REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 205 guests
You are here: HomeForumNutritionWhat makes us fat?

What makes us fat?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

AKBCIcon...25-04-2013 @ 06:25 
Kettlebells RULE !!!
Member 3699, 407 posts
Paul chek has some interesting thoughts too about the reduced nutritional content of modern food meaning you need greater quantities in terms of calories to satisfy micronutrient needs, salt stimulating the stomach and therefore salt levels in food stimulating appetite further in spite of energy intake from eating them etc.

I dislike a lot of Paul Chek's attitude and some of the conclusions and recommendations he makes but I do find things like this interesting as further reasons why people fall into calorie surplus so consistently.
TobyCutlerIcon...25-04-2013 @ 08:09 
Allegedly very strong, but only Carls word for it
Member 682, 838 posts
YouTube Gary Taubes. He's got talks ect and evidence that calories don't make you fat
hermanIcon...25-04-2013 @ 22:28 
hermit
Member 3904, 988 posts
Post Edited: 26.04.2013 @ 00:10 AM by herman
drew said:
herman said:Carbs dont make you fat, it is a combination of things - mainly excess calories.
quote]
yay broscience Tongue
id wager my own money (and im tight) on there been very few people to become obese on an insufficient calorific diet

Obese and "fat" are two different things.

The popular definition of obese (as used on the BMI scale) is just based on bodyweight and height. It has nothing to do with how "lean" or chubby you are. If you weight "too much" for your height, then your are "obese".

The definition of "Fat" is also ropey at best. All in the eye of the beholder. My own definition of "fat" is if people are carrying enough blubber that it is impeding them in some way. There are people who are pretty much pure carnivores, like inuits who chomp on seal blubber and mongolians who eat yak and owt else. In the eyes of many people, conditioned by images in modern media - are FAT.

There are vegans who eat only fruit and starchy things in enormous quantities, but they are sometimes very lean and muscular.

It all depends on other stuff more so than small details of diet.

Our genetics pre date the human species by millions of years. Some of our primate ancestors may well have eaten only fruit and leaves. In the wildnerness of today, a major source of easily available calories is fruit. Wild fruit, particularly in the tropics in f**king packed with sugar (yes the fructose that many would say is poison). It is absurd and illogical to think that these valuable sources of concentrated and highly palateable calories have not played a very significant role in our biological evolution.
luke00Icon...25-04-2013 @ 23:33 
either Im a penis or Im not a penis
Member 722, 2977 posts
SQ 300, BP 220, DL 350
870.0 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.04.2013 @ 08:11 AM by luke00
I've stopped posting on here, but after reading some of the posts on here I've got to interject.
'Carbs don't make you fat'. WTF ?
In one respect that is true, but not how you think. Insulin makes us fat and what creates insulin spikes and production carbs. Carbs are fine if unprocessed, unrefined and low GI.
Next statement 'calories make you fat' - complete and utter s**t.
I could put you on a heavily calorie reduced diet, but you could eat what you wanted. 500 a day, eat a Big Mac, or 500 calories worth of sweets and that's it got the day. You would lose weight, yes, but you would still have an unsightly layer of fat around your stomach.
Next someone will be saying not to eat carbs after 7 and you won't put on weight.
Your not alone this level of Misinformation is ripe. I have drs and nurses as clients I even have a bupa nutritionalist and they don't have a f**king clue.
IrishMarcIcon...25-04-2013 @ 23:37 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq

It's maybe not 100% accurate or the truth, but interesting watch none the less.
SteveIcon...26-04-2013 @ 07:14 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
luke00 said:
Next statement 'calories make you fat' - complete and utter s**t.
I could put you on a heavily calorie reduced diet, but you could eat what you wanted. 500 a day, eat a Big Mac, or 500 calories worth of sweets and that's it got the day. You would lose weight, yes, but you would still have an unsightly layer of fat around your stomach.

Surely at the most basic level calories do make you fat. If you consume 2,000kcal a day extra you will get fat whatever you are eating? However perhaps this misses the point. If a certain diet make you want to eat more then strictly speaking whilst it is the excess calories which are causing the weight gain, it's actually the food choice which is causing the person to consume the extra calories

luke00 said:I've stopped posting on here, but after reading some of the posts on here I've got to interject.
'Carbs don't make you fat'. WTF ?
In one respect that is true, but not how you think. Insulin makes us fat and what creates insulin spikes and production carbs. Carbs are fine if unprocessed, unrefined and low GI

Intense aerobic exercise seems to probably change this and make simple carbs OK. Might they also be beneficial for people involved in intense anaerobic exercise?
hermanIcon...26-04-2013 @ 15:14 
hermit
Member 3904, 988 posts
luke00 said:

And this manner of weight reduction would be totally satisfactory to meet the demands of our health authorities, telling us we need to weigh under X amount to be "normal" and avoid fat peoples diseases.
Funky_monkeyIcon...26-04-2013 @ 16:19 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
luke00 said:Your not alone this level of Misinformation is ripe. I have drs and nurses as clients I even have a bupa nutritionalist and they don't have a fcking clue.

It was all going well until the last sentence. "I even have a bupa nutritionalist " when speaking of your clients coming to you for nutrition advice. Is the correct term not "nutritionist"?
Fluffy_DorkyIcon...28-05-2013 @ 23:23 
Member 3325, 520 posts
SQ 81, BP 40, DL 120
241.0 kgs @ 62.2kgs UnEq
AKBC said:Paul chek has some interesting thoughts too about the reduced nutritional content of modern food meaning you need greater quantities in terms of calories to satisfy micronutrient needs, salt stimulating the stomach and therefore salt levels in food stimulating appetite further in spite of energy intake from eating them etc.

I dislike a lot of Paul Chek's attitude and some of the conclusions and recommendations he makes but I do find things like this interesting as further reasons why people fall into calorie surplus so consistently.

Isn't he the guy who advocates not wearing a belt?
dr_hazbunIcon...29-05-2013 @ 09:18 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
IainKendrick said:Uptaking far more energy than we expend. The rest are exasperating factors.

Exactly.

People overcomplicate this in order to make money out of it.

Chronic overeating is the answer.
martinbIcon...29-05-2013 @ 09:39 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
dr_hazbun said:
Exactly.

Yes.

So tell everyone to eat less and everyone will get slimmer

No wait, thatz what we do and everyone is fat

Its all well and good keeping it simple, but the simple advice given over the last 50 years seems to have created an obesity epidemic
PeteHodgsonIcon...29-05-2013 @ 09:47 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
dr_hazbun said:
Exactly.

Maybe this is partly true of the supplement industry, but think about the food industry. They push crappy low fat highly processed food. so called healthy options and low fat ready meals, cereal etc. It can't just be calories in v calories out.
IrishMarcIcon...29-05-2013 @ 10:03 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
http://i.imgur.com/BA5SMOl.jpg

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681#t=article

Background: Current perception is that participants of a structured weight-loss program regain all of their weight loss within 5 y.

Objective: The objective was to examine the long-term weight-loss maintenance of individuals completing a structured weight-loss program.

Design: Studies were required to 1) have been conducted in the United States, 2) have included participants in a structured weight-loss program, 3) have provided follow-up data with variance estimates for ≥2 y. Primary outcome variables were weight-loss maintenance in kilograms, weight-loss maintenance as a percentage of initial weight loss, and weight loss as a percentage of initial body weight (reduced weight).

Results: Twenty-nine studies met the inclusion criteria. Successful very-low-energy diets (VLEDs) were associated with significantly greater weight-loss maintenance than were successful hypoenergetic balanced diets (HBDs) at all years of follow-up. The percentage of individuals at 4 or 5 y of follow-up for VLEDs and HBDs were 55.4% and 79.7%, respectively. The results for VLEDs and HBDs, respectively, were as follows: weight-loss maintenance, 7.1 kg (95% CI: 6.1, 8.1 kg) and 2.0 (1.5, 2.5) kg; percentage weight-loss maintenance, 29% (25%, 33%) and 17% (13%, 22%); and reduced weight, 6.6% (5.7%, 7.5%) and 2.1% (1.6%, 2.7%). Weight-loss maintenance did not differ significantly between women and men. Six studies reported that groups who exercised more had significantly greater weight-loss maintenance than did those who exercised less.

Conclusions: Five years after completing structured weight-loss programs, the average individual maintained a weight loss of &rt;3 kg and a reduced weight of &rt;3% of initial body weight. After VLEDs or weight loss of ≥20 kg, individuals maintained significantly more weight loss than after HBDs or weight losses of
IrishMarcIcon...29-05-2013 @ 10:05 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 29.05.2013 @ 10:06 AM by IrishMarc
Systematic review of randomized controlled trials of low-carbohydrate vs. low-fat/low-calorie diets in the management of obesity and its comorbidities

This systematic review included all known RCTs of LC diets vs. the LF/HC diet from 2000 to 2007. Factors including weight, cholesterol, blood pressure and glycemic control were evaluated, as these are important in weight loss and cardiovascular disease risk.

Evidence from this systematic review demonstrates that LC/HP diets are more effective at 6 months and are as effective, if not more, as LF diets in reducing weight and cardiovascular disease risk up to 1 year. As there were only 13 studies included and several of them allowed the reintroduction of carbohydrates in the LC/HP diet, the evidence of the long-term efficacy of these diets is not complete. Certainly at 6 months, the evidence is in favour of the use of LC/HP diet. It may not be appropriate to return to a HC intake for weight maintenance (29,30). A gradual reintroduction while still limiting the intake of carbohydrate may be more appropriate.

With the prevalence of obesity increasing there is a need for larger and long-term RCTs of low- or very-low-carbohydrate diets compared with the LF/HC diets to be carried out. The influence of behavioural therapy and exercise interventions needs to be evaluated, as well as lifestyle, appetite and mood questionnaires.

It is not known with certainty which aspect of LC diets causes the weight loss and cardiovascular disease risk factor changes. Whether it is the LC, the HP or calorie restriction needs to be examined. In addition, there is a need to assess if the greater weight loss achieved at 6 months on a LC/HP diet results in more important long-term improvements of cardiovascular disease.

There is a need for trials to include a follow-up period, to examine adherence to the LC diets and whether participants maintain their weight loss and CVD risk factor change when there is minimum contact with the study investigators. Finally, taking account of high attrition rates when using RCTs for dietary and lifestyle interventions, perhaps we will witness a move towards a continuous improvement methodology in the future.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2008.00...

Against Iso-caloric diets with higher carbohydrate intakes people with lower carbohydrate intake experience greater weight loss...

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/394-intredasting.png
IrishMarcIcon...29-05-2013 @ 10:09 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
The formatting of posts on this website is broke as f**k. Posted 3 studies with quotes and it posted 1....

You are here: HomeForumNutritionWhat makes us fat?
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions