Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumInjuries & RehabilitationLower back pain when squatting

Lower back pain when squatting

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Title says it all really.
I'm getting quite bad back pain on lower left when squating. So today i thought i'd play about and see what happened/made it worse.
Snatch squats qith empty bar seem to show a lack of flexability in my hips, couldn't get paralel let alone deep.
Does this sound like it could be causeing the pain in my back?
i would have thought so. my back pain (which sounds simmilar) was caused by weak abs and not very mobile hips
have you tried stretching your hip flexors out? ive started to do it and it has helped my achey back
dan302 said:have you tried stretching your hip flexors out? ive started to do it and it has helped my achey back

Yeah mate. I just think i probably need to do more. It's only my left side which is a little odd
I have hgad no end of grief with this. I made a thread on it, look in my profile on thread history to see it, I described in detail what made it worse/better, you may have the same thing

I think I have solved it now, after months of pain and 2 trips to the physio. I think it is just tight piriformis, which pinches the sciatic nerve and causes pain in the last couple of inches of depth. It's unbearable, if it happens I have to instantly dump the weight. Always at the bottom of the squat just coming up out the hole

good luck
When I experienced this it was down to an issue with my quadratus lumborum (QL)

I found this to be the most effective stretch but theres plenty more around that might help if that one doesnt.

well anything's worth a try so i'll spend more time streatching before next squat session
i find stretching the hamstrings everyday plus Hip and glute stretching helps me loads. another thing i do is to squat down som my hamstring are resting on my Calfs and sit there for a while i repeat it a few times and it seems to help me before i squat.
Villa_Ste
think i might try them stretches and throw in a few sit ups, might help with my glass back
Strengthen your upper back
Strengthen your abs
Stretch everything hips quads hams back chest just everything

If your still having trouble is go see a decent physio one with sport or lifting clients already being treated
milsy said:Strengthen your upper back
Strengthen your abs
Stretch everything hips quads hams back chest just everything

If your still having trouble is go see a decent physio one with sport or lifting clients already being treated

how will strengthening all these things help? chest for example?
Having a stronger upper back and chest will support the bar better and weight betters d stop it from caving in. Will also help you maintain good form too. Same for the core but it will so support your spine
oh yeah ofcourse
Having thought about this more I can link it to a couple of things. I get lower left back ache when running, I pulled it last year at Yorkshires U90, I miss loaded a deadlift 10kg heavier on left side a couple weeks ago and didn't notice until i tried to pull it and tweaked my back
Are you hyperextending on deadlifts

You are here: HomeForumInjuries & RehabilitationLower back pain when squatting
Return to top View Desktop Site