View All Posts: Beard_Of_Iron

12345678910 ... ... 166167168169170171172173174175176

» Mike Howarth's Under 105kg Strongman Journal (Go to post)08-07-2011 @ 20:39 
by which I mean - Sainsbury's also have Haagen Dazs at half price at the moment
» Mike Howarth's Under 105kg Strongman Journal (Go to post)08-07-2011 @ 20:39 
Tesco's have been revealed to be conniving tricksters! On sallying forth there at the beginning of the week to take advantage of the offer in question, I was put out to find that the half price offer was limited only to certain flavours!

specifically it didn't extend to the delicacies of Cookie Dough Chip, White Chocolate and Raspberry or Vanilla Caramel Brownie!

Fortunately Sainsbury's are above such lowdown behaviour and I duly depleted their stocks. Grin

How's the ice cream intake Michael? clearly it has fuelled some nicely stout pullin'!
» Beard In Training (Go to post)08-07-2011 @ 16:15 
Boar said:Sweet triple! And edging closer to the holy grail of overhead strict press......XxX

Indeed my BoarsomeBoarHunk. I take inspiration from your OVERSHED PRESS SESSIONS.

Bit of an inconsistent week energy-wise but some work was done.

5 July 2011
===========
deadlift
up to
240 x 2 - good set
240 x 2 - tough set
*nothing left for the rest

6 July 2011
============
front squat
up to
145 x 3
145 x 3
145 x 3

pulldowns
3 x 12 or something

rotator cuff
1 x 20

8 July 2011
============
strict press
up to
60 x 3
70 x 3
80 x 3 - very tough??

squats
up to
180 x 3
190 x 1
200 x 3 PB
» Does anyone actually drink olive oil? (Go to post)07-07-2011 @ 20:36 
Steve said:
I have no idea how the average man or woman on the street is suposed to know what is right or wrong to eat.

But for the average man/woman on the street, aren't "the basics" all that's required for a reasonably healthy balanced diet?

Regardless of which newspaper/magazine/internet forum the non-training population refers to for nutrition advice, I would think every source agrees on a few basic principles:
- junk food, sweets, soft drinks and excessive drinking are bad for you
- your carbohydrates should be from whole grains rather than the refined sort (e.g. wholegrain seeded bread vs cheap white bread)
- eat protein every meal
- keep your meat and dairy reasonably low in fat (while the fat's not necessarily bad, this does keep the calories down)
- eat fish or some omega3 source a few times a week
- you should eat lots of fruit and vegetables ("5 a day" - though this is quite a low recommendation)

On top of that they all recommend some form of daily exercise even if it's just a walk.

To improve the health and waistline of the non training population, all they need to do is follow these rules.. beyond that I doubt whether cooking in butter vs cooking in sunflower oil is going to make a massive difference to their wellbeing unless it composes a major part of their diet.
» Does anyone actually drink olive oil? (Go to post)07-07-2011 @ 20:28 
Terminator said:
with all the milk, steak and eggs i consume, i'm pretty sure my saturated fat intake is well above the recommended level, so wouldn't olive oil saturated fats make the situtation even worse?

Well, first of all olive oil is only 13% saturated fat so in a tablespoon you're only getting 2g saturated fat.

Secondly, while people tend to equate animal fat = saturated fat, this is far from being the case. In regular supermarket (grain fed) meat less than half the fat in meat/poultry is going to be saturated, if the meat is free range / grass fed then the saturated fat will be lower (as will the overall fat levels).

Eggs are about 30% saturated even if they are from caged hens.

Dairy products tend to be higher in saturated fats, certainly, but even that's not going to be more than 60ish% saturated. Higher than meat for sure but it's not ALL saturated.

So you're probably taking in less saturates than you think, and olive oil is sufficiently low in saturated fats to improve the saturates-to-non saturates ratio you intake, rather than worsen it.

Saying that you want to avoid olive oil because it's got saturated fat in it (which you're already eating) is like saying you want to avoid eating fruit because it's got sugar in it.

And when you say 'recommended amount', whose recommendation are you taking? The GDA says 20g of saturated fat a day if I recall correctly, but that's in the context of a 2000 calorie diet (which also has just 45g of protein) - that recommendation certainly wouldn't apply to someone who weight trains and is trying to get bigger.

The higher fat diet 'gurus' (Di Pasquale, Poliquin and also the higher fat intake bodybuilders like John Meadows) recommend in the range of 40-50% of your fats to be saturated on a moderate fat diet, and if you are on a higher fat lower carb diet, possibly higher.

If you get the bulk of your fats from good quality meat and eggs then I think it'd be difficult for your saturated fat ratio to be unbalanced (and there is no evidence of a high saturated fat intake causing health problems, in fact if anything the reverse has been shown to be true). Anyway you'd have to drink pints of cream or something and take in no other fats for this to happen.

So eat your steak and eggs, cover your essential fats (fish oil omega 3s etc) and if you eat lots of full fat dairy as well then balance this with the less saturated olive oil, nuts, peanut butter etc - and you'll be fine.
» Does anyone actually drink olive oil? (Go to post)07-07-2011 @ 18:31 
Olive oil is largely monounsaturated fat and has a HOST of health benefits.

Why would this be bro science??

Saturated fats ARE healthy as part of a balanced fat intake. To try and completely exclude them from your diet is as bad as taking in too many.
» david haye fight (Go to post)02-07-2011 @ 20:58 
http://www.liveonlinefooty.com/index.php

This is a paid stream but has been very reliable in my experience. Has never failed me for football matches anyway! 2.50 to watch the fight.
» Beard In Training (Go to post)01-07-2011 @ 16:21 
thanks Dan and Neil! feel as if I'm grinding to a halt this week though...

29 June 2011
============
squats
bar x 5
bar x 5
70 x 3
110 x 3
140 x 3
160 x 3
175 x 1
192.5 x 3 PB
192.5 x 2

30 June 2011
============
front squat
bar x 5
bar x 5
60 x 3
100 x 3
120 x 3
142.5 x 3
142.5 x 3
142.5 x 3
142.5 x 3
142.5 x 3

1 July 2011
===========
strict press
bar x 8
bar x 8
40 x 8
60 x 5
70 x 3
80 x 1
85 x 1
92.5 x 1 PB joke of a rep
95 x 1 PB much harder Angry
100 x f had to try!

standing tricep extension
3 x 10

strength is okay but struggling with energy at the moment. will eat more.
» We can rebuild him (Go to post)28-06-2011 @ 19:22 
How did you enjoy your charity ride mate?? Were there many taking part?
» Life is like a box of Chocolates (Go to post)28-06-2011 @ 19:20 
I am relieved that the beard will make a return. When you go to Legoland, apply to this chap for trimming tips:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/52/125395847_dd11f0d989_z.jpg?z...
» New Year, New Journal for Powerlifting & Strongman Training (Go to post)28-06-2011 @ 19:15 
A Podium Birthday!! Belated happy returns John and congratulations on an excellent performance!
» Beard In Training (Go to post)28-06-2011 @ 19:13 
thanks Olly! far too much arms in my pressing though. selling myself short as when the tech is nailed these weights fly to lockout with minimal tricep involvement. must work on this!
» Beards training log (Go to post)28-06-2011 @ 19:06 
A fellow beard! The facial hair empire spreads! Welcome Dave and best of luck with your training.

Soon all on Sugden will have beards... Boar last of all perhaps, but even my beloved SuperPig will succumb eventually.
» Cardio and Fasted Cardio (Go to post)28-06-2011 @ 19:02 
Neil mate those 2 scoop whey shakes you're having - is it just pure whey with nothing else?

Whey alone has been shown to raise insulin levels (as well as being digested very rapidly and putting you in a negative nitrogen balance quicker) - best have some fats or fibre with those shakes, or go with a casein protein or whey/casein/egg blend or something slower digesting.
» Cardio and Fasted Cardio (Go to post)28-06-2011 @ 19:00 
Sophie said:After training your metabolism is elevated for half hour ish

It's elevated for FAR longer than that if you do heavy resistance training and strongman events!

The half an hour figure sounds more correct for post-steady state cardio (and even then it will depend on the length of the cardio, bodyweight of the individual etc).

12345678910 ... ... 166167168169170171172173174175176

You are here: HomeForumBeard_Of_Iron → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions