REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 122 guests

loal at gym carpetbaggers

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

rabn21Icon...19-03-2014 @ 10:16 
Member 3592, 275 posts
SQ 230, BP 175, DL 280
685.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
I remember years ago before I really got into powerlifting an man prob in late 50s early 60s came into the free weights room, preceeded to load about 200kg or so onto the bar with no warmup whatsoever and attempted a single. He moved it a couple of inches before his back snapped and he hobbled straight back out.
KevC86Icon...19-03-2014 @ 10:18 
Member 5141, 4220 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Wow, reading this thread really makes me appreciate my gyms! Cant remember the last time anything like this happened, the worst thing I ever have to see is people doing half rep squats, or 3 inch leg presses.
AMGIcon...20-03-2014 @ 17:31 
Member 3970, 183 posts
SQ 200, BP 130, DL 245
575.0 kgs @ 78kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 20.03.2014 @ 17:31 PM by AMG
This gym actually happens a lot where I go, it full of bodybuilders/powerlifters and then students just come in and basically act like tools.

The amount of FB status i've seen people put like "back on the 60kg dumbbells" when I've just seen you struggling with half rep 35's. Never do I comment on their status or call them out though. The people who don't brag normally lift the most.
JackRevansIcon...20-03-2014 @ 17:34 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
AMG said:This gym actually happens a lot where I go, it full of bodybuilders/powerlifters and then students just come in and basically act like tools.

The amount of FB status i've seen people put like "back on the 60kg dumbbells" when I've just seen you struggling with half rep 35's. Never do I comment on their status or call them out though. The people who don't brag normally lift the most.

you should comment on it, that would be hilarious
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...20-03-2014 @ 17:40 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22074 posts
Last night a guy was curling an empty bar topless in the squat rack.
MattD90Icon...20-03-2014 @ 17:42 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 20.03.2014 @ 17:44 PM by MattD90
n3ver3nder said:I was at the gym yesterday, and this guy comes and sets up the cage next to the one I'm using. Immediately sets the pins at the right height for a power curtsy. He eventually loads 50kg, after a slight detour of trying to load 'olympic' plates on a one inch bar, and then dropping the 'olympic' bar almost onto the mirror while swapping bars over.

He then f**ks off to talk to the receptionist for about 5 minutes, during which time the gyms resident dancer turns up (every gym has one, the guy that dances between sets. They do come in different flavours though, such as the wigga mouthing and gesturing along to his s**t rap, whilst ours is a quite camp Eastern European who is clearly listening to a mix of 90's techno and showtunes). He strips the bar, does a warmup set and then begins to load the bar to 60kg, getting halfway there before janner number 1 returns.

Discussion ensues about who is using the rack, and the dancer submits and decides to do leg press until the other is done. Whilst the first man is an older guy half the size of the dancer, he's got that 'step dad who beats his kids' vibe goign on, which I assume the dancer picked up on.

At this point I could have pointed out the best option would be for them to work in together, but as I was front squatting I was preoccupied with the auto-erotic asphyxiation of having racked the bar too close to my throat. The older guy then loads his 10kg and 5kg plate onto the other side of the bar, without noticing that on the opposite end there is a 20kg plate. He does a set of very uneven power curtsies, and looks thoroughly confused. I say nothing, because I didn't like my step dad either.

Working in between sets is something that most people have a massive problem with. If you suggest it people nearly always either retreat away at the idea and run off, or get aggressive.

I actually have only met the aggressive kind once, he's a guy at my gym who absolutely hates me, word in the gym is he hates anyone stronger or bigger than him (lol) but I don't know for sure. I could writes books on his antics with me but I wont bore you with the deets
JackRevansIcon...20-03-2014 @ 17:43 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Last night a guy was curling an empty bar topless in the squat rack.

one time also while training with travis we were about to front squat and a gentleman came up to us and very politely asked if we needed the weightlifting bar or if we could use the fatter commercial gym bar instead. I asked him what he needs it for (assuming it would be cleans or something) and he said curls.

he then proceeded to curl with the less satisfactory non weightlifting bar in the squat rack.

he was very nice about it though
CJRIcon...20-03-2014 @ 17:43 
Member 4145, 1331 posts
SQ 172.5, BP 115, DL 220
507.5 kgs @ 100.4kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:
I actually have only met the aggressive kind once, he's a guy at my gym who absolutely hates me, word in the gym is he hates anyone stronger or bigger than him (lol) but I don't know for sure. I could writes books on his antics with me but I wont bore you with the deets

Please do.
JackRevansIcon...20-03-2014 @ 17:44 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
CJR said:
Please do.
MattD90Icon...20-03-2014 @ 18:02 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 20.03.2014 @ 18:05 PM by MattD90
CJR said:
Please do.

Go on then, here's just a selection.

Encounter number 1:
He was deadlifting with his mate, with the only 2 bars in the gym, one in front of the other. I approached and asked how many sets left politely as you do. "I'm deadlifting", he snarled. I asked if there was the possibility of me lifting in with him or his mate, to which he said "I'm not taking all these plates off now" (160 on the bar). I said fine and walked away.

When he finished I stripped the bar to 60, warmed up to 210x5, whilst letting a young lad work in with me who was doing 80x5, because I actually learnt how to share my toys as a kid. He glares across the room at this for the rest of his session.

Encounter number 2:
At our gym we have those big hammer strength platforms attached to squat racks. They are so big that I consider them separate entities but whatever. Anyway there was a bar on the platform which I presumed not in use. Setup a bench in the squat rack ready to bench and he appears, he'd been in the toilet. He bellows loudly "Oh I'll just f**king move over here then shall I?! Not very f**king courteous is it?!" picking up his bar and moving across the room. I think the irony of swearing at someone whilst preaching courteousy was lost on him, but that aside, I tried to justify my actions, but I just couldn't get the words out, because I was just met with interruptions: "nah mate you just f**king crack on", he yells repeatedly, whilst putting his headphones back in. He is basically a guy that likes to feel has put people in their place but then puts his headphones back on and walks off to avoid any return fire. Apparently using something in a gym gives you monopoly over another piece of equipment that obstructs your view of the mirror (even when you leave that thing unattended).

A week later I see him doing the exact same thing on the platform (clean and press), this time he is MIDSET and a guy starts using the squat rack in front of his platform. He says nothing.

Encounter 3:
I was squatting for triples and he stands behind the rack with his mate and starts loudly talking about training. "Heavy squats are useless", he bleats. His eager friend nodding along to him like an eager Churchill dog. "You only need light ones to help your clean".

Whilst I was doing these heavy squats I was wearing a T shirt for a local weightlifting club, where people routinely clean more than his deadlift and also squat heavy..twice a day..for fun.

Encounter number 4:
A competing bodybuilder who is jacked as f**k joins our gym. I get friendly with him. A week later he says to me "I think there's a guy here who hates me". Ends up describing the same guy.

There are so many more stories lol...
JackRevansIcon...20-03-2014 @ 18:14 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
where is this gym? I propose a sugden training session after which he gets marinaded and barbiqued
unit94Icon...20-03-2014 @ 18:21 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10450 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
JackRevans said:where is this gym? I propose a sugden training session after which he gets marinaded and barbiqued

lol that would be class
brownbearIcon...20-03-2014 @ 18:30 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:where is this gym? I propose a sugden training session after which he gets marinaded and barbiqued

you can spitroast him jack
hermanIcon...20-03-2014 @ 18:33 
hermit
Member 3904, 988 posts
Encounter 4 gave me a chuckle.

I came across a similar guy the other day. Two squat racks in the gym, the kind with plate storage. There is also plenty of plates scattered across a very large gym, there is no shortage of plates, so you just grab whats nearest.

So I am just going through my warm up sets quickly, do 5 add weight, do 5 more etc.. Eventually need a small plate which I go to get off his rack while he is midset and has been using the same weight this whole time. He is just one of those guys that does loads of half reps with a fixed weight.

Soon as I go to get it, hes like "did you ahx me for dat?" not even, "I was going to use that" he was literally boiling away with fury, like I he had been violated. I was like chill out mate, was only going to use it for a set and quickly got on with loading my bar from elsewhere. But he just kept uttering nonsense, like I had at the very least insulted his mother. Never seen someone so angry about nothing.

No one knows how to share anything in big commercial gyms, literally every time I go I ask about 5 people to work in. Everyone is just confused like they havent heard of it. The mirror rule is fully adopted though, and most irritatingly a large number of people think they need to deadlift directly behind the squat rack even though the mirror covers the full wall and they wont let anyone use the rack while they are doing this either.
MattD90Icon...20-03-2014 @ 19:05 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq

Cheddar

(I just know this is gonna become another Bognor Regis for you)

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions