Paul Savage training log

Users viewing topic: & 5 Guests

12345678910 ... 614615616 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

PaulSavageIcon...20-05-2019 @ 13:19 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 20.05.2019 @ 13:29 PM by PaulSavage
Wales Strongest Woman 2019 write up

Event 1 - 180kg 18" deadlift x 60 seconds

Obviously doesn't favour Becca being so tall but knowing this but was made as a staple of the first off season strength cycle getting upto 230kg x 4 on a stiff bar and reps were flying up really easy, just started to gas out around 12 reps. Did 4 more all easy but wasn't sure it would be enough with Welsh powerlifting champion going up next as was starting at the knees for her and was a deadlift bar so above knee lifting. Was enough so no worries. 1st place.

Event 2 - floor to overhead 60kg x 60 seconds

She had an idea of doing 10 before and did that then called it, think next best was only 6 but obviously this is light for her, she strict pressed the last one no problem. 1st place.

Event 3 - 75kg farmers 10/10m turn

These were the longest farmers I've ever seen and really awkward. Said to play it a bit safe. Finished it in about 9 seconds. 1st place.

Event 4 - Arm over arm 145kg 10m

A lot were struggling with this with the thick rope and being in the grass, Becca was not one of them, finished it easy in short order.

Event 5 - 140kg squat x 60 seconds

So they said before the event parallel was all that was needed and I'd seen a lot of questionable reps been given, including the competitor before Becca but I figured it's strongman and they never really make you go deep. Well that sure as f**k changed on Becca's go! Literally she was doing ipf depth squats and pausing in the bottom at her absolute full range depth, getting super late up commands (don't know why they were giving up commands) so had to do them paused too an then on 5th rep (to tie winning the event) she's basically sat on the floor several inches below parallel and he's still not giving an up command and instead gives a no rep. Both me and Becca are confused to all hell at what's going on, she comes up after a 3-5 count pause and he goes no rep again. This was the deepest squat of them all and in by a mile, paused for ages etc no idea what he was looking, just really weird. She does another so in reality 6 extremely good reps and then times up since the up commands were so insanely slow and she had to go atg each rep. Still don't know what the heck the issue was as nobody else had to do this and it pissed me off to be honest as she could have really hurt herself over stretching like that, especially at the end of the comp. That said, happy with her squat strength, this is very much a starting point on squats for her going into the next prep and this was just with very loose soft wraps and loose sleeves. 1st place.

Overall - 1st place

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxp5tiTA6oU/?igshid=y8fi4hhiliqm

Training for Europe's Strongest Woman starts today.
slimsimIcon...20-05-2019 @ 14:46 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
I think that basically equates to "pissed it!"

Well done to Becca. Looks like she was streets ahead of the competition.
NimbleIcon...20-05-2019 @ 15:49 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Watched those squats. Very strange judging. Really long pauses and all looked in by a mile. Why were they judging depth form behind? Bizarre. Well done Becca...! Are the top ladies competing at Europe’s?
PaulSavageIcon...20-05-2019 @ 19:38 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 20.05.2019 @ 20:00 PM by PaulSavage
Nimble said:Watched those squats. Very strange judging. Really long pauses and all looked in by a mile. Why were they judging depth form behind? Bizarre. Well done Becca...! Are the top ladies competing at Europe’s?

The thing was the others were not made to go anywhere near that kind depth, plenty of reps that most would say were high were given and i don't recall of anyone having to do pause squats either. Both me and Becca were really confused by the whole thing, I don't think he would have given that 5th rep no matter what he seen. Just very odd. It was the front judge that was giving the super late up commands, the rear judge was signally to him but he just seemed to start ignoring him.

I know Adriana will be defending her title, don't know who else will show up. The events massively favour Adriana. Only 4 events and all very good events for her. Not much strength involved in it, seems strongwoman is almost merging into crossfit these days. Can't recall of a max event all last year, seems to be the same this year and everything always seems to be too light.
PaulSavageIcon...25-05-2019 @ 19:17 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 25.05.2019 @ 19:29 PM by PaulSavage
Seen a post on Donna Moore's Instagram as to why things have been kept light with no maxes on the women's side. The thoughts on that were that it's because they are wanting women to 'stay sexy' so not being treated like strength athletes and being allowed to do the same stuff as the men. That would make sense so I really hope it's not the case. Pretty sure there was a max deadlift and max log at Arnold south Africa recently though so maybe things are changing.

As for Europe's it's looking like it's going to be a no go for Becca and instead doing Britain's the week after. She had only originally done wales because she wanted her dad to see her compete and because she's proud to be Welsh but Britain's is looking like a great comp and I'm sick of there being hardly anyone turn up at Becca's comps. She needs to compete at a comp with high numbers and lots of points availible to get some experience for worlds so think Britain's is better all around. That said, they haven't announced the official events yet so still doing the qualifiers. Not pushed the qualifying numbers at all as will qualify anyway.

Here's her 115kg farmers from last night. Kept it medium pace as she's still battered from those ridiculous squats she had to do at wales but still sub 10 secs to 20m.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx45A2GA1f7/?igshid=14ngpeukgxdpe

An here's couple overhead clips of me

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx4y25WgR2q/?igshid=edy7nkxtqd5g

Log, dumbbell and front hold feeling good. Not pushing anything at mo, shins are still sore from the comp. Doing all I can to get them better and also been doing a lot to get my hip better. Definitely seem to be going in the right direction but yeah those 3 events are looking good, arm over arm will be good too so I'm confident in 4 of the 10 events so far.
PaulSavageIcon...01-06-2019 @ 11:41 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 01.06.2019 @ 11:43 AM by PaulSavage
Other than Adriana standard at Europe's looks to be pretty poor (Becca qualified in 1st and to be honest she did bare minimum) and Britain's has much better events with a lot of good competitors so Becca will be doing Britain's instead. Shes still banged up from the last two comps and has a 10 event comp 4 days after Britain's so no way she could do europes as well.

Britain's events are..

- Max log
- Cerberus bag toss to 15kg
- 200kg frame carry 15/15m
- 95kg keg carry for distance
- 200kg deadlift x reps
- Atlas stones 100-140kg

Bag toss is light since pretty much everyone managed that weight at worlds and was nobody really built well for the event but otherwise best set of events I've seen in a good while. Becca hadn't done a 12" log clean & press over 64kg till last week, she's obviously done plenty of farmers but frame only a couple times, never done any throwing, never done any carry for distance other than conans, and never done a stone series or any heavy stones, so lots of practice needed but not so bad events overall. Don't know if Andrea will be doing it but assuming she does vs Becca on those events I think it's pretty even as long as Becca can get the techniques down. Obviously Andrea is a more experienced competitior and has done everything before so can has that advantage (can focus more on strength in the prep). Is a lot of events I can think of where Becca would have an edge like truck pulls, arm over arm, fingals fingers, tyre flip, carry & drag, any grip event etc Could add throwing to that but Andrea was very quick to that weight bag at worlds so not sure it will be about throwing power rather than who's faster between. So far she's done log to 90kg, didn't get the clean technique right, has trouble sitting down so not getting under the log and not timing it right on the press either, basically strict pressed that but hopefully the technique comes and will be attempting to get her to learn to jerk. She starts her proper prep next week.

As for me, did 115kg log for 3 just raw, was easy, still getting pain in my right shin, pretty sure I broke bits of the bone off doing that yoke at Bodypower. Decided to switch my deadlifts to stiff legs to build up more hamstring and lower back strength then train quads separately as not feeling like I'm getting anything out of legs right now on deads, just feels like I can't for the life of me get in position to pull. Hip has gone from bad half the time and out all the time to out a bit of the time so a lot better, back going out less but still an issue. Training abs/core everytime in the gym, doing plenty of stretching and Russian twists seem to be helping loosen me up. Still not been able to do any moving events at this point, hopefully start light next week
LessThanLukeIcon...01-06-2019 @ 22:22 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Top five girls at England were all good so I think Brits is the right call in terms of a better competition!
PaulSavageIcon...02-06-2019 @ 20:58 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 02.06.2019 @ 21:01 PM by PaulSavage
LessThanLuke said:Top five girls at England were all good so I think Brits is the right call in terms of a better competition!

Yeah for sure, outside of England too. Should be an awesome comp.
unit94Icon...02-06-2019 @ 23:11 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
I think that's definitely the right choice for Brits, good to see
PaulSavageIcon...14-06-2019 @ 12:10 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
unit94 said:I think that's definitely the right choice for Brits, good to see

Yeah for sure, be her biggest win if she gets it (in strongwoman anyway)
PaulSavageIcon...14-06-2019 @ 12:18 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 14.06.2019 @ 12:22 PM by PaulSavage
https://www.instagram.com/p/BylYgy-gVGi/?igshid=ntiw2feth59i

Becca hitting a 100kg log triple push press out the rack. Originally I was going to have her learn to jerk but looks like at least 107.5kg x 3 push press is possible already as this was obviously miss timed and still learning technique so should be able to do something decent with push press (obviously have to be able to clean it too). I don't know about Brits, hard to say what she can do by then but definitely feel she can go over the world record this year (122kg).
PaulSavageIcon...15-06-2019 @ 13:23 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByunmWNg0Rn/?igshid=1j9hsfzqbjkl5

So 105kg clean on the log, missed 2nd rep as she pulled too hard back into herself and lost balance but was there with correct technique and was after two other sets of doubles and three other sets of triples so log looking decent. First time really back on stones as last time was a no go, goal was to get the big 130kg up to shortest platform but more importantly get her sitting down with the stone on the lap as I knew it would be easy as soon as she started doing that. Failed it several times before understanding the techniques better and then it started going up easy enough just a bit of trouble getting it to the lap due to the size of the stone, plus she was a bit smashed at that point. Still not sitting back/down enough but good improvements for one session.

As for me I'm leaving this comp as shins are definitely fractured and my back is still playing up. I basically can't do any moving events or deadlifting so what's the point. Need to heal up and find a different comp when that happens.
PaulSavageIcon...22-06-2019 @ 12:05 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 22.06.2019 @ 13:50 PM by PaulSavage
220kg total x 5 deadlift - https://www.instagram.com/p/By59iWYgR6x/?igshid=x9nmh1yvkjka

Stone run to 130kg - https://www.instagram.com/p/BzAV_KCAX35/?igshid=ywmzzracjfsc

Plan is 240kg total (210-240kg) x 5 before Britain's. I suspect 90, 110, 130, 150kg will go in a decent time before Britain's as the technique was poor here and stones had loads of crap on them from comp use the other day. Didn't have stone sleeves or a proper belt either.
PaulSavageIcon...22-06-2019 @ 13:53 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 22.06.2019 @ 13:55 PM by PaulSavage
Had a play with grippers just for something to do while coaching Becca as back was pretty f**ked.

Coc #4 credit card attempt - https://www.instagram.com/p/BzAYe8bgbYI/?igshid=1wqgy3hz21jxv

Coc #3 x 10 credit card reps - https://www.instagram.com/p/BzAbX1Zg8qh/?igshid=165nh627e4ogh
PaulSavageIcon...29-06-2019 @ 12:59 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Becca

Double overhand deadlifts - https://www.instagram.com/p/BzLqxC0gNtz/?igshid=1upkzfu6rdlee

Keg toss & frame carry - https://www.instagram.com/p/BzSnlb6AkR9/?igshid=yspycrem2nf7

Becca is really beat up at this point in the prep but keg toss went well, 3 successful runs of all kegs with pretty good time. A bit slow on the frame but just beat up. Week off everything but pressing now to heal up some then 230kg total x 5 deadlift.

12345678910 ... 614615616 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions