Who's Online - 1 member and 231 guests

Rio 2016 Weightlifting

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

ChrisMcCarthyIcon...15-08-2016 @ 19:27 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Post Edited: 15.08.2016 @ 19:32 PM by ChrisMcCarthy
Steve said:
The NCAA keeps getting brought up, but I don't see how relevant they are. I don't suppose any country's college sports system has particularly rigorous testing. And with the number of competitors involved I don't see how it ever can be. It's what happens once an athlete is on a National team that's much more important.[/Quote]

QUOTE] And unlike the Russians the USA didn't (or haven't been caught) plan and design the testing systems and laboratory around cheating at an Olympic Games. The Russian's actually built their testing laboratory so they could break the get around the testing and made complete fools of the IOC.

Ah, so the all the training and competition they take part in during the 3-4 years an Athlete is at College, which can take place completely beyond the scrutiny of WADA, is irrelevant to the rest of their Sporting Careers then?

Hmmn, not sure the Russians see the situation that way...however, across the range of sports, the US setup is quite different to the Russian, which is a lot more centralised...the US Governing Bodies (most of whom famously, and some might even say suspiciously, cannot find their own ar****les) know that they can comfortably leave the process of organised doping to individuals such as Victor Conte!

Interesting fact about Victor Conte, which I did not realise until I read it recently, was that he was a member of Tower of Power.

Allegedly.

EDIT: Couldn't insert it properly, but the first paragraph of mine is supposed to be in reply to your first paragraph!
SteveIcon...15-08-2016 @ 21:02 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 15.08.2016 @ 21:04 PM by Steve
ChrisMcCarthy said:
QUOTE] And unlike the Russians the USA didn't (or haven't been caught) plan and design the testing systems and laboratory around cheating at an Olympic Games. The Russian's actually built their testing laboratory so they could break the get around the testing and made complete fools of the IOC.

Ah, so the all the training and competition they take part in during the 3-4 years an Athlete is at College, which can take place completely beyond the scrutiny of WADA, is irrelevant to the rest of their Sporting Careers then?
Hmmn, not sure the Russians see the situation that way...however, across the range of sports, the US setup is quite different to the Russian, which is a lot more centralised...the US Governing Bodies (most of whom famously, and some might even say suspiciously, cannot find their own ar****les) know that they can comfortably leave the process of organised doping to individuals such as
Victor Conte!
Interesting fact about Victor Conte, which I did not realise until I read it recently, was that he was a member of Tower of Power.
Allegedly.
EDIT: Couldn't insert it properly, but the first paragraph of mine is supposed to be in reply to your first paragraph!

Surely if they are competing Internationally they are subject to the same WADA testing and wherabouts requirements as any other country? I know I've read claims Ledecky has been tested 15times this year.. In which case any lack of testing by the NCAA isn't really relevant. I would have thought in the majority of cases if you weren't of International standard by 18 to 23 there's a pretty good chance you weren't going to make it anyway, except with the exception of American sports such as Baseball, Basketball, US Football.. which are strongly organised around the college system?

Ps I don't believe the US system is clean. I think there is far too much money and power involved with companies like Nike.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...15-08-2016 @ 21:14 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Steve said:
Surely if they are competing Internationally they are subject to the same WADA testing and wherabouts requirements as any other country? I know I've read claims Ledecky has been tested 15times this year.. In which case any lack of testing by the NCAA isn't really relevant. I would have thought in the majority of cases if you weren't of International standard by 18 to 23 there's a pretty good chance you weren't going to make it anyway, except with the exception of American sports such as Baseball, Basketball, US Football.. which are strongly organised around the college system?
Ps I don't believe the US system is clean. I think there is far too much money and power involved with companies like Nike.

Considering in a lot of sports (our beloved WL for example, as described above) you can easily be better than just about any other Country's represntatives and never make a Team for a Major International Championship I don't think this is particularly true.

Also (and in the case of the NCAA Athletes this is so obvious it is almost hard to remember - as it is almost literally the definition of a Scholarship) you would probably never need to compete Internationally once you've left College as you've already won potentially Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars in College Education already. Happy
SteveIcon...15-08-2016 @ 22:31 
Member 255, 3732 posts
ChrisMcCarthy said:
Considering in a lot of sports (our beloved WL for example, as described above) you can easily be better than just about any other Country's represntatives and never make a Team for a Major International Championship I don't think this is particularly true.
Also (and in the case of the NCAA Athletes this is so obvious it is almost hard to remember - as it is almost literally the definition of a Scholarship) you would probably never need to compete Internationally once you've left College as you've already won potentially Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars in College Education already. Happy

But if they never compete Internationally, they why would anyone else in the world care if they were tested?
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...15-08-2016 @ 22:55 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Post Edited: 15.08.2016 @ 22:59 PM by ChrisMcCarthy
I'm confused - you are referring to the NCAA Athletes?

If and when they do compete Internationally they will only have to be in the Doping Program for a limited period beforehand but will have trained for years without WADA Doping controls and developed accordingly - I feel like we have been over this ground already?

And, we can include the Chinese Lifters in this and say that members of both groups can be / are of International Class but will have never competed Internationally because they literally CANNOT all compete under the current system...
SteveIcon...16-08-2016 @ 07:35 
Member 255, 3732 posts
ChrisMcCarthy said:I'm confused - you are referring to the NCAA Athletes?

If and when they do compete Internationally they will only have to be in the Doping Program for a limited period beforehand but will have trained for years without WADA Doping controls and developed accordingly - I feel like we have been over this ground already?

And, we can include the Chinese Lifters in this and say that members of both groups can be / are of International Class but will have never competed Internationally because they literally CANNOT all compete under the current system...

Sorry to confuse. I was simply commenting on your comments about NCAA athletes not needing to compete Internationally after receiving the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars of education.

I'm sure I largely agree with you actually. I suspect there's loads of undetected doping in the NCAA. If athletes are competing in WADA sports then three/four years outside testing surely isn't acceptable. I don't however believe it's on an institutional level with state backed support (which is what makes the Russian doping so different IMO)
little_aIconBack to the Olympics16-08-2016 @ 08:18 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Anyone got other than a guess as to why there are no medals given for individual lifts, but records are kept? Or the flip side, why do they keep records for elements of the sport that they don't receive medals for?

Also, watching the 94's the other day and they listed the OR's as being held by Ilyn? I pondered when these were set? Weightlifting doesn't seem to know its arse from its elbow right now.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...16-08-2016 @ 08:23 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
No problem Steve - I'm not a hard man to confuse, even at the best of times! Happy

I do see where you are coming from on most of our discussions - which are much enjoyed by the way - I just happen to think there is much more tacit approval and support for organised doping in the States than you give it credit for, especially considering the much more de-centralised system where even things like Prisons are outsourced to "Private" Companies.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...16-08-2016 @ 08:39 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
little_a said:Anyone got other than a guess as to why there are no medals given for individual lifts, but records are kept? Or the flip side, why do they keep records for elements of the sport that they don't receive medals for?

Also, watching the 94's the other day and they listed the OR's as being held by Ilyn? I pondered when these were set? Weightlifting doesn't seem to know its arse from its elbow right now.

I suspect it is to keep the Overall Number of Medals lower - in the "old days" you could have had up to 4 different Olympic Champions and 12 medallists per class.

As for the records, f**k knows - I don't think the cases announced in the same batch as Ilyin have been through the whole "review" process as yet and so per IWF procedures (I think they have them...) they can't be officially removed yet.

I'm not always the greatest fan of Michaela Breeze's commentary but fair play for her actually mentioning the names of the excluded lifters unlike that other idiot.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...16-08-2016 @ 09:48 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Shame there was no Ilyin in the 105's last night but Nuridinov is a fine lifter - and great to see the young lad get a silver...
matthewvcIcon...16-08-2016 @ 10:25 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3234 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
little_a said:Anyone got other than a guess as to why there are no medals given for individual lifts, but records are kept? Or the flip side, why do they keep records for elements of the sport that they don't receive medals for?

if it was anything like swimming there'd be medals for
clean, snatch; power, block and hang variations of each and then 1, 3, 5 and 10 rep maxes.
RickIcon...16-08-2016 @ 10:45 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
She really is keen on rock-solid elbows. Her continuing surprise at lifts being passed does amuse me.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...16-08-2016 @ 11:18 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Rick said:She really is keen on rock-solid elbows. Her continuing surprise at lifts being passed does amuse me.

She's almost always right though...
slimsimIcon...16-08-2016 @ 12:50 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Sod the weightlifting for a minute. Did anyone see the mens 91kg heavyweight boxing final last night between the Kazakh fighter and the Russian?

How the Russian got the decision suggests not only is that state sponsored doping but state sponsored match rigging as well! The crowd were NOT happy.
RickIcon...16-08-2016 @ 15:53 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
ChrisMcCarthy said:
She's almost always right though...

If "right" means "matching the decision of the referees", this turns out not to be remotely the case, especially at these championships.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions