REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 203 guests

would like like to see atleast some kind of British strongman title?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Villa_SteIcon...15-04-2011 @ 16:37 
stingy with his letters
Member 496, 668 posts
SQ 210, BP 190, DL 230
630.0 kgs @ 111kgs UnEq
couldnt you just put 'great' infront of the name to make it 'great britains strongest man'. i cant understand how its not run anymore, makes no sense 2 me
leeboyIcon...15-04-2011 @ 17:08 
do i love snipers? hellyeah
Member 2025, 883 posts
would be great to get it a bigger venue like arnolds or something, thats the only way i could imagine the prise money getting higher. get allot of the strength and body stuff all together in one place at one time.
BearIcon...15-04-2011 @ 19:03 
Member 2262, 173 posts
We are looking at the title of "Britains Strongest man" with nostalgia, whilst it would be great to have it still, it just isnt looking likely.

A differently titled comp to joe bloggs would have just the same attraction, its only to us interested in SM that it matters.

As has been said, if the location, prizes and attendance is right, the competitors will enter, so why are we bothered that its no longer called BSM?

The end result is we want to see who is the strongest man in GB, to me, what its called doesnt mean rat s**t, as we will all know what it means. Give it 5 years and we it would become the norm.

All imo of course Wink
RossAIcon...15-04-2011 @ 21:21 
i love food
Member 1042, 441 posts
SQ 265, BP 212.5, DL 325
802.5 kgs @ 129.1kgs UnEq
leeboy said:would be great to get it a bigger venue like arnolds or something, thats the only way i could imagine the prise money getting higher. get allot of the strength and body stuff all together in one place at one time.

yeah it could always be done at a big venue just like bodypower or the recent british grand prix. i for one would travel the country to see it. NEC maybe as it's in the middle, big venue. i reckon if there was maybe a powerlifting or weightlifting contest etc. with it you'd get pretty much all of sugden going to watch it!
JamesHIcon...15-04-2011 @ 21:24 
my buttocks hurt
Member 337, 2119 posts
SQ 300, BP 140, DL 305
745.0 kgs @ 125kgs Eq
As many have said, the BSM title holds a lot of nostalgia value. However, it will quickly lose this if/when superceded by another title.

The cachet attached to BSM had a lot to do with:
1. Progression - it was a route to bigger things (WSM)
2. TV coverage

A lot of the first depends on negotiation with other organisations. If, say the top 3 had guaranteed places to a Giants Live event, or even something like the Arnold Amateur championships (as opposed to the current, somewhat murky arrangement of the latter), this would be a huge incentive for most, especially those who are up-and-coming or who have been nearly there for a while.

TV coverage is tricky. There are plenty of possible ways of doing this, ranging from approaching broadcasters (probably not very successful??) to taking a risk and hiring/working with a small production company, then trying to sell the show to a broadcaster.

It's a difficult one, but undoubtedly most of us would love to see something!
JohnPowerIcon...15-04-2011 @ 23:08 
power by name , power by nature !
Member 439, 217 posts
From a legal view point how do IMG claim ownership of the bsm title ? in bodybuilding there was always different mr universe comps with nabba and the ifbb both using the title.
The first bsm comp was held in 1910 and was won by thomas inch,inch lost the the title later to aston.
some years later ron walker won a bsm title which this time i would persume would have been run by bawla.{this would be in the 1930s}
The first mr universe comp was run by the AAU and won by steve stanko,nabba started there one in 1948 won by john Grimek.
Can you claim legal ownership of a title of a comp that you were not the first to organize ?
GubernatrixIcon...15-04-2011 @ 23:27 
pointing the way
Member 1298, 631 posts
SQ 110, BP 65, DL 130
305.0 kgs @ 63kgs UnEq
Did a trade mark search on the Intellectual Property Office's website. The World's Strongest Man is registered by TWI but Britain's Strongest Man is not.

Interestingly, World Class Events from Sweden has very recently applied to register Strongest Man Alive.
richaboyIconcompetition10-05-2011 @ 12:21 
Member 2370, 12 posts
I feel that all strongmen established or new comers should qualify,just because there known and are britains or englands strongest man, but there are some very capable newcomers and who will surprise the top fella,s so all should have to qualify,even if they have big comps coming up or should not do bsm or esm
JCIcon...10-05-2011 @ 12:47 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Gubernatrix said:Did a trade mark search on the Intellectual Property Office's website. The World's Strongest Man is registered by TWI but Britain's Strongest Man is not.

Interestingly, World Class Events from Sweden has very recently applied to register Strongest Man Alive.

Britains Strongest Man TM was registetred to TWI, but was abandoned 13 July 2005

They does not in essence mean it is "free to use" though

Rights can be acquired through "use", although, obviously, I imagine TWI have not used the mark for sometime (and would need to prove they are doing so)
brocerslrdIcon...10-05-2011 @ 16:05 
Conan likes to listen to music
Member 1155, 3461 posts
SQ 150, BP 110, DL 210
470.0 kgs @ 88.8kgs UnEq
Just a thought and maybe not worth saying but sponsorship from a Britain based multinational company would, in my opinion be the only way to get enough money together to make this a real viable venture?
If i'm talking bollox then fine but it's my opinion
elitestrongmanIcon...10-05-2011 @ 19:34 
thats the way I do it, don't like it not my prob
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
JC said:
Britains Strongest Man TM was registetred to TWI, but was abandoned 13 July 2005
Rights can be acquired through "use", although, obviously, I imagine TWI have not used the mark for sometime (and would need to prove they are doing so)

Yes mate you are spot on, if someone would use the name/title TWI/MIG would take you to the cleaners! their hold the rights for TV. So a new name is the only way. But you need TV coverage for any competition to work and for athlete to move forward to worlds.

I have my England's final with qualifiers in North, South and Midlands, top 5 English, with a welsh champion, Scotish and Irish champion you would have 8 athl;etes with a bye given to any Brits who make WSM final 2010 that gives you 10 athletes, 6 events 1 day show, some where in the Midlands (easy to get too for most)
Great Britians strongest man challenge!

Can be do with a £15000 budget?

Just got to get TV intersted???
WILLSANIcon...10-05-2011 @ 19:44 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
JC said:

so do you mean someone could attempt to use the name BSM, but TWI could try and stop that by proving they are still using it? but if they cant prove that, it could be used?
JCIcon...10-05-2011 @ 21:34 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 10.05.2011 @ 21:35 PM by JC
WILLSAN said:
so do you mean someone could attempt to use the name BSM, but TWI could try and stop that by proving they are still using it? but if they cant prove that, it could be used?

I am not a trademark attorney....so do not not the finite details BUT

the BSM mark has lapsed, therefore TWI has no IP rights over that trademark

Even if the mark was "live", TWI would have to show "use" of the mark in the last 5 years....which I'm not sure they could!

so, if someone were to use the BSM trademark, TWI could not sue for infringement of their trademark (obviously), as it is not registered and live (ie. its dead in a legal sense)
WILLSANIcon...10-05-2011 @ 22:31 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
hell yeah! im putting on bsm next week. whos in? Grin
elitestrongmanIcon...11-05-2011 @ 20:23 
thats the way I do it, don't like it not my prob
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
JC said:
I am not a trademark attorney....so do not not the finite details BUT
the BSM mark has lapsed, therefore TWI has no IP rights over that trademark
Even if the mark was "live", TWI would have to show "use" of the mark in the last 5 years....which I'm not sure they could!
so, if someone were to use the BSM trademark, TWI could not sue for infringement of their trademark (obviously), as it is not registered and live (ie. its dead in a legal sense)

if you are correct, I'm sure it would have being done by now!

the title has only being dead for two years, I belive (please correct me if wrong) it has to be atleast 3 years before it can be challenged?

I'm up for giveing it a go,

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions