Who's Online - 1 member and 189 guests

Low Back pain/pumps

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

DanIconLow Back pain/pumps05-01-2010 @ 18:01 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
I get pretty bad pains in my low back, mostly when walking, which is a nuisance as I have two Dogs. After 10 minutes walking I practically grind to a halt with my low back throbbing.
I'm wondering if there is an obvious cause to this, am I doing something wrong or is it just something I have to put up with, or is it something that will pass as my back gets stronger ?
I'm doing 5x5 Squats and 5x5 Deadlifts, and these two exercises aggravate it worst.
Am I doing too much volume ?
Am I lifting wrong ( videos in my journal, Dans Cabin Log ).
Should I wear a belt for training - I never have done.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Oh yeah, and my cock still smells of fish...
Thanks lads.
BenMacIcon...05-01-2010 @ 18:40 
'Looks like Ben Affleck according to Pagan'
Member 876, 2506 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 260
620.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
You on any "supplements" at the moment mate?
WesIcon...05-01-2010 @ 18:50 
31.6 and Obese !! Get in....
Member 869, 1355 posts
SQ 320, BP 200, DL 310
830.0 kgs @ 97.5kgs Eq
I have had similar problems, and still do to a certain extent. I decided to decrease the volume a little (I was doing 5x5 Deads and Squats every week). I've now dropped to 3x3 for both and increased the weight a tad, alternating Heavy Deads and Speed deads weekly so I'm only Heavy deadlifting every fortnight. (Still heavy Squats every week)
It was becoming a bit of an issue as I was in real discomfort at home with a throbbing dull ache in the lower back (not an injury type of pain if you know what I mean !!)
Our lass thought I was having her on as I struggled most to do the washing up (stood at the sink f**king crippled me) and doing the ironing also, I wouldn't even try and make s**t like that up !!
It wouldnt be uncommon to find me changing the arse of my youngest, laid down side on to her, swapping a nappy single handed as it hurt that much !!

Anyway I found that changing my routine a little by reducing the volume, and stretching my lower back a bit more has helped...

Also, and I am by no means an expert.... do you not set the weight down on the ground when deadlifting ? I watched your vid and it appears you leave it shy of the ground which might not help.
FatpeteIcon...05-01-2010 @ 18:54 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17884 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
I have had this in the past and it is usually accompanied by an increase in bodyweight. If your BW levels out you will get used to the extra weight and it will pass. Now that you have finished digging that hole you may be packing a bit on. All part of the fun of being a fatlad.Grin
DanIcon...05-01-2010 @ 19:27 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
BenMac said:You on any "supplements" at the moment mate?

Whey Protein and Chicken Biryani Tongue
Do they count ?
DanIcon...05-01-2010 @ 19:30 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Wes said:I have had similar problems, and still do to a certain extent. I decided to decrease the volume a little (I was doing 5x5 Deads and Squats every week). I've now dropped to 3x3 for both and increased the weight a tad, alternating Heavy Deads and Speed deads weekly so I'm only Heavy deadlifting every fortnight. (Still heavy Squats every week)
It was becoming a bit of an issue as I was in real discomfort at home with a throbbing dull ache in the lower back (not an injury type of pain if you know what I mean !!)
Our lass thought I was having her on as I struggled most to do the washing up (stood at the sink f**king crippled me) and doing the ironing also, I wouldn't even try and make s**t like that up !!
It wouldnt be uncommon to find me changing the arse of my youngest, laid down side on to her, swapping a nappy single handed as it hurt that much !!

Anyway I found that changing my routine a little by reducing the volume, and stretching my lower back a bit more has helped...

Also, and I am by no means an expert.... do you not set the weight down on the ground when deadlifting ? I watched your vid and it appears you leave it shy of the ground which might not help.

That sounds like the same thing, not an injury pain, a dull muscular ache in the low back. It's not an issue sat still, or even stood still, but kicks off big time when I walk the dogs.

Yes I do touch the floor doing deads, just touch mind, not paused at the bottom, must have been the camera angle.

Thanks for you comments, much appreciated.
DanIcon...05-01-2010 @ 19:32 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Fatpete said:I have had this in the past and it is usually accompanied by an increase in bodyweight. If your BW levels out you will get used to the extra weight and it will pass. Now that you have finished digging that hole you may be packing a bit on. All part of the fun of being a fatlad.Grin

Looking back at my old journal I have found that I have been through this before. And yes, it does seem to accompany bodyweight increase, and an increase in the weights I'm lifting.

I'm reluctant to drop the reps right now as my training is coming along nicely so I will put up with it for now and hope it passes.

Thanks Pete.
RickIcon...05-01-2010 @ 19:41 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
I have had this too from time to time - and yes, it makes washing up completely impossible and walking distances difficult.

For me the trigger seems to be squatting/pulling heavy (for me Wink) more than once a week.
DanIcon...05-01-2010 @ 20:04 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Thanks Rick.
At least now I know it's not caused by poor lifting form or something I'm doing wrong.
I guess I'll have to put up with it and hopefully it will ease as my back gets stronger.
BenMacIcon...05-01-2010 @ 20:18 
'Looks like Ben Affleck according to Pagan'
Member 876, 2506 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 260
620.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Dan said:
Whey Protein and Chicken Biryani Tongue
Do they count ?

Haha possibly, not sure if they are known to cause back pumps tho!
nathanIcon...05-01-2010 @ 21:05 
no longer sugdens strongest man
Member 455, 1336 posts
take some asprin itll thin the blood so it dont get pumped as much
DanIcon...05-01-2010 @ 21:12 
Dan is old fashioned.
Member 27, 2028 posts
SQ 240, BP 170, DL 255
665.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
nathan said:take some asprin itll thin the blood so it dont get pumped as much

Not a bad idea, cheers Nathan, will try that.
jamieaIcon...05-01-2010 @ 21:26 
has perfected the anvil roll
Member 353, 3292 posts
SQ 230, BP 160, DL 275
665.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
mine tyends to really pump/cramp when I go above 5/6 rep sets on anything that uses my lower back aslong as i keep the reps down im ok though, started having a can of redbull before training and feel the taurine in that helps.
brynevansIcon...05-01-2010 @ 22:09 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
nathan said:take some asprin itll thin the blood so it dont get pumped as much

I don't think it actually reduces the viscocity of the blood. When people say blood thinning what they actually mean is anti-coagulant which reduces the bloods ability form clots.
Dan, cycling your weights will give you rest periods of lower intensity training and probably building in some core/ab work into your routine alone with stretching will all help.
nathanIcon...06-01-2010 @ 00:07 
no longer sugdens strongest man
Member 455, 1336 posts
brynevans said:
I don't think it actually reduces the viscocity of the blood. When people say blood thinning what they actually mean is anti-coagulant which reduces the bloods ability form clots.
Dan, cycling your weights will give you rest periods of lower intensity training and probably building in some core/ab work into your routine alone with stretching will all help.

im not a doctor all i know is it helps me back stop pumping up when im walking the dog or washing up

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions