Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

GordyIcon...02-06-2016 @ 10:30 
Member 5418, 383 posts
Post Edited: 17.08.2018 @ 15:59 PM by Gordy
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...02-06-2016 @ 11:39 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Steve said:
Whether PEDs are harmful or not, or give you an advantage or not, whilst it's against the rules it's cheating even if "everybody" knows about it. If you were to say the rules should be changed then I understand (although don't agree) that argument.
If breaking the rules isn't, as a matter of fact, cheating then I really don't know what is.

If the "rules" aren't being followed, and / or are being enforced for other than sporting or health reasons (which I think is the case), then they need to be changed - that goes without saying.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...02-06-2016 @ 11:41 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Gordy said:
This argument works both ways.

Everyone does know what the situation is, it's remarkably clear. The powers that be are going to try and catch competitors who are using PEDs, whether the competitors agree with this or not and whether or not the entire field is using. Those caught will be banned and their name will be dragged through the mud, whether or not they are the only competitor using PEDs, the more successful/famous the athlete the worse the name dragging will be.
Competitors know that, fans know that, everyone associated with the sport knows that. So if competitors know this is the situation before they engage with it, who exactly is being wronged when someone is singled out for PED use?

And who is being wronged initially? I follow your line of reasoning but surely it turns into a "I know that you know that I know you know..." discussion without any
end?
matthewvcIcon...02-06-2016 @ 12:45 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3226 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 02.06.2016 @ 12:46 PM by matthewvc
ChrisMcCarthy said:
If the "rules" aren't being followed, and / or are being enforced for other than sporting or health reasons (which I think is the case), then they need to be changed - that goes without saying.

the rules about PEDs are really a vestige of corinthian idealism, rather than health.
this ideology is that sport should be purely amateur, untrained and using 'what god has gifted you'.
the same ideology ultimately led to the schism in rugby in 1895 and the increasingly farcical application of 'amateurism'
in union until 1996 (brown paper bags of cash, players becoming employed as cleaners at the club on 6-figure salaries etc).
SteveIcon...02-06-2016 @ 13:08 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
matthewvc said:
the rules about PEDs are really a vestige of corinthian idealism, rather than health.
this ideology is that sport should be purely amateur, untrained and using 'what god has gifted you'.
the same ideology ultimately led to the schism in rugby in 1895 and the increasingly farcical application of 'amateurism'
in union until 1996 (brown paper bags of cash, players becoming employed as cleaners at the club on 6-figure salaries etc).

I disagree. The rules re PEDs are as much about protecting the athletes health as ensuring a level playing field. People have died due to drug use in sport. Without restriction athletes will always push the limits and potentially put themselves at risk.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...02-06-2016 @ 14:10 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
I said:In SHW news Salimi is down to compete in a few days against Moulei at the Fajr Grand Prix meet.

His starting total is 390 - but here's hoping he can hit something much bigger and be a threat in Rio, although that will be a big ask after such a serious injury.

Salimi showed some form by snatching 205 but could only hit 225 for a 430 total - missing 231 twice.

After his usual inconsistent snatch (175 fail, 181 make, 190 fail) Moualei hit a 230 jerk then mysteriously managed to miss 249 twice otherwise he would have beaten Salimi on bodyweight...
little_aIcon...02-06-2016 @ 14:27 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Steve said:
The rules re PEDs are as much about protecting the athletes health as ensuring a level playing field. People have died due to drug use in sport. Without restriction athletes will always push the limits and potentially put themselves at risk.

Whilst it flies in the face of my usually liberal views on a persons body being theirs to do with what they wish, I agree with this. No one wants to see people dropping dead for a faster time etc (well, I don't). Interestingly, with restrictions in place athletes seem just as happy to push the limits of the restrictions. Funny old world.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...02-06-2016 @ 14:32 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
little_a said:
Whilst it flies in the face of my usually liberal views on a persons body being theirs to do with what they wish, I agree with this. No one wants to see people dropping dead for a faster time etc (well, I don't). Interestingly, with restrictions in place athletes seem just as happy to push the limits of the restrictions. Funny old world.

I do agree with this...I just don't see all PED's as being dangerous, certainly not in comparison to the dangers inherent in many sports in any case.

Rather than spending millions on drug testing to "protect their health" why not just directly test, monitor and treat their health?
SteveIcon...02-06-2016 @ 14:50 
Member 255, 3732 posts
ChrisMcCarthy said:
I do agree with this...I just don't see all PED's as being dangerous, certainly not in comparison to the dangers inherent in many sports in any case.
Rather than spending millions on drug testing to "protect their health" why not just directly test, monitor and treat their health?

If cyclists having to get up in the middle of the night to keep their blood flowing isn't a serious health risk, I'm not sure what is! Or cyclists dying from amphetamines and alcohol?
SteveIcon...02-06-2016 @ 14:55 
Member 255, 3732 posts
little_a said:

Certainly it could be argued that thirty years ago when you could nip across the channel and pick up "safe" PEDs over the counter in Europe things were safer and increased sophistication of testing has increased the risks athletes have to take.
matthewvcIcon...02-06-2016 @ 16:45 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3226 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Steve said:
Certainly it could be argued that thirty years ago when you could nip across the channel and pick up "safe" PEDs over the counter in Europe things were safer and increased sophistication of testing has increased the risks athletes have to take.

I agree that people take too many weird chemicals (and far too much) now
but i still think that the IOC morality around PED use is ideological over health in origins.
saying that, Corinthianism is implicitly healthy too, a bit of exercise and amateur competition is good for longevity and health.
pushing yourself to the extreme, be it drug free or not ... definitely not healthy.

rugby the sport that was at the centre ground of the battle between amateurism and professionalism for so long is now littered with broken bodies and ex-players with long term health problems, be it physical or mental (sean long, terry newton here spring to mind)
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...02-06-2016 @ 17:13 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
It's a real shame Moulaei and Salimi have both suffered injuries...if you could combine Salimi's current snatch (205) with Moulaei's recent C&J (247) then combined they would be a threat for a medal.

Mind you, having said that...ever since his injury Moulaei has been making a hash of his snatches in that whilst not up to his pre-injury level (203) he has been taking big jumps and being wildly inconsistent with weights that he looks like he could be making...so if he could hit 185 - 190 I could see him making a huge C&J for a 440 - 445 total, which could indeed be enough to take home something shiny.

Too much "could" there for my liking, but...
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...04-06-2016 @ 12:38 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
I have a horrible feeling Ilyin and Chinshanlo are about to get officially popped from London 2012...
WiganIcon...04-06-2016 @ 12:40 
a cynical old scrote
Member 68, 6843 posts
SQ 255, BP 132.5, DL 250
637.5 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
ChrisMcCarthy said:I have a horrible feeling Ilyin and Chinshanlo are about to get officially popped from London 2012...

It will be a shame if Ilyn gets done, a big downer for the sport in general.
WiganIcon...04-06-2016 @ 12:42 
a cynical old scrote
Member 68, 6843 posts
SQ 255, BP 132.5, DL 250
637.5 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Salimi's snatches looked super smooth and comfy, only saw his last attempt with 231 which was far from convincing, hopefully he can regain some form on them for Rio (although not enough to beat Albegov)

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions