Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitA Very Big Decision

A Very Big Decision

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Well guys, I've reached a major turning point in my life and have come to a big decision, which I thought I'd share with my real and virtual friends here on Sugden.

It looks like I'll be leaving the North West shortly and moving back to the Hebrides. It's been on my mind for some time and I've spent long enough weighing up the pros and cons. I'm conscious that inaction represents a decision (of sorts) so that isn't an option.

Without touching on all the reasons, the tipping point has been my failure to find work down here since I closed the gym. I've been applying for jobs right, left, and centre for months now, but to no avail. I seem to be either ridiculously overqualified, or not currently in a commensurate position. Or I'm being unofficially plain discriminated against for being the wrong side of 50. Most fitness centres seem to favour kids with NVQs to a 50+ world champion/record holder powerlifter who also has NVQs, and I'm just not getting enough speaking work to pay the bills. I've even had the new experience of being rejected for a job before the closing date!!

I've been living off the proceeds of the gym sale for the last year and that can't go on.

I have three applications for jobs I would positively excel at pending at the moment. If nothing comes of them, I've decided I've got to face facts. A move to the Hebrides will allow me to live virtually mortgage free, I'll pick up a little part time job, and continue to focus on my lifting. The house goes on the market tomorrow. Whatever happens I need to downsize.

I feel better for sharing that!Happy
as long as you dont move south of the trent ,youll be ok for work Wink

sounds like you have thought long and hard martin mate , your dogs will certainly enjoy the walks !!
Post Edited: 09.06.2008 @ 17:06 PM by Rob
Best of luck with it all Martin, they do same home is where the heart is Happy
You'll have to watch out for all those dodgy scottsmen though Martin, I hear they are fond of crazy things like golden singlets and such.
sorry to hear that martin,sounds like you have a plan though which always helps .whatever your descision I hope it works out for you!
Whatever way things work out - good luck Martin. You are a trooper and you can't keep a good man down for long.

Have you considered agency work or temporary contracting just to get your toe in the market. Once an employer takes you on, the age blinkers might fall away from thier eyes?
If I could survive in the hebrides without my job (and I didn't have an English accent lol) I'd be there like a shot. Underpopulation, great cycling and fantastic scenery sounds like a dream come true to me!

Whatever happens - best of luck - be it that you stay in the Northwest because something comes up jobwise in the near future, or that you move northwards Happy
whoah, pissing me off that ageism, especially with a growing mature gym user population.

But what ever happens, all the best with the big decision and implementing it. Good to hear there is fire in the man enough to make drastic life changes!
I've nothing useful to add, (g)Old Man.

Good luck with it all.
I'm sure this has been a very difficult decision for you to make, especialy where your children are concerned too. It's hard to believe that you've found it so difficult to find work, have you tried wearing the gold leotard for interviews?
dr_hazbun
I wish you all the best mate. I'm sure you'll make the right decision come crunch time.

I'm no stranger to moving. With the NHS you sort of have to. Since 2004, I've worked in Cambridge, Norwich, Great Yarmouth, 2 places within London, and now Oxford.
Titch said:
I've nothing useful to add, (g)Old Man.

Good luck with it all.

Same here mate, best of luck!
powerhungry
I wish u good luck martin, im sure youll find the right path soon enough...
jimblanchflower
We will just have to hope that one of the irons in the fire comes good for you. Otherwise we could wait for you to train up a team up there and stage some internationals.
If I could afford it I'd be off like a shot. Beautifull part of the world.

We dont pay anything Martin but you'll always have a job with us mate, and I hope your planned mini contract in May next year only means a longer drive to BirminghamHappy

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitA Very Big Decision
Return to top View Desktop Site