Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWhy is benching considered a crap strength indicator?

Why is benching considered a crap strength indicator?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Closed This thread has been closed by a moderator. Replies are no longer possible.

This is probably down to perspective and what each person sees as the most impressive lift. I don't think one lift can realy be a true indicator
Thing said:just out of interest what is people idea of 1 exercise that shows true full body strength.

for me i would have to say Clean and military press. there you get the strength that you would use in deadlift and if in the full clean position you get the squat strength and then for the press the standing military press is as good as others.

only problem with that mate is most people will be able to clean a lot more than they can strict press... surely cleans and Press/jerk is better?
thosebananas said:
only problem with that mate is most people will be able to clean a lot more than they can strict press... surely cleans and Press/jerk is better?

after what JC said with regard to tech then its tech for the clean and jerk aspect so in relation its a hugely technical movement over a strength movement
Thing said:
after what JC said with regard to tech then its tech for the clean and jerk aspect so in relation its a hugely technical movement over a strength movement

clean and push press then... a push press is not very technical.
thosebananas said:
clean and push press then... a push press is not very technical.

you wana bet?
I saw a guy at Devils Bridge pick up an R1 with one hand under the saddle, rotate it through 180 degrees and ride off.
That impressed the s**t out of me.
Real world lifting is much more impressive than Gym lifting, Gym lifting is trained and practiced and involves a lot of technique.
Dan said:I saw a guy at Devils Bridge pick up an R1 with one hand under the saddle, rotate it through 180 degrees and ride off.
That impressed the s**t out of me.
Real world lifting is much more impressive than Gym lifting, Gym lifting is trained and practiced and involves a lot of technique.

an R1?
Thing said:
you wana bet?

compared to jerk.. aye.
OdiousSlob
Post Edited: 13.07.2010 @ 13:02 PM by OdiousSlob
thosebananas said:
an R1?

450lbs
http://static.wix.com/media/1ef4ad73d28b0b6e3856ead91bed7d0c.w...
Villa_Ste
i can understand why. benching means ur strong, but not really good in every day use, deadlifting means ur powerful and can be used day to day
Bench pressing can be concidered as "a crap strength indicator" because it doesnt test most muscles. The rom is short, the position is awkward. It is very specific.

The deadlift has got to be the eldest movement there is, and it's the one that allows to s**t the most weights! So i would understand people who say it's the true test of strength.

Now i dont want to sound like a dick head but to me the real test of strength is the clean and jerk!

I dont practice the deadlift, i pull light weights fast!

The c&j isnt that technical, the snatch is, and a full clean isnt necessary is it?. Lots of big lads can cont clean or power clean serious weights. Then it's either a press or a push jerk. I believe with a little tunning anyone "strong" can improve his floor to over head a lot.
And that does test the overall strength , squat, pull, press, core, balance, speed, flexibility, mental....!

just my 2p
thosebananas said:
compared to jerk.. aye.

still alot of timing, hand position, bar position a little bit less that Jerk but not that much
David said:
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Having said that, big bench numbers done RAW and PROPERLY are impressive, but NOWHERE NEAR as impressive as big squat/dead numbers.

Why's that Confused

Squats and deads use the biggest/strongest muscles in the body as the prime movers and recruit lots of other muscles for assistance/stability. Grip strength is also important for deads.

Bench press involves lying down and tests one specific movement.

I know what I find more impressive.
http://jamiedubs.com/f**kflickr/data/love-this-thread.jpg
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
I know what I find more impressive.

What you or others find impressive is nothing to do with the thread question though

A BB style bench is a great indication of pec/shoulder/tricep strength....its as simple as that

So therefore its a great strength indicator....for those muscle groups

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWhy is benching considered a crap strength indicator?
Return to top View Desktop Site