Opinion Piece Equipped Powerlifting and What is 'Real' Strength

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

IrishMarcIcon...25-04-2013 @ 23:42 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 25.04.2013 @ 23:43 PM by IrishMarc
unit94 said:Marc how would you go about getting multi-ply lifters to start using less equipment? It seems like a pretty difficult task.

It's probably an impossible task Unhappy .

They are so insular in their behaviour they are almost like a cult of strength athletes who don't want to hear any deriding opinions. Youtube has shown that calling them out doesn't do any good because then your just a hater.

Maybe challenging them to put up to their claims of being the "strongest" in the world and making them compete with non multiply lifters in a common rule set??

It's definitely a horribly difficult task but it could do enormous amounts of good for the sport.

Unequipped looks set to be the future of the sport just look at the popularity of it versus equipped lifting it just will take a while for it to permeate other spheres of influence.

Chad Waterbury, The liddlebridges et al show that there are people in the heart lands of multiply lifting who are questioning the status quo it just might take some time...
slimsimIcon...25-04-2013 @ 23:51 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
I had a conversation with a guy in the gym tonight who told me he was thinking about doing powerlifting. He said he'd squatted "5 plates and a 5 for 5" (ie. 230kg). When I quizzed him about depth he was adamant that he went to parallel and that he was a good squatter.

This is the same guy who I observed several times over the course of a few weeks doing squats to this depth.........and that's being generous

http://www.shape.com/sites/shape.com/files/imagecache/lists_li...
(fitty used for illustrative purposes only.....honest!)

Anyway, my point is, that he, like most general weight training individuals have no idea what "depth" is on a squat, let alone the difference a squat/bench/deadlift suit make. I think they see a s**t load of weight being moved and are impressed whether it's raw or not. I think it's only once you develop a personal preference for a type of lifting that another type becomes less impressive.

As a weightlifter I do not see even most raw low-bar powerlifting squats as being impressive compared to a high bar ass to grass olympic style squat due to the superior range of motion and general athleticism shown in an olympic squat. Does that make me right, nope, it's just my personal preference.

As long as the general public don't see a sport in turmoil then I don't think it matters whether there is 1 discipline or 10, people will simply gravitate to what they enjoy. I'm sure there are numerous sports which are similarly fragmented but we simply don't know about them.

Take clay pigeon shooting for example..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_pigeon_shooting

7 types of trap shooting!!! They are probably having this exact same argument on their equivalent of Sugden right now.
IrishMarcIcon...25-04-2013 @ 23:52 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
slimsim said:I had a conversation with a guy in the gym tonight who told me he was thinking about doing powerlifting. He said he'd squatted "5 plates and a 5 for 5" (ie. 230kg). When I quizzed him about depth he was adamant that he went to parallel and that he was a good squatter.

This is the same guy who I observed several times over the course of a few weeks doing squats to this depth.........and that's being generous

http://www.shape.com/sites/shape.com/files/imagecache/lists_li...
(fitty used for illustrative purposes only.....honest!)

Anyway, my point is, that he, like most general weight training individuals have no idea what "depth" is on a squat, let alone the difference a squat/bench/deadlift suit make. I think they see a s**t load of weight being moved and are impressed whether it's raw or not. I think it's only once you develop a personal preference for a type of lifting that another type becomes less impressive.

As a weightlifter I do not see even most raw low-bar powerlifting squats as being impressive compared to a high bar ass to grass olympic style squat due to the superior range of motion and general athleticism shown in an olympic squat. Does that make me right, nope, it's just my personal preference.

As long as the general public don't see a sport in turmoil then I don't think it matters whether there is 1 discipline or 10, people will simply gravitate to what they enjoy. I'm sure there are numerous sports which are similarly fragmented but we simply don't know about them.

Take clay pigeon shooting for example..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_pigeon_shooting

7 types of trap shooting!!! They are probably having this exact same argument on their equivalent of Sugden right now.

Very good post.
unit94Icon...25-04-2013 @ 23:54 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
IrishMarc said:
It's probably an impossible task Unhappy .
They are so insular in their behaviour they are almost like a cult of strength athletes who don't want to hear any deriding opinions. Youtube has shown that calling them out doesn't do any good because then your just a hater.
Maybe challenging them to put up to their claims of being the "strongest" in the world and making them compete with non multiply lifters in a common rule set??
It's definitely a horribly difficult task but it could do enormous amounts of good for the sport.
Unequipped looks set to be the future of the sport just look at the popularity of it versus equipped lifting it just will take a while for it to permeate other spheres of influence.
Chad Waterbury, The liddlebridges et al show that there are people in the heart lands of multiply lifting who are questioning the status quo it just might take some time...

Raw does seem to be the popular thing currently. In 15 years there might be alot less multiply lifters as the old guard retire and younger guys aren't coming through to take there place, time will tell I guess.
AdamCIcon...26-04-2013 @ 00:21 
Member 1519, 1476 posts
SQ 320, BP 260, DL 320
900.0 kgs @ 117kgs Eq
unit94 said:
Raw does seem to be the popular thing currently. In 15 years there might be alot less multiply lifters as the old guard retire and younger guys aren't coming through to take there place, time will tell I guess.

Or a lot of the younger lifters who came into the sport raw may have moved up to equipped lifting

Maybe part of the reason why raw seems more popular is that theres a lot of new blood into the sport lately, who haven't been exposed to equipped lifting yet

I still don't understand why so many of the raw brigade are constantly slagging off equipped lifters and in some cases demanding that equipped be abolished and only their way should be allowed

I've competed both raw and single ply and plan on competing in multiply also in the future, and quite frankly i prefer equipped lifting to raw, its my personal preference just like every other lifter is entitled to their own preferences

no-one is better or right because of their preferences and IMO rather then all this bickering about raw equipped multiply etc the sport would be better off if people put their efforts into promoting the sport and trying to get new blood into it regardless of what equipment choices they make

i also think people forget that equipment has pretty much always been in the sport and always will be

i think a bigger issue in the sport than equipment is the extremely poor and substandard judging we see in some federations
unit94Icon...26-04-2013 @ 00:24 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10449 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Why do you enjoy lifting equipped more than unequipped?

AdamC said:
Or a lot of the younger lifters who came into the sport raw may have moved up to equipped lifting
Maybe part of the reason why raw seems more popular is that theres a lot of new blood into the sport lately, who haven't been exposed to equipped lifting yet
I still don't understand why so many of the raw brigade are constantly slagging off equipped lifters and in some cases demanding that equipped be abolished and only their way should be allowed
I've competed both raw and single ply and plan on competing in multiply also in the future, and quite frankly i prefer equipped lifting to raw, its my personal preference just like every other lifter is entitled to their own preferences
no-one is better or right because of their preferences and IMO rather then all this bickering about raw equipped multiply etc the sport would be better off if people put their efforts into promoting the sport and trying to get new blood into it regardless of what equipment choices they make
i also think people forget that equipment has pretty much always been in the sport and always will be
i think a bigger issue in the sport than equipment is the extremely poor and substandard judging we see in some federations
LeedsMiniPowerIcon...26-04-2013 @ 00:29 
Getting fat is just as dumb as using PED's
Member 3387, 2532 posts
SQ 275, BP 200, DL 290
765.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
For me I like how raw lifting means more to Joe Public and they can relate to it. Other than that I don't really agree with any of your points.

You mention cost for example, go get into Motorcross, Cycling, Sailing etc it will cost a damn site more.

Equipped lifting is a skill in itself and takes a certain mindset to go through the pain etc.

IMO the public prefer to see equipped lifting and the big weights that are shifted.

And this all comes from a "raw" lifter!!

Also doesn't a belt count as equipment?
IrishMarcIcon...26-04-2013 @ 00:34 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.04.2013 @ 00:51 AM by IrishMarc
AdamC said:

I agree with the judging point whole heartedly however I don't agree with your assessment of new blood coming into the sport. Just look at GBPF as an example

Attendance last year for British Powerlifting Champs (eq) = 30

Attendance last year for British Powerlifting Champs (uneq) = 114

The last comp I did (scottish open) had 40 competitors 35 of which were unequipped and 5 of which were equipped. There was no best lifter prize for the unequipped class who made up 87.5% of the entry fund.

Uneq is easily more popular at a grass roots level in the UK at least.

I can appreciate the lifts and achievements of lifters in equipment but it isn't instantly relatable. Uneq has so much going for it and not much against it, it would save you all a fortune on suits for a start Grin.

I take the point on personal preference and concede it readily my contentions is that it is not the best thing for the sport.

Unified rules and a level playing field are.
IrishMarcIcon...26-04-2013 @ 00:39 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
LeedsMiniPower said:For me I like how raw lifting means more to Joe Public and they can relate to it. Other than that I don't really agree with any of your points.

You mention cost for example, go get into Motorcross, Cycling, Sailing etc it will cost a damn site more.

Equipped lifting is a skill in itself and takes a certain mindset to go through the pain etc.

IMO the public prefer to see equipped lifting and the big weights that are shifted.

And this all comes from a "raw" lifter!!

Also doesn't a belt count as equipment?

I'm sure a belt does count as a form of equipment I would happily lift with out it if it was conciousness to do so.

Equipped lifting is indeed a skill in itself and it is far more painful than unequipped.

I don't know from my own interactions with people who don't lift if that is in fact the reality of the matter (this is only my inference and probably not reality) but most people just piss themselves laughing when they see a fat man in a bench shirt.

Cycling, sailing etc are all prohibitive sports because of the equipment powerlifting can be done for the cost of a gym membership there is no need to encure more cost.
LeedsMiniPowerIcon...26-04-2013 @ 00:53 
Getting fat is just as dumb as using PED's
Member 3387, 2532 posts
SQ 275, BP 200, DL 290
765.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
Cost doesn't equal prohibitive? More people are into cycling/racing than powerlifting. (Not getting picky but imo cost doesn't come into a hobby/passion,if you want to do it you will)
IrishMarcIcon...26-04-2013 @ 00:56 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
LeedsMiniPower said:Cost doesn't equal prohibitive? More people are into cycling/racing than powerlifting. (Not getting picky but imo cost doesn't come into a hobby/passion,if you want to do it you will)

TBF cycling and racing are a s**t load cooler than powerlifting and have a much wider exposure. Easy examples

Football vs Anything

Rugby vs Lacross

Cricket vs Equestrian

Enduracne Running vs Rowing

etc...
IrishMarcIcon...26-04-2013 @ 00:58 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
I agree with your point that if you want to do it you will 100%. Point being you need to be given the chance to want to do it.

If you had to pony up 500-700 quid worth of s**t to play a game of football for the first time I would be willing to be bet it would be less popular Grin
force10Icon...26-04-2013 @ 01:02 
Drugs cheat
Member 3860, 630 posts
SQ 335, BP 210, DL 330
875.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.04.2013 @ 01:04 AM by force10
IrishMark I think your just abit disgruntled because you have a s**t Raw total and you cant afford any decent equipment Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
IrishMarcIcon...26-04-2013 @ 01:05 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
force10 said:IrishMark I think your just abit disgruntled because you have a s**t Raw total and you cant afford any deent equipment Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

lol, perhaps that is the underlying reason for all of my resentments in the world.
Ramsay777Icon...26-04-2013 @ 01:20 
Member 3942, 1107 posts
SQ 200, BP 160, DL 315
675.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
Surely an easy way to go about this would be 1 big federation, in which all powerlifting is governed, with 4 categories: raw tested, raw untested, equipped tested, equipped untested. Obviously the weight classes within these.

This would keep everyone happy as the main problem (IMO, consistancy between comps) would be much better, which lets people be more able to compare themselves to others, etc. And everyone can still lift how they wish. Just means everyone's under the same tree with the same rules, rather than all these (usually american) federations that are breaking world records every meet, with different standards to other comps.

That's the only way that i would have thought would get powerlifting into the olympics too. Though, im unsure about the untested guys/ girls..... Grin

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions