RickIcon...03-10-2016 @ 08:43 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
Without any understanding of the medical issues

That seems to me to be the key phrase. Why on earth are we opining on stuff we know nothing about?

Doping is not about some clear-cut moral code, it's about rules, and this is - by definition! - within the rules.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...03-10-2016 @ 09:03 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
TUE's are generally issued when the Athlete is suffering from a condition for which the only realistic effective treatment is a prohibited substance and for which therapeutic use would not allow them to perform above the level they would be expected to perform at if otherwise healthy.

If you look at the list of things TUE's are issed for they tend to be quality of life issues or immediate medical concerns...so things like Asthma meet both of those criteria - it would be hard to train for a cycle race when struggling to breathe AND Asthma can be immediately fatal.

I think the question in Wiggins case (as for most Athletes) is whether the TUE is medically justifiable - if not it falls outside the Rules and becomes a case of "Organised" Doping.
SteveIcon...03-10-2016 @ 11:23 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Rick said:
That seems to me to be the key phrase. Why on earth are we opining on stuff we know nothing about?
Doping is not about some clear-cut moral code, it's about rules, and this is - by definition! - within the rules.

People frequently discuss things they don't fully understand. In fact with things like Brexit we even get to vote on them and decide the whole future of the country!

What's interesting about Wiggins and TUEs is how many people who you would expect to know and who have experience of these drugs have questioned what and when it was taken.
SteveIcon...03-10-2016 @ 11:28 
Member 255, 3732 posts
ChrisMcCarthy said:TUE's are generally issued when the Athlete is suffering from a condition for which the only realistic effective treatment is a prohibited substance and for which therapeutic use would not allow them to perform above the level they would be expected to perform at if otherwise healthy.

If you look at the list of things TUE's are issed for they tend to be quality of life issues or immediate medical concerns...so things like Asthma meet both of those criteria - it would be hard to train for a cycle race when struggling to breathe AND Asthma can be immediately fatal.

I think the question in Wiggins case (as for most Athletes) is whether the TUE is medically justifiable - if not it falls outside the Rules and becomes a case of "Organised" Doping.

But training or competing hard will almost certainly make you unhealthy if you do too much. TUEs in these circumstances may well be within the letter of the law, but are they really within the spirit?
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...03-10-2016 @ 12:10 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Steve,

I quite agree...and so this is another grey (or at least murky) area that has to exist under the current Anti-Doping process. Unhappy
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...03-10-2016 @ 12:15 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Steve said:
What's interesting about Wiggins and TUEs is how many people who you would expect to know and who have experience of these drugs have questioned what and when it was taken.

And, perhaps more "damningly", who was part of the Team that was involved in gaining it.
RickIcon...03-10-2016 @ 15:44 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
People frequently discuss things they don't fully understand. In fact with things like Brexit we even get to vote on them and decide the whole future of the country!

I think this example does little to detract from my assertion that we shouldn't have been...
little_aIcon...03-10-2016 @ 16:25 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
On a quite honest yet negative strand to this fine thread, I have to say that I haven't been on my bike for what seems like ages.

Also, tomorrow is TUEsday.
little_aIconJust checked -03-10-2016 @ 16:29 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Last 4 Weeks
Avg Rides / Week 0
Avg Distance / Week 0 mi
Avg Time / Week 0h 0m

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/sad-child-gets-accident-his-bike-little-boy-wearing-helmet-crying-holding-knee-57973559.jpg
BoarIcon...03-10-2016 @ 17:46 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25558 posts
Administrator
you wont be getting grazed knees if you were using zwift !!

just remember, you have our spring return to great dun fell to think about !!

If wiggins only EVER had those injections prior to the 3 grand tours , then it HAS to be dogdy , esp as his condition seems never, ever to have been previously mentioned ....

i'm getting asthma the very same morning I smash great dun fell , run the Manchester marathon and burn steve off during ironmanUK
little_aIcon...03-10-2016 @ 18:51 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Boar said:just remember, you have our spring return to great dun fell to think about !!
Spring return. YES!!! A lot of what I've done this year is back on the list for next year. Doing something right or continuing to do something wrong. Yay.

i'm getting asthma the very same morning I smash great dun fell , run the Manchester marathon and burn steve off during ironmanUK

GDF was forged in the last ice age especially for asthmatic middle aged cyclists.
SteveIcon...03-10-2016 @ 20:41 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Boar said:you wont be getting grazed knees if you were using zwift !!

just remember, you have our spring return to great dun fell to think about !!

If wiggins only EVER had those injections prior to the 3 grand tours , then it HAS to be dogdy , esp as his condition seems never, ever to have been previously mentioned ....

Might need some for Box Hill this week -

Box Hill KOM (ZwiftBlog verified) 7:59
BoarIcon...04-10-2016 @ 10:53 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25558 posts
Administrator
great time steve, I think I saw that race on the diary - I think I need to be within a race to even think about that sort of speed , but I will deffo have a crack , nice !!
CuddlesIcon...04-10-2016 @ 12:53 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Some of us have done the real thing Wink

6:55. But I think I'd be close to 6 if I went at it full gas. It was always a climb that we raced up playing games rather than for fast times.

I used to get out to the Surrey Hills a lot but don't really have the time now. Shame as there are some great little ascents.
SteveIcon...04-10-2016 @ 15:09 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:Some of us have done the real thing Wink

6:55. But I think I'd be close to 6 if I went at it full gas. It was always a climb that we raced up playing games rather than for fast times.

I used to get out to the Surrey Hills a lot but don't really have the time now. Shame as there are some great little ascents.

If only you could ride into a tube station in central London and come out in Surrey in real life. It would have made my journey to work each day far more pleasant.

12345678910 ... 130131132 ... 137138139140141142143144145146147

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitThe Cycling Thread
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions