Who's Online - 0 members and 316 guests

Idiotic questions about getting leaner!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

ben66Icon...01-03-2018 @ 10:26 
Why get fat to look big?
Member 1330, 4797 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 305
805.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
At 7% or less, a paper cut would kill me, and it's not a pleasant place to stay! 10% is fairly easy to maintain, and where I currently hover around, though I've never actually had my BF measured.
AdamTIcon...01-03-2018 @ 10:32 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
ben66 said:At 7% or less, a paper cut would kill me, and it's not a pleasant place to stay! 10% is fairly easy to maintain, and where I currently hover around, though I've never actually had my BF measured.

You kept gaining strength while being lean? Is that correct?
JackRevansIcon...01-03-2018 @ 11:03 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
ben66 said:At 7% or less, a paper cut would kill me, and it's not a pleasant place to stay! 10% is fairly easy to maintain, and where I currently hover around, though I've never actually had my BF measured.

mirin
ben66Icon...01-03-2018 @ 11:16 
Why get fat to look big?
Member 1330, 4797 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 305
805.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 01.03.2018 @ 11:18 AM by ben66
AdamT said:
You kept gaining strength while being lean? Is that correct?

I can, just watch my waist size. I'll push with food and fill out a bit, but it doesn't take long to cut back when I need to- I'm constantly trying to grow, but try to make gains as lean as possible nowadays. Previously I'd gotten fat, thinking I was 'big', but realised I can have the same strength level much leaner. I actually PB'd in most lifts last year being bigger and leaner than I've been.

Lean 240lbs, then 250lbs is the plan Cool
matthewvcIcon...01-03-2018 @ 11:32 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3226 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
danbaseley said:
2) Genetics will determine this. But if you are anadrol'd off your nut, then the puffiness will never leave you.

something to consider when leaning out is effect of water retention gets more pronounced,
just a drop can ruin a great physique at low single figure BF.
add in PEDs and the way they change sodium retention, ADH or estrogen levels - even more trouble.

when you see a dry as a bone bodybuilder (think andreas munzer) on stage you know they've gone through purgatory
to get the water off - high doses of letro, lasix, dehydration, carb+sodium manipulation etc. etc.

very transient state and 1 day later after the post show binge, they look like a water melon.
AdamTIcon...01-03-2018 @ 12:00 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
ben66 said:
I can, just watch my waist size. I'll push with food and fill out a bit, but it doesn't take long to cut back when I need to- I'm constantly trying to grow, but try to make gains as lean as possible nowadays. Previously I'd gotten fat, thinking I was 'big', but realised I can have the same strength level much leaner. I actually PB'd in most lifts last year being bigger and leaner than I've been.
Lean 240lbs, then 250lbs is the plan Cool

Fair play to you.

I think I will have to get lean first and maybe suffer some initial strength loss, then start again.

I'm not really strong anyway, so there is no reason for me to be out of shape. It's just being lazy with the diet.
ben66Icon...01-03-2018 @ 12:20 
Why get fat to look big?
Member 1330, 4797 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 305
805.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
Fair play to you.
I think I will have to get lean first and maybe suffer some initial strength loss, then start again.
I'm not really strong anyway, so there is no reason for me to be out of shape. It's just being lazy with the diet.

If you diet harshly, then you'll loose a little bit of top end strength, but I find this comes back pretty rapidly when calories are added back in. I tend to do shorter, harsh cuts, just to get them done, and any initial losses in strength come back very quickly.
JackRevansIcon...01-03-2018 @ 12:23 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Ben, Id be interested to know the scale of your calorie surplus/deficit, and also the length of time you stay in each.
slimsimIcon...01-03-2018 @ 12:31 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
matthewvc said:
something to consider when leaning out is effect of water retention gets more pronounced,
just a drop can ruin a great physique at low single figure BF.
add in PEDs and the way they change sodium retention, ADH or estrogen levels - even more trouble.
when you see a dry as a bone bodybuilder (think andreas munzer) on stage you know they've gone through purgatory
to get the water off - high doses of letro, lasix, dehydration, carb+sodium manipulation etc. etc.
very transient state and 1 day later after the post show binge, they look like a water melon.

I put 3st on in 7-days following one comp. Nearly all of it water. I was so bloated that I couldn't feel my shin bone. I could press where it should have been and my finger would just sink in the best part of 1/2 in and the skin would stay depressed for a good 20-seconds. Not a healthy place to be! My resting heart rate was around 100-110 for quite a few weeks until the water finally started coming off. NEVER AGAIN!
ben66Icon...01-03-2018 @ 13:00 
Why get fat to look big?
Member 1330, 4797 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 305
805.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 01.03.2018 @ 13:04 PM by ben66
JackRevans said:Ben, Id be interested to know the scale of your calorie surplus/deficit, and also the length of time you stay in each.

I don't count calories too strictly- Protein is always the same regardless of cut/bulk (around 300+g), fats are generally low. I tend to manipulate carbs to gain/lose weight.

I'll go anything for 200-1000 cals over maintenance when trying to grow, using waist size as a guide to fat gains (IMO, it's the simplest and most effective measure)- if my belt gets too tight, I'll drop the carbs back a little until it's comfy again.

For cutting, I'll drop to about half maintenance cals by reducing carbs, and keep it up until I'm happy- usually 3-5 weeks. It begins to get hard around 4 weeks.

It's not super strict, but it works well for me. Training remains heavy through out.

This is me just now, bulking, around 105kg in the morning:
www.instagram.com/p/BfqOQrJDlx7/?hl
www.instagram.com/p/BfTCLXBjXxA/?hl
AdamTIcon...01-03-2018 @ 13:16 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
ben66 said:
I don't count calories too strictly- Protein is always the same regardless of cut/bulk (around 300+g), fats are generally low. I tend to manipulate carbs to gain/lose weight.
I'll go anything for 200-1000 cals over maintenance when trying to grow, using waist size as a guide to fat gains (IMO, it's the simplest and most effective measure)- if my belt gets too tight, I'll drop the carbs back a little until it's comfy again.
For cutting, I'll drop to about half maintenance cals by reducing carbs, and keep it up until I'm happy- usually 3-5 weeks. It begins to get hard around 4 weeks.
It's not super strict, but it works well for me. Training remains heavy through out.

Beast!

I have guys in my gym that have big size, but they don't have the hard dense look you have. Though things like squats, dead's and even pull ups are foreign to them!
JackRevansIcon...01-03-2018 @ 14:17 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
ben66 said:

interesting!

300g protein is very high. Roughly how many g of fat do you have per day? also what is the highest/lowest your carbs will go?
ben66Icon...01-03-2018 @ 14:56 
Why get fat to look big?
Member 1330, 4797 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 305
805.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
Beast!
I have guys in my gym that have big size, but they don't have the hard dense look you have. Though things like squats, dead's and even pull ups are foreign to them!

Thanks, I'm no beast yet though, lots to do first..... I try not to get fat, or watery, plus lift fairly heavy, so it slowly adds up.

JackRevans said:
interesting!
300g protein is very high. Roughly how many g of fat do you have per day? also what is the highest/lowest your carbs will go?

Protein stays around the same, I could probably take it down somewhat, but it seems to be ok as it is- plus id have to make up the cal difference with something else anyway. Fat is usually 50-60g or less.

If I push hard on a cut, carbs can drop down to zero for a few days, and i'll basically run on protein/fat. However, if I run them consistently less than 50g for more than 5-6 days, I have a big refeed, pushing to get close to 1000+g.

Generally carbs sit around 5-600g a day depending on how greedy I am.

It works well for me.
HamIcon...02-03-2018 @ 10:08 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
Body fat distribution is a weird one. Chap I work with measures 17% on the same scales i measured 8% on...he has a clearly visible 6 pack but a fat back. I have no 6 pack visible but my back is super lean.

Jack is right that hunger must be embraced, lots of water drunk and coffee is my saviour when dieting down.

I've not trained anyone over the years that has lost meaningful weight without hunger being front and centre at times. Pangs get less intrusive and can be useful.
dannyboy73Icon...02-03-2018 @ 10:18 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
and size...a big (heavy) man will have less body fat when compared to a smaller man if they look in about the same condition.

Ham said:Body fat distribution is a weird one. Chap I work with measures 17% on the same scales i measured 8% on...he has a clearly visible 6 pack but a fat back. I have no 6 pack visible but my back is super lean.

Jack is right that hunger must be embraced, lots of water drunk and coffee is my saviour when dieting down.

I've not trained anyone over the years that has lost meaningful weight without hunger being front and centre at times. Pangs get less intrusive and can be useful.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions