Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
SteveIcon...18-06-2015 @ 07:34 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 18.06.2015 @ 07:40 AM by Steve
First time ever averaging over 20mph for an hour

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/OHSPEBMEEKMPMC5G...

NP 257 for an hour (over FTP of 256) at average HR of just 120 - perhaps I need to retest my FTP!
CuddlesIcon...18-06-2015 @ 08:48 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:First time ever averaging over 20mph for an hour

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/OHSPEBMEEKMPMC5G...

NP 257 for an hour (over FTP of 256) at average HR of just 120 - perhaps I need to retest my FTP!

No one likes a show off...

That's very impressive though mate, well done. When is the big day?

Got a quieter day at work today so got up early and did some hills, all short, but 9 in total, alternating standing and seating efforts.

I've got a lot of work to do...
SteveIcon...18-06-2015 @ 09:26 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:
No one likes a show off...
That's very impressive though mate, well done. When is the big day?
Got a quieter day at work today so got up early and did some hills, all short, but 9 in total, alternating standing and seating efforts.
I've got a lot of work to do...

It's so nice to have the long days and have a bit more time to get out - a few hills before work is a great way to start the day - hopefully things quieten down for you for at least a few weeks with summer hols approaching?

A week on Sunday to Ironman UK 70.3 - hoping the weather stays good and I can see some improvements on my bike (without destroying the run). It would be nice not to spend the whole of the bike ride having people pass me!
little_aIcon...18-06-2015 @ 09:55 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
You must be feeling pretty confident about the run though post Manchester Marathon Steve?

Question on aero bars, I've tried putting mine on my road bike but can't get enough tension on them to stop them slipping when I'm on the bike. Is it necessary to remove all tape and retape after installing them? Maybe a newb q, but I'm an aero newb Unhappy Also, is there an optimal seating or is it variable by a lot person to person? I've got my bike set up on a mag trainer at the mo so I can experiment a bit more conveniently.
SteveIcon...18-06-2015 @ 10:33 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 18.06.2015 @ 10:36 AM by Steve
little_a said:You must be feeling pretty confident about the run though post Manchester Marathon Steve?

Question on aero bars, I've tried putting mine on my road bike but can't get enough tension on them to stop them slipping when I'm on the bike. Is it necessary to remove all tape and retape after installing them? Maybe a newb q, but I'm an aero newb Unhappy Also, is there an optimal seating or is it variable by a lot person to person? I've got my bike set up on a mag trainer at the mo so I can experiment a bit more conveniently.

There's a big difference between a flat standalone run and a very hilly, largely off road half marathon straight after a 56mile bike ride with 5000ft of climbing. I plan to walk some of it (hopefully not too much)

I think normally clip on bars attach inside where you would normally have tape on the bars. How far apart are you trying to set them up? And how close does the tape on you bars go? Regardless I would think you need to not have tape where you are attaching them..

Ideally I think you're aiming to get your shoulders over your elbows on the aero pads if possible. This will probably need you to move you seat as far forward as it will possibly go and experiment from there. Even then it may be still a bit of a reach - some people use shorter stems or forward facing seat posts to get further forwards.

I quite like the Bike Fast Fit app for having a good look at your position on the bike and comparing how it's set up. It allows you to take a picture/video of your bike and you on it and accurately measure where everything is.
CuddlesIcon...18-06-2015 @ 10:39 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
There's a big difference between a flat standalone run and a very hilly, largely off road half marathon straight after a 56mile bike ride with 5000ft of climbing. I plan to walk some of it (hopefully not too much)
I think normally clip on bars attach inside where you would normally have tape on the bars. How far apart are you trying to set them up? And how close does the tape on you bars go? Regardless I would think you need to not have tape where you are attaching them..
Ideally I think you're aiming to get your shoulders over your elbows on the aero pads if possible. This will probably need you to move you seat as far forward as it will possibly go and experiment from there. Even then it may be still a bit of a reach - some people use shorter stems or forward facing seat posts to get further forwards.
I quite like the Bike Fast Fit app for having a good look at your position on the bike and comparing how it's set up. It allows you to take a picture/video of your bike and you on it and accurately measure where everything is.

5000ft of climbing is flat Wink Bloody triathletes...

Steve is correct though, unless you have tape all the way to the stem, the bars will go inside the taped area.

With regard to position. If needed, I would favour a forward facing seatpost 9.5/10 over a shorter stem. The stem will change the handling of the bike, and potentially by quite a bit. The seatpost will just change your position.
little_aIcon...18-06-2015 @ 11:18 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Thanks guys. Not sure on width Steve. I always thought I had narrow shoulders, but even at a wide position on the bars it feels a bit snug. I'll have a look into the app you mentioned and see where I'm at. It's all new so I think I'm still a way off. Looks like a retaping exercise is on the cards, but it's probably one of the less expensive changes I can make to a bike, along with seat repositioning. Sure I'll come back on this subject some more.
SteveIcon...18-06-2015 @ 12:06 
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 18.06.2015 @ 12:08 PM by Steve
little_a said:Thanks guys. Not sure on width Steve. I always thought I had narrow shoulders, but even at a wide position on the bars it feels a bit snug. I'll have a look into the app you mentioned and see where I'm at. It's all new so I think I'm still a way off. Looks like a retaping exercise is on the cards, but it's probably one of the less expensive changes I can make to a bike, along with seat repositioning. Sure I'll come back on this subject some more.

Your elbows on the pads should (unless you're too stiff to allow it) be much a lot narrower than the width of your shoulders - it definitely does feel snug as you sort of round your shoulders forwards

Also depending on the way your aero bars work exactly you should still mount them fairly narrow (the aero bars on my bike are just about toughing the bracket on the stem and couldn't go any narrower) and then be able to move out the pads to some extent.
unit94Icon...18-06-2015 @ 12:22 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10450 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
I really really want the Armstrong film to be good, also its still crazy to remember watching the Simeoni incident live with my dad and neither of us having an absolute clue what was going on behind the scenes.
CuddlesIcon...18-06-2015 @ 13:18 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
unit94 said:I really really want the Armstrong film to be good, also its still crazy to remember watching the Simeoni incident live with my dad and neither of us having an absolute clue what was going on behind the scenes.

In a weird way, and perhaps this is a reflection on my morals, but the Simeoni incident is one of the things that tipped my view of Armstrong. A lot more has come out since that solidified that opinion, but it showed him and his intentions at their worst.
PhillippeHalterIcon...18-06-2015 @ 14:08 
Are horror films healthy...?
Member 5449, 2203 posts
Cuddles said:Yes.

I will take that as a "let's not go there" then
CuddlesIcon...18-06-2015 @ 15:34 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
PhillippeHalter said:
I will take that as a "let's not go there" then

Not really, although I would prefer this not to be a Lance Armstrong PED thread, we've had enough threads over the years about that.

Armstrong failed a test for corticosteroids, and then got the UCI to agree to a backdated TUE. It then came to light that he had failed (I think 4+) tests that were covered up.

It is widely alleged, although of course denied, that he received advanced notice of OOC tests, and had further tests covered up by the UCI.

He also donated £125,000 to the UCI, around the time of the alleged covered up tests.

These statements have been made in numerous books, and Armstrong did not sue for libel, something he has a track record of doing.

When accused by L'equipe that he had failed multiple tests for EPO (in the same race, his first TDF win) that were covered up by the UCI, he refused to allow the blood to be retested, saying that the samples had been mistreated and so couldn't be reliable.

All of this is slightly irrelevant though given that he has admitted to using EPO, HGH, and test, amongst others.
PhillippeHalterIcon...18-06-2015 @ 16:04 
Are horror films healthy...?
Member 5449, 2203 posts
Cuddles said:
Not really, although I would prefer this not to be a Lance Armstrong PED thread, we've had enough threads over the years about that

Cool I will find them

12345678910 ... 505152 ... 137138139140141142143144145146147

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitThe Cycling Thread
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions