Living in a City

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

DavidIconLiving in a City10-01-2007 @ 14:30 
I ♥ Dr. Gillian McKeith
Member 17, 742 posts
SQ 0, BP 180, DL 0
180.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Do you like living in a city?

Presumably most on here live in Manchester?

I lived in the centre of Liverpool for a year last year and personally didnt like it. I think it was just sort of the hustle and bustle i didnt like, i think im certainly more of a country boy lol!

I live in the suburbs i guess on the edge of a town and sort of in the middle between Chester/Manchester, i can see two farms from my house and there are fields to the back of it!

Random topic... im just curious really!
RobIcon...10-01-2007 @ 14:39 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Good topic mate, I live in Fallowfield and the house has a decent garden, so it's not really like living in the city.

Back home is proper country bumpkin stuff, one or two shops and that's your lot (apart from several pubs of course).

I definitely prefer the country more, wouldn't like to live in an apartment right in a city really.
CuddlesIcon...10-01-2007 @ 15:05 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Ive done the extremes. First lived in a very small village in Cambridgeshire, you know the sort, post office, pub and nothing else. My dad still has a house there, and f**k me, living there now would destroy every ounce of my soul.

Moved to London when I was 5, lived there till 19 and then moved to Manchester. I LOVE cities. I like the late nights, the bars, the hustle. Good cities have a certain buzz about them that just sits well with me.

I think a lot of is what you're used to. Having lived in London, it feels natural to me to be around busy places. Consequently I love going out into the middle of nowhere, and doing nothing, but for a few days, after that I start to go mad. I'm definitely a city boy at heart.
CuddlesIcon...10-01-2007 @ 15:07 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Although having said that, one of the great things about Manchester is what Rob said. I live minutes away from the City, yet if I look out of my window I could be in any town anywhere. Manchester is quite nice like that.
mike_martinIcon...10-01-2007 @ 16:17 
Member 14, 79 posts
SQ 200, BP 150, DL 250
600.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
How odd, im thinking through some ideas of what to do in myh life and was going to ask what manchesters like for students!Grin I used to live in newcastle, whilst a city, its not really hustle and bustle. And i lived in the 'student area' of town, its very nice. in fact i beleive you would be suprised to how posh it is in place. great place, just too far awayUnhappy
JoniIcon...10-01-2007 @ 16:34 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
i come from finland, scales are different there.

finnish city = british suburb. British countryside = finnish suburb. Finnish countryside = something you guys read from books.

So aye, cities are not really for me.

But if i am stuck in a city, i want to live in as convenient location as possible. Small garden thingie didn't really do it for us so we decided to live flat bang in the centre. Its really good though, everything is so close by! We just walk everywhere.
BoarIcon...10-01-2007 @ 16:56 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25558 posts
Administrator
Post Edited: 10.01.2007 @ 16:56 PM
ths closest i got to living in a city was 3 months in sydney, was fairly good though to be honest, but that might have somthing to do with my proximity to the stripclubs. However it soon becoms like anywhere else - getting up early to trudge to work, get home, go get pissed.

leyland is a city compared to mawdsley

Wink

edit|:joni, i thought you were from SA , for some reason.
littlegirlbunnyIcon...10-01-2007 @ 17:16 
MIA
Member 7, 621 posts
SQ 80, BP 45, DL 125
250.0 kgs @ 55kgs UnEq
No I hate it. The only thing it is good for is training.

I miss the country so much.
Big_silly_man_DanIcon...10-01-2007 @ 18:19 
sold boar a shit car
Member 27, 209 posts
SQ 220, BP 170, DL 240
630.0 kgs @ 119kgs UnEq
I'm a country boy and feel very claustrophobic in cities, I just hate them. I was brought up in a little village and now live on the rural outskirts of a largish town - Blackburn - but never venture into Blackburn if I can possibly help it. I once went to stay with a mate in London for a week and came home after 4 days because I hated the place. I have no idea how people cope with the traffic in cities, a car seems more of a hindrance !
RickIcon...10-01-2007 @ 19:15 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
I love cities, especially this one. I grew up in a village of about 100 houses, two miles from the nearest shop (the post office in the next village) and less than a mile from Cannock Chase; I could walk out of the door and be among the trees in ten minutes.

We spent our holidays sailing, mostly along the basically-uninhabited west coast of Scotland.

It had its beauties, but cities - real cities, of which there aren't too many in Britain - are ALIVE. And this one... this one is mine. I knew it from the first day I arrived. I love it here.
CuddlesIcon...10-01-2007 @ 20:45 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Originally posted by Big_silly_man_Dan...
a car seems more of a hindrance !

Thats because it is! Despite what everyone says, public transport in london really is good. Really f**king good in fact!
JoniIcon...11-01-2007 @ 08:48 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Olly...
Thats because it is! Despite what everyone says, public transport in london really is good. Really f**king good in fact!

all londoners seem to use the bus - and all tourists will use the underground. But the bus network does look pretty f**king good.

They need to do the same in manchester, bring all the bus companies under one roof and coordinate the s**t a bit.
CuddlesIcon...11-01-2007 @ 11:23 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Well I know what you mean. But I disagree. The multiple bus companies in Manchester actually work. The competition means that there are more buses, more routes, and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than London. I think Manchester is one of the few real success stories regarding privatisation of public transport.

The tube takes a lot of stick. But to be honest. The only real problems are due to the millions of journeys that are made on it each and every day. People have to remember just how old it actually is, and that changes will take a long time to implement and cost a lot of money, simply due to its staggering size.
JoniIcon...11-01-2007 @ 11:55 
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
you have to be f**king joking man! Manchester is a prime example of a total f**king disaster of privatisation of public transport: busy lines being full of buses from huge array of different companies with different prising models, infrequent and expensive service on non-busy lines.

Where there is no two companies doing the same line the buses are often packed full because thats how the biggest profit is made (not from comfortable rides).

The workers are faced with a race to the bottom with conditions being undermined by competing bus companies in the profit wars.

manchester also seems to have fair few buses which look like have been condemned unroadworthy in Uganda or something and shipped over.

Nah man, manchester public trasport is in a dire state in almost everywhere apart from Oxford road -> student areas, and even those have the problems of too many bus companies on the same line.
CuddlesIcon...11-01-2007 @ 12:16 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Do you get the bus much in London?

My point is simple. The buses in London in the best areas are about as good as here in the worst areas. Granted, they are shiny, and new. Wow, big deal. They are ludicrously expensive, dramatically overcrowded, and on everything but the busiest routes, underserviced. To be honest, they are underserviced on the busiest routes simply becuase of the numbers attempting to use them.

Where I live at home, I have to pay £1.50 (I believe it has just gone up to £2) to travel 300 yards. If I were still at school it would cost me £8 a day to get to school and back. I'm sorry, but any bus system that has to charge that is failing and failing in a big way.

Live in London for a few years, and tell me if the buses work better here or there. I think you'd be surprised.

And with regard to the tube, id use the tube EVERY single journey that I could over getting a bus in London. I dont understand why anyone would choose a bus over the tube.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitLiving in a City
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions