Who's Online - 0 members and 131 guests

AWESOME NEW ARTICLE ON IRONMILL STRONG!

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JCIcon...07-11-2012 @ 12:08 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
LouisCosta said:Why do you guys feel there is less emphasis on that youth development in the UK ? Maybe Europe in general if that is not being too presumptuous ?

Personally, I think sport for the 11-17 year olds is MASSIVE in schools in the US....and with being a good sportsman cames a certain standing (as in movies give the indication that "jocks" are very popular in high school)

In the UK, being a success in sport at 11-17, isn't necessarily a route to being popular. And in general, sport isn't given the same imp[ortance in UK high schools, as it is in the US
martinbIcon...07-11-2012 @ 12:14 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
LouisCosta said:

Why do you guys feel there is less emphasis on that youth development in the UK ? Maybe Europe in general if that is not being too presumptuous ?

Most of the time physical attributes are treated as innate, if you are fast, good for you, if you aren't you never will be, same with being strong

There isn't really the connection that making a stronger faster kid will make a better sportsman as much here
MarkIcon...07-11-2012 @ 12:23 
Member.
Member 2171, 1612 posts
JC said:
Thats a bit misleading really
That is the case, as no other f**king country plays there sports
We, have in the past, put less emphasis on school and youth development of folk from our own country, as our main sports have worldwide participation (well, to more of a dgree than baseball, american football), so we also "import" talent from our countries
The yanks dont really have that option (I realise the yank sports are played in other counties, but most will not be professional or to the same standard)

It's not misleading. Replace NFL/NBA/MLB for football/cricket/rugby (our 3 major sports) and we do not have the same infrastructure to produce the talent that we could.
Hell I could have said athletics and swimming instead, they are no different. Some of the tracks and swimming pools that colleges have over there are immense!

Yes, a lot of it comes down to money, that cannot be argued really Unhappy
JCIcon...07-11-2012 @ 12:27 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Mark said:
It's not misleading. Replace NFL/NBA/MLB for football/cricket/rugby (our 3 major sports) and we do not have the same infrastructure to produce the talent that we could.

The big difference is that we dont put an emphasis on producing talent through our schools, but academies of professional organisations

whereas the US professional organisations, use the school system
LouisCostaIcon...07-11-2012 @ 12:47 
Member 3943, 15 posts
SQ 318, BP 215, DL 363
896.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
JC said:
Personally, I think sport for the 11-17 year olds is MASSIVE in schools in the US....and with being a good sportsman cames a certain standing (as in movies give the indication that "jocks" are very popular in high school)
In the UK, being a success in sport at 11-17, isn't necessarily a route to being popular. And in general, sport isn't given the same imp[ortance in UK high schools, as it is in the US

I would have assumed being strong, handsome and dominating any field of sport for an athlete would be universally accepted as popular in any society ?

What characteristics do you guys ( gals ) place on becoming popular/successful for your youth?

Obviously the US is highly competitive and ultra erect about our sports. (I've learned to be a much more passive fan than my younger more rabid years.) Infact I can hardly stand half of the fans I watch games with anyways.

But! I have seen the appetite for Soccer or Football ( Its still confusing to me how to refer to it correctly ) from you fans and I have to say...it is equally voracious!

To the comment about money. Yes. I agree 100 percent.

BUT!

One thing that is trending over here with the economy going on 5 years in the tank is public funding for weight rooms, strength coaches ect have decreased dramatically in the public sector almost back to zero. We are eliminating many programs/teams/coaches/funding as well.

That pushes a lot of athletes if they can afford it into the private sector of training such as Ironmill and the countess other facilities / philosophies / schools ect.

Which is of semi concern to me because I would rate our training as conservative with an emphasis on the fundamentals ( explosive jumping, squatting, bounding) It scares me to see the methods incorporated by some of my counterparts to be honest!
MarkIcon...07-11-2012 @ 13:25 
Member.
Member 2171, 1612 posts
JC said:
The big difference is that we dont put an emphasis on producing talent through our schools, but academies of professional organisations
whereas the US professional organisations, use the school system

Which is what I said Wink
JCIcon...07-11-2012 @ 13:31 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
LouisCosta said:
I would have assumed being strong, handsome and dominating any field of sport for an athlete would be universally accepted as popular in any society ?

If you're successful at sport within the school environement, no-one, except your teammates really knows about it unless you tell them!

In high school, if you play for the football/rugby teams, there are about 5 spectators (includidng teachers)

In the US, you get thousands to high school games

You guys just have a far greater emphasis at being successful in high school sports
hermanIcon...07-11-2012 @ 14:24 
hermit
Member 3904, 988 posts
brownbear said:
How does it cost a fortune?
It's significantly less than fitness first or David Lloyd and won an award for best sports facility in the west midlands either last year or the year before

Anything is cheaper than David Lloyd, lol.

I put up my costs in the "how much do you pay for gym" thread and it came up as one of the most expensive.

Dont want to make a massive derail, can talk to you about this in person or something.
OwenLIcon...07-11-2012 @ 14:49 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Good article mate Happy can only help but agree on the posts about American funding and facilities for sports far outdoing the UK's. Which makes me sad, and jealous. But nothing I can do Grin
davycummingsIcon...07-11-2012 @ 15:07 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
I would agree on the emphasis and funding (I havent been able to read VGs article, as it is blocked at my work, but will read it later)

I work with schools, and have been lucky enout to visit ones all over the world. Very few have particularly good sporting facilities outside the US. I was blown away by the schools gyms, physio rooms etc. One of the schools had every student in the school given their own training program to follow during timetabled hours, based on their own abilities and goals and written specifically for them.

The physio room was better equipped than my local hospitals one, and this was a state school, not a private one.

It is not as simple as just a UK/Europe - US thing though. Many Asian, African and Carribean schools I have visited had a much higher emphasis on sports than we do, though lacked the facilities.

European schools in general stack up pretty unfavourably in terms of emphasis on sports.
brownbearIcon...07-11-2012 @ 15:46 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
herman said:
Anything is cheaper than David Lloyd, lol.
I put up my costs in the "how much do you pay for gym" thread and it came up as one of the most expensive.
Dont want to make a massive derail, can talk to you about this in person or something.

David Lloyd is well expensive, but most gym goers (not
On this site) do train at virgin, David Lloyd, fitness first etc and they charge over 40/month.

The munrow is the best facility in the west midlands and I as a student pay £15/ month and as a non student you pay ?£27/month
pandionIcon...07-11-2012 @ 16:13 
Member 2407, 219 posts
LouisCosta said:
What characteristics do you guys ( gals ) place on becoming popular/successful for your youth?
Obviously the US is highly competitive and ultra erect about our sports. (I've learned to be a much more passive fan than my younger more rabid years.) Infact I can hardly stand half of the fans I watch games with anyways.
But! I have seen the appetite for Soccer or Football ( Its still confusing to me how to refer to it correctly ) from you fans and I have to say...it is equally voracious!
To the comment about money. Yes. I agree 100 percent.
BUT!
One thing that is trending over here with the economy going on 5 years in the tank is public funding for weight rooms, strength coaches ect have decreased dramatically in the public sector almost back to zero. We are eliminating many programs/teams/coaches/funding as well.
That pushes a lot of athletes if they can afford it into the private sector of training such as Ironmill and the countess other facilities / philosophies / schools ect.
Which is of semi concern to me because I would rate our training as conservative with an emphasis on the fundamentals ( explosive jumping, squatting, bounding) It scares me to see the methods incorporated by some of my counterparts to be honest!

Exactly, soccer has an overwhelming popularity and this is made worse by a very poor media coverage of other sport especially in newspapers. The other point is money, nothing comes close to the earning potential and perceived lifestyle football brings. Its genuine celebrity status that now more than ever is a driving motivation for kids.

We also finish high school at 16 and once out of school unless already a participant its unlikely (except recreational gym use) you'll be exposed to sport. This also means a lot of people who will physically mature into more obvious sporting ability slip through the net. On the other hand there are people who go on to university and take up new sports but its often past a time when they would or could consider it more than social.
JamieGIcon...07-11-2012 @ 16:38 
Tom's CNS is better than steroids
Member 2886, 2973 posts
SQ 190, BP 122.5, DL 210
522.5 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Not sure what i am adding here but...

As a 21 year old i look back and wish my school had a better emphasis on encouraging sports other than Football (which i always hated), and my school had sporting status or some BS with a million pound sports building built in my final year. All they did were attract adults to pay to use the machine only gym and buy some trampolines to entertain us kids Tongue

No form of weight training was even mentioned in my 5 years of high school, even in theory PE lessons.

Luckily I'm still quite young and am now trying my hand in a number of sports recreationally.

And as far as popularity, it was nothing to do with how good anyone was at sports like in American Pie. Just who smoked and swore the most or who managed to get served for alcohol.
LessThanLukeIcon...07-11-2012 @ 16:46 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Even in places where football isn't dominating its the same. In my area(south wales valleys) our schools didn't even have football teams, it's all rugby union and there is still no pushing to improve kids. Hell I'd say training to get stronger and faster is looked down upon more than anything before the age of 16. I can safetly say in my club rugby team I was the first person to start weight training properly and I was around 18.
JamieGIcon...07-11-2012 @ 16:51 
Tom's CNS is better than steroids
Member 2886, 2973 posts
SQ 190, BP 122.5, DL 210
522.5 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
LessThanLuke said:Even in places where football isn't dominating its the same. In my area(south wales valleys) our schools didn't even have football teams, it's all rugby union and there is still no pushing to improve kids. Hell I'd say training to get stronger and faster is looked down upon more than anything before the age of 16. I can safetly say in my club rugby team I was the first person to start weight training properly and I was around 18.

We weren't aloud to use the machine only, tiny gym until year 11 (16 years old).

Even then the only advice i ever heard a teacher say is "10+reps don't go heavy)

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions