REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 128 guests

Paul Savage training log

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... 613614615 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

PaulSavageIcon...13-05-2019 @ 12:18 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 13.05.2019 @ 12:19 PM by PaulSavage
segou said:This may not be the place for this but man, Becca is having a good comp at Bodypower. Shame the field is so small for the women.

She did good but yeah I don't know if girls just see the size of her and get scared or its just by chance or something but hardly anybody seems to turn up to her comps. It's really annoying as with so few points availible a freak trip or something can cost you the whole comp even though you might really be a level above. There's no points cushion to be made at all. She did almost double the reps on the Viking press of second place but only got an extra point, could probably have done double the next best reps on the deadlift too if she had to but again could only get an extra point etc
LessThanLukeIcon...13-05-2019 @ 12:59 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
She did good but yeah I don't know if girls just see the size of her and get scared or its just by chance or something but hardly anybody seems to turn up to her comps. It's really annoying as with so few points availible a freak trip or something can cost you the whole comp even though you might really be a level above. There's no points cushion to be made at all. She did almost double the reps on the Viking press of second place but only got an extra point, could probably have done double the next best reps on the deadlift too if she had to but again could only get an extra point etc

To be fair the bodypower numbers were s**te across the board in terms of competitors. Can only beat who turns up and Annabelle is strong as f**k so not as if she just beat a novice!
PaulSavageIcon...13-05-2019 @ 13:44 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 13.05.2019 @ 14:39 PM by PaulSavage
Bodypower opens 2019 write up

So the first thing to note is that as a coach this comp was a nightmare because I knew that outside of the pros (which arnt allowed to do these comps) there's nobody that's really going to be on becca's level in terms of ability. However, as experienced at her last outing (Europe's strongest woman) that means exactly f**k all if you mess up the techniques. Why this was a nightmare was because only 1 of the 5 events was what was advertised. The Viking press was confirmed as semi pronated grip but was log grip on the day (so a lot more about triceps), the yoke was changed to a drop and turn from one straight run, the deadlift was changed from a table top deadlift (sumo with a short bar on a belt squat) to a silver dollar conventional deadlift but from standard height, and the medley was supposed to be sand bags and kegs but it was zercher carry into kegs and upto a much heavier keg than expected with 15m runs. In essence, it was going to be a bit of a crap shoot as to if she makes mistakes as again half the stuff she's never done before. My thoughts on the day were still the same though, she's just going to be too damn strong for it to matter (I was right).

As for me I knew with how this comp was setup e.g all or nothing, that the guys would be going in to win much like it was for Arnold Europe when Becca was going for her pro card. My thoughts were there wouldn't be anyone that stood out too much as no pros but there also would be no weak links, everybody would be fairly equal, tight on the events etc That was definitely the case. I also knew that due to the lack of training I was able to do, even if my hip / back had function on the day I was still likely to be behind that level. I'd excepted that and the goal was essentially to get through and finish the comp without seriously injuring myself / making things too much worse.

So me first..

Event 1 - Viking press 180kg x reps

This was the event that I was looking forward to because it would show a true standing of if it's realistic that I can compete at the higher levels in strongman since it was the only thing I'd been able to consistently train in the prep and I'd been very happy with the progress I'd made. Wasn't at all happy that the grip was log grip as that was something I'd neglected and triceps in general due to it being confirmed multiple times to be semi pronated (I find this grip hits much more shoulders). It was supposed to be 150kg but still 180kg felt very light, I could even have strict pressed it for decent reps which is awesome because I used to have no shoulder strength at all. I had decided before the event not to push this as when I do I lean back and this hurts my back issues so as soon as I struggled I put it down (again let's get through the comp in one piece being the plan). Got 11 reps. If I'd trained more endurance that could have been up near 15 but as said we have been in a strength phase so it's whatever.

Event 2 - super yoke 15/15m 380kg

So having basically went 275kg one week then 395kg for few steps the next then deload, my yoke training has not been the greatest haha I knew I was going to struggle with this if it was a legit 380kg. It felt like it was a legit 380kg but still found it easy to pick, I just couldn't walk with it. Every time I tried to put my right foot forward the leg was trying to buckle on me or did buckle on me. I felt my hip on the first pick but it was hurting pre comp so I thought nothing of that, what was bothering me more was that my right shin was absolutely killing me every time I stood a step, I genuinely thought it might snap! Got like half way down the course an then it was just time to give up.

Event 3 - deadlift 300kg x reps

Again changed to more of a wobbly conventional deadlift. Obviously I was dead last on the yoke so up first and was nowhere near recovered as had to do several picks just to get it half way down with my leg buckling practically every step / the turn around was quick. Got strapped in and realised my hip was f**ked as couldn't get anywhere near getting into position, was the same as when I was supposed to pull 270-300kg for a triple as my last heavy pull and couldn't even get 210-240kg past my knees. Had an idea of what was going to happen and yep got it to the knees and it was just stuck there. f**k all I could do and hurt the hip a good bit more trying to force it.

Event 4 - hoist 110kg

I was in pain but wasn't like it was a ton of pain, it was more just an issue of my body not functioning, so I was all for carrying on. I just wanted to get this comp finished. Plan for this was just to use my legs and arms and really I didn't need to lockout so I thought it be fine. It was an felt silly light but tried to take too long an advancement with my grip at the start. I don't know what place I got but I imagine that probably cost me the win. Was an extremely short event.

Event 5 - Medley, 160kg? Zercher carry, 120kg keg, 100kg giant keg, 15m runs

Had to wear belts for my hip and back and find medleys super tough with belts on but it's not like I could have won the comp so just decided to belt up and finish it at a slow pace. Turned out that would have been all that was possible as both shins are this point were super sore so kept it really steady, zercher and 120kg keg were comfy but the 100kg big one was pushing into my belt and making it nigh on impossible to breath so that was much tougher. Finished it and glad that's f**king over with haha

Don't know what place I got but one of the bottom ones with getting last on yoke and deadlift and can't have beat many on the medley with how slow I went, didn't watch the others on that.

So becca's (actually she went first but to end on a better note haha)

Event 1 - Viking press 110kg x reps

So yeah, bar maybe Kristen Rhodes, nobody is beating Becca at Viking press. She did 23 in 40 seconds and walked away with more to spare. Annabelle (who's probably a 110kg log presser) got 12 after her so 1st by a long way, this is just becca's event.

Event 2 - super yoke 15/15m 220kg

Only way I thought she could lose the event is if she messed up the turn around and dropped it off her back. She had only practiced this in one session as was supposed to be a straight run. Luckily that didn't happen and won comfortably, think it was 19 seconds to Annabelle getting 23 but not sure. What was most important to me was the 7 second time to getting to 15m for Becca as that was great considering she's only done a bit of speed training for it. Got it in the wrong position on her shoulders for the return trip so that wasn't as fast but again, she practiced that once. 1st.

Event 3 - deadlift 180kg x reps

Looked super strong on the table top deadlift last session but again, was a completely different deadlift and she's never done a silver dollar type setup. I figured since her core is iron strong and she's 180kg herself the wobble wouldn't bother her. Annabelle did a very solid 10 reps but knew it was simply a case of doing more then calling it. I said If you are unsure of how many you have done do a couple more if it's easy. She ended up doing 13 but prob had like 20 haha was one of those like a bag of shopping moments so I was definitely happy about that, we have been working hard to get the brute strength up and Annabelle is a beast, best up and comer I've seen since taking note of Strongwoman, no weaknesses at all, but still the strength gap was a lot. 1st.

Event 4 - hoist 75kg

Annabelle seemed to either have practiced this or just got it spot on but she was super quick. Like me Becca took a couple seconds to get the event then finished it easy from there but that had already cost her the win. This event was good in theory but really it was just too short. I think one of the inter guys finished it in 5 seconds haha 2nd.

Event 5 - Medley, 120kg zercher, 80kg keg, 100kg giant keg, 15m runs.

The focus being basically purely on brute strength in recent training and being that this comp was ran extremely fast, Becca was understandable knacked at this point. She had already won but I told her to still do her best to finish the event. She wasn't giving 100% as obviously she didn't need to and everything had gone easy the whole comp until the last couple metres with the big 100kg keg. She's never had to carry anything that big before so didn't know the lean back technique for balance and dropped the keg forward. Picked it up again and this time it through her forward and she fell on top of it. Flipped it over to finish but lost the event with these drops and falls. Still was a very positive result as not many girls would even finish that medley (again Annabelle was a legit beast) and not only did she pick up the 100kg keg like it was nothing but barring not knowing the technique on it would have actually won the event without really having any fitness at the moment. Was most happy about this event. 2nd.

1st overall and now an sbd sponsored athlete.

Great learning experience all around for both of us. Next up Wales strongest woman on Sunday.
PaulSavageIcon...13-05-2019 @ 13:49 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Becca's bodypower

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxXF324AAf2/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&...

My Viking

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxXIv0eAw9Q/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&...

My hoist

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxXLDenAsJB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&...
AdamTIcon...13-05-2019 @ 13:52 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
Nice write up and Becca is doing brilliantly.

Fair play to yourself giving it a good go.

you can work on your weaknesses and have a better go at your next comp, as you're still young enough.

Well done!
PaulSavageIcon...13-05-2019 @ 14:07 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 13.05.2019 @ 14:14 PM by PaulSavage
LessThanLuke said:
To be fair the bodypower numbers were s**te across the board in terms of competitors. Can only beat who turns up and Annabelle is strong as f**k so not as if she just beat a novice!

She's a beast and no weaknesses at all it seems but I thought she is actually a novice?? (as in new to the sport) I hadn't even heard of her until a couple weeks before the comp, seen some videos of her and I was like oh s**t maybe should have had Becca train more for this haha She was even better than I realised too. Bags of potential.
PaulSavageIcon...13-05-2019 @ 14:12 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
AdamT said:Nice write up and Becca is doing brilliantly.

Fair play to yourself giving it a good go.

you can work on your weaknesses and have a better go at your next comp, as you're still young enough.

Well done!

Was definitely happy with her performance for where she's at, she did great and only made one mistake just simply because she's never carried a keg or anything of that size so can't fault the performance.

Got another comp in around 3-3.5 months with 10 brutal events in it and really want to get this hip issue sorted and win that. Just need to get several week of consistency training together an not have injury issues like this and I'll have a decent shot.
LessThanLukeIcon...13-05-2019 @ 14:23 
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 13.05.2019 @ 14:23 PM by LessThanLuke
PaulSavage said:
She's a beast and no weaknesses at all it seems but I thought she is actually a novice?? (as in new to the sport) I hadn't even heard of her until a couple weeks before the comp, seen some videos of her and I was like oh s**t maybe should have had Becca train more for this haha She was even better than I realised too. Bags of potential.

Oh yeah in terms of experience she's a novice (she's done like 3 or 4 comps now) but I mean in strength terms she's very strong.
PaulSavageIcon...13-05-2019 @ 14:41 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
LessThanLuke said:
Oh yeah in terms of experience she's a novice (she's done like 3 or 4 comps now) but I mean in strength terms she's very strong.

Right yeah, bright future.
AdamTIcon...13-05-2019 @ 20:01 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
PaulSavage said:
Was definitely happy with her performance for where she's at, she did great and only made one mistake just simply because she's never carried a keg or anything of that size so can't fault the performance.
Got another comp in around 3-3.5 months with 10 brutal events in it and really want to get this hip issue sorted and win that. Just need to get several week of consistency training together an not have injury issues like this and I'll have a decent shot.

Good attitude

Keep improving and competing
RebeccaRobertsIcon...13-05-2019 @ 20:08 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
segou said:This may not be the place for this but man, Becca is having a good comp at Bodypower. Shame the field is so small for the women.

Thanks! It was a tough one being run so quickly but i enjoyed it and learnt a lot Happy. By no means 100% comp ready because the focus will be to peak for the bigger comps! Happy (but thats where pauls coaching comes into play haha)
RebeccaRobertsIcon...13-05-2019 @ 20:10 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
LessThanLuke said:

She is! Pauls really improved my static strength, just need to keep that up and dial in fitness now Happy hopefully ill be peaked and properly comp ready for europes! Happy
RebeccaRobertsIcon...13-05-2019 @ 20:11 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
AdamT said:Nice write up and Becca is doing brilliantly.
/quote]

Thank you Happy im getting there!
LessThanLukeIcon...14-05-2019 @ 03:53 
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
RebeccaRoberts said:
She is! Pauls really improved my static strength, just need to keep that up and dial in fitness now Happy hopefully ill be peaked and properly comp ready for europes! Happy

Hopefully Europe's has a bigger turn out. Annabelle will be there!
RebeccaRobertsIcon...14-05-2019 @ 07:50 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
LessThanLuke said:
Hopefully Europe's has a bigger turn out. Annabelle will be there!

It should do hopefully, its at a better time this year, last year was wayyyy too close to worlds. Thats awesome, she will deffo do well!

12345678910 ... 613614615 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions