Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 2223242526272829303132

littlegirlbunnyIcon...18-04-2008 @ 19:35 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Joni said:
sounds like you have had pretty good going sports wise in past 9 months though!

Plan looks solid, and squat starting weight looks high, but if its easy for you, then the mountain biking must have kept the legs powerful!

Welcome back, and tell that Adam mofo to drop by a bit more often as well Grin

Squat starting weight was pretty easy - I did 60 3x3 a few weeks back no major trouble so the 50 kg for 5x3 was a breeze. Think the combination of cycling and squatting real deep with 40 kg for about...hmm...8 months! ....seems to have helped not loose it completely. Prolly a bloody long way off a PB but that's fine - summut before the end of the year would be good.

I'll tell Adam - he's been about on the board but you know him and technology - chances of more than two posts a year are slim to nonexistant Wink

dr_hazbun said:
jimblanchflower said:
Being good at PL requires longevity, - you have to push yourself, but at the same time you have to make sure that you know when to push and when to step back.

Just read the last page of your log. Good luck with your training!

I was told by a several times BWLA British, European IPF, and Commonwealth (female) champion exactly what Jim has mentioned above: 'successful powerlifters are like thoroughbred racing horses, pushed hard only when they have to. Rest and periods of backing off are paramount.'

Aye - guess i'm more like a sherpa's donkey than thoroughbred race horse lol eeehawww.h

Olly said:
Jo!!

Welcome back, good to hear the injuries are on the mend. How's life Darn Sarth? and how fat is Adam these days?

Good luck with the training!

Life's good thanks Grin Missing the dry northern humour and random friendly people but otherwise it's mighty fine to be outta the city. Adam is fine and not really fat....I keep trying to tell him this but all I get is 'does my bum look big in this singlet?'

Just one question - who the f**k has been watching my video?? Eek Can't believe it is number 2 lol That's funny if not slightly disturbing because unless someone has been showing it during 'how not to deadlift' training sessions I can't see any real powerlifting reason for it to be so watched. Eek!
MattGriffIcon...19-04-2008 @ 18:24 
Member 194, 3976 posts
Wow, detailed plan!

Best of luck with your lifting and injuries and what not.
littlegirlbunnyIcon...19-04-2008 @ 22:37 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Friday - supposed to be bench day but work got in the way Angry

Saturday

15 mile hike a bike (prolly 5 miles was walking/pushing into a gale force headwind...felt a lot more than 15 miles that's for sure - took us 4 hours or so)across the peaks including first attempt at Jacobs Ladder. Total sucess - cleaned the lot and found my missing mojo which had been left on the downhill course at Cannock when I knocked myself out a few weeks back. Hell, it's good to be back Grin

Got home to realise it was also bench day....thankfully just the first session of this routine cos the cycling took a lot more out of me than I was planning.

Bench - 20 kg warm up: 3 sets of 8 with varying grips to free my shoulders up
30 kg: 5, 5
36 kg: 5 triples

Rows

Tricep stuff

MattGriff said:
Wow, detailed plan!

Best of luck with your lifting and injuries and what not.

Ah cheers Grin
MattGriffIcon...21-04-2008 @ 11:37 
Member 194, 3976 posts
littlegirlbunny said:
15 mile hike a bike (prolly 5 miles was walking/pushing into a gale force headwind...felt a lot more than 15 miles that's for sure - took us 4 hours or so)across the peaks including first attempt at Jacobs Ladder. Total sucess - cleaned the lot and found my missing mojo which had been left on the downhill course at Cannock when I knocked myself out a few weeks back. Hell, it's good to be back Grin

Eek Eek I got tired just reading that! How did you bench after doing all that riding??? If I even miss a meal I feel weak as a weak thing in the gym, let alone 4 hrs of cardio (unless its the good sort which fires me up more).
Fair play to ya!
littlegirlbunnyIcon...21-04-2008 @ 21:18 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Sunday - rest day.

Monday
AM - brief run and hill walk with dogs in morning (~40 mins in total)

PM - Squat Day WEEK 2

Warm up on treadmill (having to be strict and limit my running before training now to 10 mins or I'll be plodding away for half an hour and have nothing left to lift with!) - 3 mins building speed to 11 km/hr for 5 mins then 4 mins at 12 km/hr then last min at 13 km/hr

Squats
Free squats for warm up (no bar) - lots of sets
20 kg: 5, 5
30 kg: 5
40 kg: 3, 3
50 kg: 3
55 kg: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

All deep - all easy enough Happy

Good mornings (still new to this exercise but quite enjoy them)
20 kg: 10 30 kg: 10 40 kg: 5, 5, 5

Leg extensions
3 blocks (dont know how much that is in weight): 8 4 blocks: 8 5 blocks: 8
6 blocks: 6, 6, 6

Abs - little bigs
10 kg: 10, 10
12.5 kg: 10, 10

Physio stretching

Off to Lakes tommorow - with work not cycling unfortunately - but that does mean a few days off training to recover before Thursday's 20 mile bike ride, Friday's deadlifts and the jump course at the weekend Happy

MattGriff said:
Eek Eek I got tired just reading that! How did you bench after doing all that riding??? If I even miss a meal I feel weak as a weak thing in the gym, let alone 4 hrs of cardio (unless its the good sort which fires me up more).
Fair play to ya!

Yeah - it was the good sort that got me fired up to lift - nothing like plummiting down some rocky peaks descents with 19 slightly mad guys to get the adrenalin flowing Grin

The copious amounts of food I ate through the day certainly helped as well though Tongue
littlegirlbunnyIcon...24-04-2008 @ 21:30 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Oh hell.

Two weeks in and I go and injure myself....had a bit of an off on the bike today...stupid bloody fall in all, not a nice impressive high speed off which are always worth the injury risk. Went down straight onto my right shoulder. Think I have either damaged the front delt or the rotarcuff because I can't do a front raise, or, well, really move the arm at all without pain.

Can you believe it Unhappy

So hmm, may have to extend my 6 week program a little!
MattGriffIcon...25-04-2008 @ 11:32 
Member 194, 3976 posts
Its that cardio you know, not good for the soul!
littlegirlbunnyIcon...01-05-2008 @ 21:34 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
So a week later and the shoulder is still pretty f**ked with hardly any ROM away from the body. Roll-Eyes

I had a brief visit to the gym yesterday to see if I could get away with deads. The answer was a resounding no unfortunately. Even leg extensions hurt holding onto the handles Eek So i'll be leaving the lifting for a little while longer. I keep telling myself its not the end of the world - whats a few more weeks on the end of a rather unmotivated year? Not really that much at the end of the day. At least I still have the motivation and am busting to get back to the gym again so that really is the most important thing. I'll still manage to lift summut decent by the end of the year! Happy
littlegirlbunnyIcon...04-05-2008 @ 18:02 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Well, the shoulder is gradually on the mend, although it is still very limited in ROM and gives me a lot of pain with some things. Stupidly it is ok to cycle with so I have got a couple of trips out over the last week including a good 4 hour blast at Cannock yesterday.

Today was a proper trial at the gym to see what I could and couldn't do squat-wise.

Did a 15 min run for warm up then as much shoulder mobility as I could without causing adverse pain.

Back Squats were out because I just could not get my arms under the bar either with a wide grip or a narrow one. Luckily front squats were fine Grin

Not done these for a very very very long time so this was as much about practice as weight. The only way to take the pressure off my shoulder was to do them with good form - bar pressed right in to my windpipe and making sure I didn't fall forwards on the way up.

20 kg: 8, 8, 8
30 kg: 3 triples
40 kg: 3 triples

Leg press - another new exercise for me, I haven't ever used this kind of leg press before so it was an awful lot harder than I was expecting! Weights recorded are there, or thereabouts - no one in the gym knows the exact weight of the foot platform but it seems to be somewhere between 25 kg and 40 kg. I've just assumed it's 30 kg

Platform to get foot positioning and get used to movement = lots of sets
70 kg: 8, 8
110 kg: 5 x 5

Seated rows - did a few sets but they aggrevated my shoulder just too much

Hyperextensions - lots of unweighted sets to get used to the new piece of kit then a couple of sets with a 10 kg plate = LOWER BACK ON FIRE Grin Grin

Bit of abs, but again, weighted stuff was too much for my shoulder.

Overall good workout considering. Lots of new exercises or new bits of equipment to play with for the next couple of weeks 'til the shoulder heals. Hopefully it will keep some strength there so I have something to build on when I get back to powerlifting. Happy

The other good news is - I have a suspicion i'll be able to do close grip bench press by the next workout - as long as my elbows dont move away from the body too much the shoulder seems ok. Fingers crossed!
MattGriffIcon...06-05-2008 @ 15:26 
Member 194, 3976 posts
Being able to close grip = good, aside board presses deffo one of the best if not the best for lockout power.

As for the leg press, just forget what the platform weights, I can never be arsed with such trivial things, the day i do you may also see me performin bicep cable curls in a little vest followed by several sets of crunches then watching what I eat.

On another note, leg press are good! Especially if you power squat as it gives and opportunitly to get the quads a little more.

And on yet another note, mountain biking = cardio that isn't sex = very bad! Tanning oil and gun flexing poses will follow!
littlegirlbunnyIcon...08-05-2008 @ 14:05 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
MattGriff said:
Being able to close grip = good, aside board presses deffo one of the best if not the best for lockout power.

As for the leg press, just forget what the platform weights, I can never be arsed with such trivial things, the day i do you may also see me performin bicep cable curls in a little vest followed by several sets of crunches then watching what I eat.

On another note, leg press are good! Especially if you power squat as it gives and opportunitly to get the quads a little more.

And on yet another note, mountain biking = cardio that isn't sex = very bad! Tanning oil and gun flexing poses will follow!

I can't help it. It's the environment at the gym.......lots and lots of people with very dark tans undertaking 27 sets of each variety of bicep exercise per session. And the occasional spat of 'roid rage. What am I supposed to do - it's like a bad STD - very infectious! Tongue

Don't agree about the moutainbiking thing though - proper rough hardcore stuff that is Wink

Training

Ok, so I admit, I may have been doing a little more CV of late. Running and cycling and stuff. Most days. Must stop, must stop....

Wednesday 7th - PHYSIO
Briefly he said that he wasn't sure exactly what I had done because it had been so long since the accident. However, the pain and lack of mobility I still have (which is getting better day by day) it related to the inflammation in and surrounding the joint. So when I raise my arm the tissues are getting stuck in the joint, thus causing pain. I also have a lot of muscle tension and spasming surrounding the joint. In addition the tight muscles which I was originally having physio for are coming back because I am having difficulty doing the exercises he has given me because of the new shoulder injury. He said he couldn't be sure that there wasn't any ligament damage, but that either way it could take up to another 4 weeks to properly heal Eek

However, he did say that I should try and mobilise/stretch it as much as possible, without aggrevating the tissues that are inflammed. So it's a case of reading my body and knowing the limits and trying to get the balance of mobility v's aggrevation right. Could be a steep learning curve - but I am happy that I have had feedback and I know what the problem is so I can at least start to deal with it.

Evening - GYM
Another workout to see what I could get away with doing and what I couldn't..

After a 10 min run for warm-up I had a play with the weights and managed to do a bit of light close grip bench press - was a bit sore but not too bad.

CGBP:
20 kg: 8, 8
25 kg: 8, 8
30 kg: 3
35 kg: 2, 2, 2
25 kg: 8

Also did various light row movements (2 different seated rows and dumbells to see which was least painful) and some core work.

At least the shoulder is on the mend. I'm a bit gutted because I was due to hike a bike up a big mountain in the lakes this weekend but I know it will be just too much for my shoulder so I have had to cancel. Unhappy However, being injured has made me realise how much importance being strong is to me so it's been a good thing in a way Happy
MattGriffIcon...08-05-2008 @ 14:33 
Member 194, 3976 posts
littlegirlbunny said:

Don't agree about the moutainbiking thing though - proper rough hardcore stuff that is Wink

Anyone else curious as to the type of seat being used?
littlegirlbunnyIcon...13-05-2008 @ 14:09 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Alot going on CV and cycling-wise here...still not too much lifting, but the shoulder is improving slowly.

Last leg session

Warm-up then:
Front squats - lots of warm ups with no weight and the bar then built up to 5 triples with 42.5 kg. Nice and easy. Will probably be able to front squat more than I can back squat soon Embarassed

Leg press - lots of warm up sets again then working sets at
115 kg for 5x5

Some rows, hyperextensions and abs

Yesterday's CG bench session
Warm-up CV then
20 kg: 8, 8,
25 kg: 8
30 kg: 5
35 kg: 5x5 - much easier than the last session - still a bit painful on the shoulder but the strength is coming back

Some lat and ab work

Having lots of fun lifting at the moment - guess it's nice not feeling like I *should* be doing the big three lifts - because I physically cant anyway. However, I may try deads at the next session and see how they feel now Cool
mishimaIcon...13-05-2008 @ 16:18 
pink french superstar beard
Member 26, 4030 posts
SQ 190, BP 0, DL 205
395.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Nice move on the fronties!
Last year i was into a "front squat only" mood, no back squat for months. To my surprise when i got back at it, the back squat had stayed where it was. I was absolutely convinced it would have gotten much worse than when i left it but it didnt.
littlegirlbunnyIcon...15-05-2008 @ 08:02 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
Managed to get to the gym on Tuesday evening and have an attempt at deads. It was a success - praise be to jebus I can deadlift again. Now my life is complete Grin

First session after however many weeks out was pretty good too - 80 kg was flying in the warm ups whereas normally I am making a right meal out of it. Only thing that really started to let me down on the working sets was the grip - but it will come back quick so i'm not worried. Doesn't help that the bars in the gym are so bent they have a tendancy to roll out of small hands very easily if they are not set up well at the start!

Warm up run - 15 mins

Deads - bar 2 sets of 10 then 60 kg: 5, 5 (felt ok on shoulder - bit twingy at the start and end of the lift, but otherwise ok)
80 kg: 5, 5 (unbelted - good fast reps)
100 kg: 3, 3, 3

Deads - speedwork off plates on advice of Dave. He showed me how to prime my hamstrings for the lift and it seemed to really make a difference to the speed of the second set.
60 kg: 5, 5

Front squat practice with bar - lots of reps

mishima said:
Nice move on the fronties!
Last year i was into a "front squat only" mood, no back squat for months. To my surprise when i got back at it, the back squat had stayed where it was. I was absolutely convinced it would have gotten much worse than when i left it but it didnt.

Good stuff Grin TBH, now I can deadlift I'm not too bothered about when I restart back squats - front squats are so much more fun!! I think they (in association with leg press) have been the reason I have not lost too much from where I was on deads before the injury.

12345678910 ... ... 2223242526272829303132

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions