Who's Online - 1 member and 163 guests

VikingR Sponsor Clarence Kennedy

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

MarkCleggIcon...19-06-2012 @ 10:24 
knock knock !! who's there ?? OLD SCHOOL SUGDEN
Member 212, 11439 posts
SQ 325, BP 212.5, DL 370
907.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
If we got him over to do an half time exhibition at a strongman comp i would guess more people would want to see the flips than the 200kg C&J ..

Awesome Athlete
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 10:45 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Dave85 said:I'm going to ask what might be a stupid question but how do you train to be that explosive?

I'm going to take a massive gamble and guess that he's been involved in some kind of explosive sport for the better part of his adolesence at least.

I don't think it's something you can replicate except for, obviously, dedicating a good long time (years) to something like Oly lifting/ sprinting in a serious way.

I'm sure you can improve elements of your own explosion but Clarence's speed (and Tom Martins,HUGE_GUYs and Shaun Cleggs) is a result of years and years of only dedicated "explosive" training including a large portion done as they were growing.
ursusIcon...19-06-2012 @ 11:03 
Man up and have a fuckin coffee
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
awesome !
CuddlesIcon...19-06-2012 @ 11:06 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Gingy said:
I'm going to take a massive gamble and guess that he's been involved in some kind of explosive sport for the better part of his adolesence at least.
I don't think it's something you can replicate except for, obviously, dedicating a good long time (years) to something like Oly lifting/ sprinting in a serious way.
I'm sure you can improve elements of your own explosion but Clarence's speed (and Tom Martins,HUGE_GUYs and Shaun Cleggs) is a result of years and years of only dedicated "explosive" training including a large portion done as they were growing.

I think a hell of a lot has to do with what you're born with too.

I've been doing a lot of athletics coaching for 11-14 year olds this year and some of the explosive power these kids have with no training is mind blowing.
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 11:12 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
I think a hell of a lot has to do with what you're born with too.
I've been doing a lot of athletics coaching for 11-14 year olds this year and some of the explosive power these kids have with no training is mind blowing.

You see, I don't!

I think for every kid who's "naturally explosive" there's a back story to explain it. When you say they've got no training I honestly think that overlooks the countless number of hours they've had racing their older brother, jumping on things etc. or very often having done tumble tots or some similar program.

I think it is exceptionally rare for anyone to be naturally good at anything in fact, not merely in the realm of sport.
slimsimIcon...19-06-2012 @ 11:33 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Great call recruiting Clarence and a very astute move Mark. The guy has so many subscribers and people watching his videos on youtube that it's unreal.
CuddlesIcon...19-06-2012 @ 11:46 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Gingy said:
You see, I don't!
I think for every kid who's "naturally explosive" there's a back story to explain it. When you say they've got no training I honestly think that overlooks the countless number of hours they've had racing their older brother, jumping on things etc. or very often having done tumble tots or some similar program.
I think it is exceptionally rare for anyone to be naturally good at anything in fact, not merely in the realm of sport.

So what makes some of them better than their peers? They accidently 'trained' better between the ages of 5 and 10? Take 100 kids who have all done roughly the same volume and style of exercise in their formative years and get them to do 10 different track and field events, they will all be good at different events because of their natural physiology.

Hard work is the clincher for anyone, but I cant fathom the view that natural ability/genetics doesnt come into it.
SteveIcon...19-06-2012 @ 11:56 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:
So what makes some of them better than their peers? They accidently 'trained' better between the ages of 5 and 10? Take 100 kids who have all done roughly the same volume and style of exercise in their formative years and get them to do 10 different track and field events, they will all be good at different events because of their natural physiology.
Hard work is the clincher for anyone, but I cant fathom the view that natural ability/genetics doesnt come into it.

I also think genetics is a huge factor. Not only are the lucky ones better to start with, they seem to react to training better. I'm sure you can improve your explosiveness to an extent, but largely I think it's something you are born with.
davycummingsIcon...19-06-2012 @ 12:09 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Steve said:
I also think genetics is a huge factor. Not only are the lucky ones better to start with, they seem to react to training better. I'm sure you can improve your explosiveness to an extent, but largely I think it's something you are born with.

I would tend to agree. I also think it is something you can lose to an extent by taking your training in the wrong direction
slimsimIcon...19-06-2012 @ 12:13 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Steve said:

I agree.
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 12:41 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.06.2012 @ 12:47 PM by Gingy
Cuddles said:

I just have never seen anyone who's actually born to do something.

I teach maths and people make a very similar pitfall with their approach to the subject. Some think they're naturally good and some think they're naturally bad. Every single time this is not true. People who are good are motivated and have accumulated significant quality practice with good feedback. Those who are bad are poorly motivated and haven't done much practice. This is a truth that many people prefer to ignore because it gives them an excuse.

I find it fascinating that people think they're observing natural talent when person A happens to be better than person B on the first ever day they do something like in the case with athletics as you say. Of course, with some things height will help e.g. no one is going to be a jockey if you're 6 foot tall but there is no real evidence to suggest that person A can't be as explosive/mathematical as anyone else.

My main point would be that the average person has the capacity to be "world class" at anything and we should avoid implying that the reason someone like Clarence is so quick is because he's "talented". Quite frankly I think it's offensive to him, although I'm sure nobody means it that way.

EDIT: on the reason why some kids are better than others bit. Take 2 kids in year 7 (both 11) with one being born in September and one in August. One has an 11 month advantage in terms of physical development compared to the other (A huge ammount at that age) so seems to be naturally stronger/faster. Person B doesn't get a look in and labels himself "bad at sprinting" so never bothers to try very hard and applies himself to something else. Person A is talent spotted, given the best coaching, is more motivated due to his early success and sure enough improves. Next year the same thing happens in school but Person A has been practicing and person B gave up. Obviously the gap between the two has increased and Person A seems even more talented.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Clarence is a ridiculously good athlete who's worked exceptionally hard and smart to achieve the impressive lifts he has. I'm sure he's capable of much more as well! Eek
CuddlesIcon...19-06-2012 @ 12:47 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Gingy said:
I teach maths and people make a very similar pitfall with their approach to the subject. Some think they're naturally good and some think they're naturally bad. Every single time this is not true. People who are good are motivated and have accumulated significant quality practice with good feedback. Those who are bad are poorly motivated and haven't done much practice. This is a truth that many people prefer to ignore because it gives them an excuse.
I find it fascinating that people think they're observing natural talent when person A happens to be better than person B on the first ever day they do something like in the case with athletics as you say. Of course, with some things height will help e.g. no one is going to be a jockey if you're 6 foot tall but there is no real evidence to suggest that person A can't be as explosive/mathematical as anyone else.
My main point would be that the average person has the capacity to be "world class" at anything and we should avoid implying that the reason someone like Clarence is so quick is because he's "talented". Quite frankly I think it's offensive to him, although I'm sure nobody means it that way.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, Clarence is a ridiculously good athlete who's worked exceptionally hard and smart to achieve the impressive lifts he has. I'm sure he's capable of much more as well! Eek

I disagree with everything you aay apart from what you say about our man here Clarence so let's just agree to disagree Grin
GingyIcon...19-06-2012 @ 12:56 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
I disagree with everything you aay apart from what you say about our man here Clarence so let's just agree to disagree Grin

Fair enough. Happy

DUDE'S A BEAST!
SteveIcon...19-06-2012 @ 13:14 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:
Gingy said:

Matthew Syed (the tabletennis player) in his book Bounce, make the point that when you look at child prodigies in sport, almost without fail they have put in thousands and thousands of hours practice to achieve excellence and it's not just something that comes naturally.

The only thing I wonder wonder is how many other children put in thousands and thousands of hours of practice not to be successful, or give up practicing because they fail to get results from their training.
CuddlesIcon...19-06-2012 @ 13:52 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
Matthew Syed (the tabletennis player) in his book Bounce, make the point that when you look at child prodigies in sport, almost without fail they have put in thousands and thousands of hours practice to achieve excellence and it's not just something that comes naturally.
The only thing I wonder wonder is how many other children put in thousands and thousands of hours of practice not to be successful, or give up practicing because they fail to get results from their training.

I have read the book, it's a really interesting read.

Your thoughts mirror mine. TO me, it takes the physiological make up AND the work ethic.

I alos think there is an inherent difference between events that are at the extremes of human performance and those that involve some athletic ability but are more dependent on skill, ie marathon running vs golf.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions