Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

1369philIcon...24-08-2015 @ 18:10 
doesnt work hard enough in the gym
Member 1492, 2138 posts
SQ 170, BP 145, DL 195
510.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
kirkynick said:
Exactly.
Back then 9.99 was still considered godlike.
Bolt's time of 9.79 is the equal 34th quickest time ever (not including those times now disallowed). He did it into a -0.5 headwind. The quickest time ever with a headwind was by Yohan Blake at 9.69, so 9.79 is pretty damn good
http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_100ok.htm

Wow 672 times people have ran under 10.0

That's a stat for a pub quiz
deleted2_20210523Icon...24-08-2015 @ 18:16 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
unit94Icon...24-08-2015 @ 23:09 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Wayne im guessing you weren't trying
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...24-08-2015 @ 23:56 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22063 posts
I remember it and recall that I was trying! Maybe 90% effort. I'm naturally very unsporty.
WiganIcon...25-08-2015 @ 07:17 
a cynical old scrote
Member 68, 6845 posts
SQ 255, BP 132.5, DL 250
637.5 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
It would be interesting to see how many individuals in total have run under 10s and how many of them have since been banned for doping, percentage-wise. It wouldn't prove anything but would be interesting.
deleted2_20210523Icon...25-08-2015 @ 08:04 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
lukiIcon...25-08-2015 @ 09:46 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:Steve - I think the track issue is an interesting one. I wonder if anyone has done any analysis of track speeds because it's common knowledge that there are 'fast' tracks. I wonder if all tracks are now faster than they were? Not a suggestion, as I have no idea.

I was reading this the other day:
http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_get...

"In 1936, Jesse Owens held the world record in the 100 meters. Had Jesse Owens been racing last year in the world championships of the 100 meters, when Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt finished, Owens would have still had 14 feet to go. That's a lot in sprinter land. To give you a sense of how much it is, I want to share with you a demonstration conceived by sports scientist Ross Tucker. Now picture the stadium last year at the world championships of the 100 meters: thousands of fans waiting with baited breath to see Usain Bolt, the fastest man in history; flashbulbs popping as the nine fastest men in the world coil themselves into their blocks. And I want you to pretend that Jesse Owens is in that race. Now close your eyes for a second and picture the race. Bang! The gun goes off. An American sprinter jumps out to the front. Usain Bolt starts to catch him. Usain Bolt passes him, and as the runners come to the finish, you'll hear a beep as each man crosses the line. (Beeps) That's the entire finish of the race. You can open your eyes now. That first beep was Usain Bolt. That last beep was Jesse Owens. Listen to it again. (Beeps) When you think of it like that, it's not that big a difference, is it? And then consider that Usain Bolt started by propelling himself out of blocks down a specially fabricated carpet designed to allow him to travel as fast as humanly possible. Jesse Owens, on the other hand, ran on cinders, the ash from burnt wood, and that soft surface stole far more energy from his legs as he ran. Rather than blocks, Jesse Owens had a gardening trowel that he had to use to dig holes in the cinders to start from. Biomechanical analysis of the speed of Owens' joints shows that had been running on the same surface as Bolt, he wouldn't have been 14 feet behind, he would have been within one stride. Rather than the last beep, Owens would have been the second beep. Listen to it again. (Beeps) That's the difference track surface technology has made, and it's done it throughout the running world. "

The swimming was interesting too.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...25-08-2015 @ 09:59 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
To be fair Epstein says quite a few things which may be a little bit questionable - there is quite a wide range of estimates as to how much slower a cinder surface is than a modern track, for example. Neither am I quite sure where that "14 foot" comes from.....
CuddlesIcon...25-08-2015 @ 10:48 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Wigan said:It would be interesting to see how many individuals in total have run under 10s and how many of them have since been banned for doping, percentage-wise. It wouldn't prove anything but would be interesting.

On a similar vein, it was quite an eye opener to hear how many of the women's 100m semi finalists had served bans.
HUGE_GUYIcon...25-08-2015 @ 11:24 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
luki said:
"In 1936, Jesse Owens held the world record in the 100 meters. Had Jesse Owens been racing last year in the world championships of the 100 meters, when Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt finished, Owens would have still had 14 feet to go. That's a lot in sprinter land. To give you a sense of how much it is, I want to share with you a demonstration conceived by sports scientist Ross Tucker. Now picture the stadium last year at the world championships of the 100 meters: thousands of fans waiting with baited breath to see Usain Bolt, the fastest man in history; flashbulbs popping as the nine fastest men in the world coil themselves into their blocks. And I want you to pretend that Jesse Owens is in that race. Now close your eyes for a second and picture the race. Bang! The gun goes off. An American sprinter jumps out to the front. Usain Bolt starts to catch him. Usain Bolt passes him, and as the runners come to the finish, you'll hear a beep as each man crosses the line. (Beeps) That's the entire finish of the race. You can open your eyes now. That first beep was Usain Bolt. That last beep was Jesse Owens. Listen to it again. (Beeps) When you think of it like that, it's not that big a difference, is it? And then consider that Usain Bolt started by propelling himself out of blocks down a specially fabricated carpet designed to allow him to travel as fast as humanly possible. Jesse Owens, on the other hand, ran on cinders, the ash from burnt wood, and that soft surface stole far more energy from his legs as he ran. Rather than blocks, Jesse Owens had a gardening trowel that he had to use to dig holes in the cinders to start from. Biomechanical analysis of the speed of Owens' joints shows that had been running on the same surface as Bolt, he wouldn't have been 14 feet behind, he would have been within one stride. Rather than the last beep, Owens would have been the second beep. Listen to it again. (Beeps) That's the difference track surface technology has made, and it's done it throughout the running world. "

Few things to point out. Jesse Owens best 100m time was hand timed at 10.3. Back in the 80's the top coaches would add 0.24 for electric time conversion.

There aren't many good sprinters who run on anything but good tracks, but a 16yo Australian boy who has a best legal time of 10.50 ran a race on grass this year. I cant find the video, but i remember the time was around my PB, 10.68.

Also the NFL 40y dash times are about the same as any top athlete measured on mondo with spikes. Best official electric 40y time is 4.24, Bolt would do 4.20 at his best. I'm not sure what the surface they lay down is, astroturf still? They also don't use sprinting spikes.

Surfaces will help yes, but i don't think its as much as people think judging by my 2 examples here. Spikes? They remake the same spikes every year with different colours and market them as new technology. I've used many kinds of spikes. All pb's are with heavy jump spikes rather than my 'high technology super light' sprint spikes. Even with light trainers my times are only slightly behind.
SteveIcon...25-08-2015 @ 12:08 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
luki said:

I don't know where these distance come from, but they seem very questionable to me. IMO there's no way Jesse Owens would have been within 1 stride of Bolt running on a modern track. On the basis that would surely suggest he'd be well ahead using modern training techniques?
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...25-08-2015 @ 12:11 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Post Edited: 25.08.2015 @ 12:14 PM by ChrisMcCarthy
I believe the 40 yard times in the combines do not include reaction time.

Owens ran a 10.2 hand-timed.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...25-08-2015 @ 12:21 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
I am guessing Epstein did the following calculation:

10.20 - 9.77 = 0.43

100 / 9.77 * 0.43 = 4.4

So 4.4m, or about 14 and a half feet.

If so, a remarkably flawed calculation.
HUGE_GUYIcon...25-08-2015 @ 12:23 
I might destroy the planet
Member 2745, 803 posts
ChrisMcCarthy said:I believe the 40 yard times in the combines do not include reaction time.

Owens ran a 10.2 hand-timed.

I would be very stupid if i didnt account for reaction. Bolts 40y estimation of 4.20 is without reaction time. The nfl guys really are up there.

My bad, i just saw his olympic final time of 10.3
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...25-08-2015 @ 12:30 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
I wasn't suggesting you were stupid, just pointing out a further difference between the two.

And yes, some of those guys are like lightning.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitMo Farah's coach
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions