Who's Online - 2 members and 285 guests

Reverse hypers / alternatives

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

RodgerIconReverse hypers / alternatives17-11-2016 @ 13:44 
salad dodger *missing*
Member 1805, 10367 posts
SQ 215, BP 121, DL 240
576.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
I've been reading a bit into Reverse Hyper machines and their benefits lately due to having a stiff lower back and stiff mid back. I'd like to require some additional strengthening for squats/deadlifts.

Anyone used one before?
How far up your back will it give you traction?

The gym I train at isn't interested in shelling out £600+ for one as you can image as 'they don't have the space' and 'nobody would use it'.
I can understand that so been looking at ways to improvise.

I've seen youtube vids of folk doing them on an incline bench with or without bands in various right and wrong ways (ie feet only go as far as the floor not under the body and no rotation of the sacrum) - Any tried these?
lukiIcon...17-11-2016 @ 13:53 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Its the same exercise as a Romanian/Stiff Legged Deadlift. We have one in my local gym, but once you get over holding 2 plates its a bit s**t compared to the above.
BaconWarriorIcon...17-11-2016 @ 13:59 
**INSERT BACON TAGLINE**
Member 3502, 1009 posts
SQ 240, BP 157.5, DL 275
672.5 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
I recall reading someone from elite FTS or one of those kinda groups recommends banded good mornings as an alternative.

Aside from alternative movements, you'd just need something you can lay your torso on and anchor yourself to that's high enough to let your legs hang and swing back - a lot of people in my gym use the prone row/ seal row bench for that.

You can't really go too far wrong with a combo of RDL, good mornings, hyper extensions on either a 45 degree bench or a GHD and doing GHRs I suppose.
BrenWadIcon...17-11-2016 @ 14:40 
Enough was enough. Banned.
Member 6099, 775 posts
SQ 300, BP 195, DL 310
805.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Rodger said:I've been reading a bit into Reverse Hyper machines and their benefits lately due to having a stiff lower back and stiff mid back. I'd like to require some additional strengthening for squats/deadlifts.

Anyone used one before?
How far up your back will it give you traction?

The gym I train at isn't interested in shelling out £600+ for one as you can image as 'they don't have the space' and 'nobody would use it'.
I can understand that so been looking at ways to improvise.

I've seen youtube vids of folk doing them on an incline bench with or without bands in various right and wrong ways (ie feet only go as far as the floor not under the body and no rotation of the sacrum) - Any tried these?

Done the incline bench ones fir high reps, and regular reverse hypers. Incline bench version superior for working lower all way up to mid back in my experience, and some great glute and oblique work too
unit94Icon...17-11-2016 @ 14:56 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
You guys are looking at reverse hypers the wrong way. They aren't a substitute for gms or rdls, they're great excuse they allow you to decompress the spine. Rodger they're great for injury prevention but if you don't have one you'll be struggling to replicate them. Plenty other lifts work your glutes but they won't have the benefits of the reverse hyper
RodgerIcon...17-11-2016 @ 17:04 
salad dodger *missing*
Member 1805, 10367 posts
SQ 215, BP 121, DL 240
576.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
unit94 said:You guys are looking at reverse hypers the wrong way. They aren't a substitute for gms or rdls, they're great excuse they allow you to decompress the spine. Rodger they're great for injury prevention but if you don't have one you'll be struggling to replicate them. Plenty other lifts work your glutes but they won't have the benefits of the reverse hyper

I realise that mate, I want to try and replicate the movement best I can with equipment that I CAN access, as there's no chance of getting near one.

I'm after the traction/ spine decompression benefit as I appreciate there are many other movements for the lower back and glute strengthening
IrishMarcIcon...17-11-2016 @ 18:57 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
1369philIcon...17-11-2016 @ 18:58 
doesnt work hard enough in the gym
Member 1492, 2138 posts
SQ 170, BP 145, DL 195
510.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Am I the only one who feels a huge amount of spinal stretching on the leg curl machine at the start of the lift?
Like so many of these therapeutic exercises, reverse hypers are a bugger to load up - it also becomes a bit of a swinging exercise on the machines designed for it.
I have wedged a Swiss ball on the seat of a preacher curl bench and gripped on the arm pad - thus replicating something approximating a reverse hyper.
There is definitely a good feeling on the spine and the bit where the back joins the top of the butt when doing this movement.
matthewvcIcon...17-11-2016 @ 19:01 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3235 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.11.2016 @ 19:01 PM by matthewvc
I remember reading this 'dr squat' fred hatfield post ages ago:

"BACK EXTENSIONS
Picture this: The great Olympic weightlifter Vasily Alexeev’s ponderous body draped over a gymnastics long horse with his feet wedged between the stall bars of an unbelievably archaic training gym in Moscow’s Lenin Institute of Sport. With four hundred pounds precariously perched behind his head, he explodes for five reps of back raises. There is virtually NO hip extensor involvement, only pure erector spinae contraction. That means 1) tremendous low back limit strength and speed-strength is developed far beyond what any other low back exercise could possibly accomplish, and 2) virtually NO trauma to the tenuous intervertebral discs of the lumbar spine, which is something no other low back exercise ever conceived can claim.

By far the biggest muscles of your lower back are the "erector" muscles. They're also the most visible. Your erector spinae muscles are designed to extend (and hyperextend) your spine. They do NOT act on your hip joint, so there's no reason to engage in exercises which require hip joint movement (i.e., traditional "hypers").

The best way to target your erectors is with "back extensions." This exercise requires the use of a specialized bench quite unlike the ones you're probably used to seeing around the gyms (the "hyper" benches you are used to seeing are, in my opinion, relatively worthless). The bench of choice is called (by its inventor, Dr. Mike Yessis) a "glute-ham-gastroc machine." He called it that because those muscles are the ones the Soviets target with a similar exercise which Dr. Yessis improved upon. Glute-ham-gastroc raises are discussed in the section (below) dealing with leg and hip exercises.

To use this device to target your erectors, your feet are secured by the two foot pads which are backed by a metal plate that prevents your feet from slipping through. Your "belly button" is placed in the middle of the padded support. Your knees are bent. Then, your feet push against the metal plate in order to "lock" your upper legs against the padded bench. All of this ensures that only your erector muscles are targeted, and NOT your hip extensors (gluteals). Simply assume the described position and flex your spine (round your back downward). Hold as much weight behind your head as you can, and extend your spine (straighten it back out again). You should not raise way up by arching (hyperextending) your back, as doing so places too much strain on the intervertebral discs of your lumbar spine. Repeat for the desired number of reps.

This exercise is quite probably the ONLY low back exercise you will ever have to do. It is that effective.

Noted exceptions are deadlifts, squats, glute-ham raises and explosive high pulls, all of which involve the lower back muscles as either stabilizers or synergists. However, none is done for the express purpose of developing your lower back, and are probably unsuitable for most trainees outside clinical and sports-specific applications.
"
1369philIcon...18-11-2016 @ 08:11 
doesnt work hard enough in the gym
Member 1492, 2138 posts
SQ 170, BP 145, DL 195
510.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
I've done something similar to this on a 45 degree hyper - pad all the way up, knees bent and a reverse crunch type movement - I've seen KK do a similar upper back good morning after his normal seated set.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions