You are here: HomeForumCompetitionsWSM results

WSM results

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 7172737475767778798081

Wayne_CowdreyIcon...24-09-2011 @ 23:09 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22073 posts
It's quite obvious why a yoke needs to be adjusted Confused

The argument that yokes are adjusted so stone platform heights etc should be is ridiculous.
JayMcLaughlinIcon...24-09-2011 @ 23:21 
Member 766, 113 posts
While I'm on a roll ... lol

I don't buy the argument that partial deadlifts favour the shorter athlete.
A regular deadlift bar is approx 9" from the ground to the center of the bar.
It's generally recognised that taller athletes are not disadvantaged in regular deadlift, as long as they're proportionally developed(same for any height athlete).

So when the bar is raised 9" to 18", it is raised the same for all.
We all benefit the same from a reduced range of movement over the standard height.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...24-09-2011 @ 23:30 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22073 posts
JayMcLaughlin said:
While I'm on a roll ... lol

I don't buy the argument that partial deadlifts favour the shorter athlete.
A regular deadlift bar is approx 9" from the ground to the center of the bar.
It's generally recognised that taller athletes are not disadvantaged in regular deadlift, as long as they're proportionally developed(same for any height athlete).

So when the bar is raised 9" to 18", it is raised the same for all.
We all benefit the same from a reduced range of movement over the standard height.

When you're ultra short it does give you an advantage!

I did a 400 silver dollar dead lift in a comp last weekend - after many many months of no dead/squat training! I'm CRAP off the floor!
JayMcLaughlinIcon...25-09-2011 @ 00:42 
Member 766, 113 posts
Post Edited: 25.09.2011 @ 00:45 AM by JayMcLaughlin
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
When you're ultra short it does give you an advantage!

I would not rule out the possibility that on an ultra short person the phenomenon of the bar starting above the knee joint gives them an advantage, over and above the benefit all athletes get from the 9" reductions in range of movement.

And for the other 99% who start, at or below the knee joint they would have little or no advantage.

Well done on the lift, 400kg is still a huge weight regardless.
RodgerIcon...25-09-2011 @ 01:37 
salad dodger *missing*
Member 1805, 10367 posts
SQ 215, BP 121, DL 240
576.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Just wanted to say what an amazing job Terry and Loz did in the final.
Cant wait to see it on Tv at Christamas.
Also to Jack, Rob and Mark.
I know he's not on sugden but well done to Brian Happy The autograhed flyer he did for my fiance on Expo must have brought him luck!
StetecIcon...25-09-2011 @ 09:19 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Just to add a little further, saying that deads and over heads should be adjusted is ridiculous. Everyone can reach over their own heads to lock out and everyone can reach down to the floor (or deadlift height) to pull the weight off the floor regardless of height. Not everyone can reach the height of the stones platforms. The majority of tall dudes are lifting a stone to chest height, some shorter guys are having to overhead press the same stone and still can't get it on the higher platforms effectively making at as though they are competing in a different event altogether. They need to have a fighting chance of placing in that event as it can make or break their placings in the competition. If in lets say an axle press, the tall guys were told they had to lock out overhead but the shorter guys only had to get it to chest, you'd sharp hear them complain then with the shoe on the other foot.
JFLIcon...25-09-2011 @ 09:20 
Englands strongest man 2011
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
PaulSavage said:
Easily pressed if your a strong strict presser, not otherwise. First time i did stones in competition i was almost knocked unconscious by a 100kg stone landing on my head, i was one of the tallest competitors that day / it was the same height platforms at worlds. I lifted the 100kg stone to my shoulder several times and after the contest almost loaded all 4 remaining stones with zero technique. I think the platforms are too tall. Not only is it dangerous, but i find it entirely pointless. To me it makes much more sense to keep the platforms the same height but increase the weight of the stones.
Just my opinion.

We are talking about people at WSM level a 120kg stone press should be easily accomplished and the whole sport is dangerous what happens when you pass out under a log or fall backwards with a barrel loading competition or even mouse trapped when squatting. Its called strongest man for a reason if we start worrying about health and safety we are going to ruin the sport. Yer granted its nice when the events are do-able for everyone but these sort of issues is what seperates the ridiculously strong to the average strongman. But seriously this is a pointless discussion as nothing will change for the reasons i mentioned above.
StetecIcon...25-09-2011 @ 09:23 
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:It's quite obvious why a yoke needs to be adjusted Confused

The argument that yokes are adjusted so stone platform heights etc should be is ridiculous.

Why? I understand that it would be a logistical nightmare having the adjustable equipment and in reality it will never happen, but that doesn't change the fact that a man could be stronger in the other events but because he's short he may as well not compete in a comp with stones to high platforms. Maybe loading the stones in any order would level things a little...
terryhollandsIcon...25-09-2011 @ 15:13 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
lalas was the shortest guy in the final and he put all 5 up. darren always used to load all 5 and if you have good technique you don't need to press the first stone at all if you're not a complete dwarf

with regards to the frame, derek is 6ft 1 you really think it makes that much difference in angle being 4 inches taller like i am?? also the comparison to shaw not being able to fit in it is ridiculous! there is a big difference between not being able to fit to even lift it and the handles being maybe 2 inches further apart than you'd like
BigTIcon...25-09-2011 @ 18:05 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
If your shorter and/or lighter, thats what the U105kg/U90kg categories are for. Stop b**ching about stuff. It isn't going to change, some events suit taller guys, some the shorter guys.

Good grief, this thread should be celebrating how well the Brit boys did and the standard of the athletes overall, not moaning about stuff that ain't going to change, nor should it.

Next some idiot will say that if you have smaller hands you should be allowed to try smaller handles instead of the set ones. Shut up and train harder.
Craig_PfistererIcon...25-09-2011 @ 18:18 
Sugdens 'man' at WSM 2021
Member 1513, 2139 posts
SQ 224.5, BP 181, DL 276.5
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
BigT said:Next some idiot will say that if you have smaller hands you should be allowed to try smaller handles instead of the set ones.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lvZgIr0fTKU/TMjgzc0Wl3I/AAAAAAAAAA0/...
"But I got these burger hands..."
PaulSavageIcon...25-09-2011 @ 18:22 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
JFL said:
We are talking about people at WSM level a 120kg stone press should be easily accomplished and the whole sport is dangerous what happens when you pass out under a log or fall backwards with a barrel loading competition or even mouse trapped when squatting. Its called strongest man for a reason if we start worrying about health and safety we are going to ruin the sport. Yer granted its nice when the events are do-able for everyone but these sort of issues is what seperates the ridiculously strong to the average strongman. But seriously this is a pointless discussion as nothing will change for the reasons i mentioned above.

I fully understand the sport is dangerous, but even pressing a log or a block overhead is far safer than a round atlas stone, hence why they have came down on people heads many times (a 120kg stone is enough to potentially crack someones skull ragardless of how strong they are). It probably is a pointless discussion but this is one thing i feel should change. I don't care about whats hard for me or anybody else as for being tall or short, and some of the points made in this thread are pretty crazy, but i would like to see heavier stones lifted and more strength come into it. It's strongman, not stunt man.
seankamoIcon...25-09-2011 @ 18:47 
invite only !
Member 1159, 760 posts
any vids?
JFLIcon...25-09-2011 @ 18:50 
Englands strongest man 2011
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
BigT said:If your shorter and/or lighter, thats what the U105kg/U90kg categories are for. Stop b**ching about stuff. It isn't going to change, some events suit taller guys, some the shorter guys.

Good grief, this thread should be celebrating how well the Brit boys did and the standard of the athletes overall, not moaning about stuff that ain't going to change, nor should it.

Next some idiot will say that if you have smaller hands you should be allowed to try smaller handles instead of the set ones. Shut up and train harder.

Couldn't agree more!!!!!
JayMcLaughlinIcon...25-09-2011 @ 18:58 
Member 766, 113 posts
BigT said: It isn't going to change

Didn't they change the dimensions of the barrels in the keg toss?

They realised the taller guys had an unfair advantage as they could stand the barrels up and swing them through their legs (ooh er Happy)

The more compact barrels used today were deemed a better test of dynamic strength for all athletes.

12345678910 ... ... 7172737475767778798081

You are here: HomeForumCompetitionsWSM results
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions