Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWhy is benching considered a crap strength indicator?

Why is benching considered a crap strength indicator?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Closed This thread has been closed by a moderator. Replies are no longer possible.

s**ted benching is a pile of old bo***cks, not a good strength indicator, as its all down to who gets the most out odf the shirt, is technically better blah blah blah

A BB bench were you just lie down and press the f**king thing, no arch s**t, feet through the floor etc, is a good indicator of shoulder/tricep/pec strength......that is all
fatter_tomorrow
OdiousSlob said:What about mechanics. Is there a bodytype/skeletal structure that lends itself to benching rather well? Sometimes you see guys with no upper body mass well outbenching larger guys.

trex arms and gut help benching alot, and yes you sometimes see that but there is always an exception to the rule. total is the best indicator because it evens out the advantages of different body structures over the 3 lifts.
On the original topic...bench is a good strength indicator, but only of your pressing strength. It obviously wouldn't be a good strength indicator for whole body strength. There really isn't one lift that can be a good indicator of whole body strength beacuse although a deadlift does work a lot of muscles it doesn't show how much you can press, or row, or clean, or squat, or whatever...it just shows deadlift strength. This is why there is powerlifting! 3 lifts to show who is the strongest over their whole (or nearly whole) body.
just out of interest what is people idea of 1 exercise that shows true full body strength.

for me i would have to say Clean and military press. there you get the strength that you would use in deadlift and if in the full clean position you get the squat strength and then for the press the standing military press is as good as others.
fatter_tomorrow said:
trex arms and gut help benching alot, and yes you sometimes see that but there is always an exception to the rule. total is the best indicator because it evens out the advantages of different body structures over the 3 lifts.

Not, if as I stated, you bench without the arch and all that s**t

Then it is a great gauge of shoulder/pec/tricep strength
Rick said:
Have you never, say, cramped up in the hamstrings benching?

I certainly have Rick! More often in my hips as well. I hope I didn't come across as taking the stance that bench press ISNT a good strength indicator, I was just chipping in with my deadlifting anecdote!

Also, for those saying clean AND jerk, does that mean I could pick squat AND bench?
Thing said:just out of interest what is people idea of 1 exercise that shows true full body strength.

for me i would have to say Clean and military press. there you get the strength that you would use in deadlift and if in the full clean position you get the squat strength and then for the press the standing military press is as good as others.

The clean is very technical though. You need more than one exercise to test full body strength IMO
dr_hazbun
Benching is a great gauge of upper body strength. It is at least as good, or dare I say, even better, than overhead as a measure of strength if you use number of upper body muscles recruited in the execution of the lift as a measure of superiority.

A lot of people find it an uninspiring lift to train mainly because it plateaus sooner than say squats or deads.
No, the cleansquatpressbenchsideraise is the greatest exercise to test overall strength.
Robbo said:An indicator of strength would be your results at a Powerlifting show or Strongman show imo.

To say that a certain exercise is a good indicator of strength is tosh. It indicates your good at that exercise if you are strong at it, but you may be s**t at everything else, which would mean IMO, you aint really very strong.

Agreed.

Benching is easy, everyone in a gym does it. The majority of gym mongs don't squat to depth or dead lift. As far as the DL goes I've seen plenty of.. dare I say small freaks who can pull around 300 but struggle to total 300 with a bench & squat. So I don't believe it can be used as an indicator.

Personally the most impressive lift for me is an axle from floor to overhead. Just my opinion.
Wayne_Cowdrey said:It's not a particularly useful movement to be strong at (unless you're a powerlifter!).

It doesn't involve your core (to any significant degree).

I disagree there, the biggest benchers in the world use massvie abdominal pressure to assist the pressing.

I'm not a bad bencher but nothing speical, not the biggest fan of the lift primarily due to the shoulder issues it has the potential to cause - far preffer close grips and dips.
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Having said that, big bench numbers done RAW and PROPERLY are impressive, but NOWHERE NEAR as impressive as big squat/dead numbers.

Why's that Confused
JC said:
The clean is very technical though. You need more than one exercise to test full body strength IMO

i know but if you have the tech the in terms of a full body strength exercise testing for everything it must be a good indicator?
big bench is about as impressive as a big bicep curl.

both feats of strength of course but not really impressive to me personally.
One Handed D/B press???

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWhy is benching considered a crap strength indicator?
Return to top View Desktop Site