Administrator
Gingy said:
Fair enough. Happy
DUDE'S A BEAST!

I think we can all agree on that!
HUGE_GUYIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:00 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
Interesting topic. A good sprinter told me i can lift so much for my size because there are a few people who can bypass their slow twitch muscle fibres and go right to fast twitch instead of the other way around which is the norm. That and it's a skill that you can train to an extent, to recruit more fibres.

Id say you have to be born with it, i see so many people training better than me in the gym, but no where near the same speed or power.
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:03 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:Interesting topic. A good sprinter told me i can lift so much for my size because there are a few people who can bypass their slow twitch muscle fibres and go right to fast twitch instead of the other way around which is the norm. That and it's a skill that you can train to an extent, to recruit more fibres.

Id say you have to be born with it, i see so many people training better than me in the gym, but no where near the same speed or power.

But surely your extensive background in jumping has benefitted your efficiency in recruiting fast twitch fibres?

Another question to ask is if you hadn't jumped for as long as you had but picked up lifting weights at the same age you have, would you have progressed exceptionally quickly?
slimsimIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:15 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Gingy - you are wrong! Grin

example - why do only a very small percentage of lifters in the Chinese and Russian sports academies become world champions?

They are all selected from a similar age
They would all have (probably) identical or near training regimes
Their nutrition would be catered for identically
Anthropometrically the would also all be very similar

So why do some end up better than others? Genetics!
HUGE_GUYIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:16 
Member 2745, 803 posts
Ill have a go at answering that gingy.

I think i would have improved just the same, but just had a weaker base to start with.

I can only say for myself though, i started late, never had pushy parents, and just wanted to have fun all the time with mates, so maybe im the best person to answer this. I only started jumping at 15, before that it was rugby, and other school sports which isnt pure explosive. Even when i started jumping at 15, it was mostly conditioning until i started training myself at 18.

Now 24 and im still progressing steadily. Id say the only difference is if i started at 12, i may have seen my best days already.
JackRevansIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:18 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
slimsim said:Gingy - you are wrong! Grin

example - why do only a very small percentage of lifters in the Chinese and Russian sports academies become world champions?

or... if their training is exactly the same, maybe the training routine suits some of them better than others. also, if their diet is the same, maybe some of them are better suited to a different weight class. or something like that, i just felt like contradicting someone
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:18 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
slimsim said:Gingy - you are wrong! Grin

Ok how about this? What percentage of the lifters in the Chinese and Russian sports academies become world class or at the very least more explosive/stronger than most of us dream possible?

Plus, although many many things are similar, not everything can be eliminated, injuries etc.

Also, how about the classic identical twin dilema where 1 ends up being good academically and 1 ends up good at sport? Same genetics, why such different "talents"?
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:24 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:Ill have a go at answering that gingy.

I think i would have improved just the same, but just had a weaker base to start with.

I can only say for myself though, i started late, never had pushy parents, and just wanted to have fun all the time with mates, so maybe im the best person to answer this. I only started jumping at 15, before that it was rugby, and other school sports which isnt pure explosive. Even when i started jumping at 15, it was mostly conditioning until i started training myself at 18.

Now 24 and im still progressing steadily. Id say the only difference is if i started at 12, i may have seen my best days already.

So what you're basically saying is that when you started jumping you were nothing exceptional but 8-10 years down the line you are a particularly explosive individual? Surely this just says that you didn't have any inherent talent but rather have a skill set in place as a result of a HUGE amount of training?
HUGE_GUYIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:32 
Member 2745, 803 posts
I always had natural speed and was generally athletic. I climbed to the top of a lampost and back down at 4. When i was 12 and TINY my older brother bought a weights set, i remember straight away muscle cleaning 60kg and getting it overhead, also benched it for a double. All my mates who tried were in the 20-30 range, even my brother 3 years older did 55.

Obviously once you are fully grown you have to develop talent further, and i pretty much stopped at 16/17. As soon as i started power training i responded massively where as the others training with me didnt. I beleive you have to be born to be the fastest/strongest man on the planet
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:40 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
HUGE_GUY said:I always had natural speed and was generally athletic. I climbed to the top of a lampost and back down at 4. When i was 12 and TINY my older brother bought a weights set, i remember straight away muscle cleaning 60kg and getting it overhead, also benched it for a double. All my mates who tried were in the 20-30 range, even my brother 3 years older did 55.

Obviously once you are fully grown you have to develop talent further, and i pretty much stopped at 16/17. As soon as i started power training i responded massively where as the others training with me didnt. I beleive you have to be born to be the fastest/strongest man on the planet

Did you ever do Tumble tots? Silly I know but I'm curious.

I honestly think there are factors which have caused you to nurture a skill (in this case speed and power) very early on in your life where people who had the same potential ability as you (and I think that's a huge percentage) were focusing on something else, most likely not playing competitive games with their brother who is 3 years older than you and makes for a hell of an early years training partner/motivation to be quicker/stronger.
SteBakerIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:41 
THE original and THE best ...
Member 297, 2523 posts
SQ 210, BP 155, DL 272.5
637.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Cool soon of a gun ! Flipping madness !
slimsimIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:50 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Gingy said:
Ok how about this? What percentage of the lifters in the Chinese and Russian sports academies become world class or at the very least more explosive/stronger than most of us dream possible?
Plus, although many many things are similar, not everything can be eliminated, injuries etc.
Also, how about the classic identical twin dilema where 1 ends up being good academically and 1 ends up good at sport? Same genetics, why such different "talents"?

I agree, that in a lot of instances lack of opportunity or motivation is by far the most limiting factor, hence why these athletes end up so good. However, some do still end up better than others - that cannot be disputed Happy
HUGE_GUYIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:52 
Member 2745, 803 posts
Gingy, i never played tumble tots no. I always played run outs as a kid, used to jump on walls for no reason, used to race everyone in my street when i was 4-5.

BUT, i was also did cross country and in my teens walked about 15 miles everyday to school, mates house etc which is the opposite of power. I also did up to 800/1500m in highschool, not great at it but the best in my school and i still did it.

It's nature vs nurture, anyones guess really. But even at 16 i was doing massive amount of conditioning work like long hills runs and i trained bloody hard, was sick every session but just wasnt progressing. So that's why i believe it's nature, just took me a while to figure it out.
Tom_MartinIcon...19-06-2012 @ 14:57 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
my experience seemed to have been the opposite of huge guys. started early and was s**t!
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 15:16 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:my experience seemed to have been the opposite of huge guys. started early and was s**t!

I'm going to consider this a win Grin

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions