REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 213 guests

Do you think Strongman is heading in the right direction?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

terryhollandsIcon...16-03-2012 @ 18:43 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Stetec said:
Totally agree. Thats why a good example would be lastman standing over head and dead lifts to find strongest statically, then a couple of moving events such as farmers and huesavelt (?) stone for moving strength then a nice round of atlas stones or loading some akward shape objects. All bases covered :-)

I totally agree. This is strongman I can get on board with.
deleted2_20210523Icon...16-03-2012 @ 18:45 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
shortandmightyIcon...16-03-2012 @ 18:53 
Aiming for a 250 squat by the end of 2012
Member 1989, 3168 posts
SQ 240, BP 140, DL 270
650.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
I totally agree. This is strongman I can get on board with.

Obviously I don't know your situation Terry, but would you consider getting together with some of the other guys and some promoters to put on a comp with the events the competitors etc would like to see and try to get it televised to show the WSM organisers etc. how it should be done. I for one would like to see the sport get more tv time and greater exposure and I think that arguably the one of the Greatest UK strongmen and probably best known could be the one to help move it forward.
shortandmightyIcon...16-03-2012 @ 18:55 
Aiming for a 250 squat by the end of 2012
Member 1989, 3168 posts
SQ 240, BP 140, DL 270
650.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
kirkynick said:
That sounds good. But we still need new events. If the sport becomes so standardised with regard events it loses some of its appeal IMO

Maybe the Sugdeners can put our heads together to come up with some new events to suggest to the WSM organisers.
pandionIcon...16-03-2012 @ 21:25 
Member 2407, 219 posts
I read a long thread about this on IM forum a few months back, I think terry commented actually? My opinion is that too much pressure is put on big static numbers and that there is not enough variety in events now. I'm a fan of big guys doing big numbers but find myself watching old footage more and more. I liked the combination of some highland games throws and power/weightlifting style events mixed in with stuff normal folk could relate too, truck pull, arm over arm, loading etc. Now so much has become standardised that to be honest most recent scl giants live etc is boring.

My last point is that most are aware of the limited financial rewards in SM, the pressure guys are putting themselves under for what is mainly a personal triumph and title is ridiculous. The guys don't get paid enough money to take the risks they do in the NFL or even an Olympic athlete if they chose too. Surely a more rounded approach where the best strength athlete rather than biggest freak is rewarded is a better prospect? I guess this is all influenced by the people that run the biggest shows and what they think viewers want?
PAGANIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:03 
I took about £4 out of Sooty's bottom
Member 685, 8719 posts
SQ 225, BP 150, DL 290
665.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Sorry if I'm wrong but I understood this thread to be about drug abuse in the sport. I personally think it's really naive to think anything has changed in this regard since WSM started.

I don't see how a WSM competitor dying would change anything. JPS died young, Curtis Leffler a former WSM competitor is no longer with us , OD Wilson is dead etc etc

Don't understand the comments about local comps using too heavy weigths either. If people turn up and lift them ( and they do) then surely the weights are right.

Is the reality that the days of WSM being freak show is over as the sport is becoming more competitive and that some lads in local shows will be able to match the pro's on their good events. Doesn't change the fact that the top guys are the strongest all rounders out there but I see no reason hold back lower level comps.

Maybe I'm getting this thread all wrong Confused
martinbIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:09 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Was a bit about that yeah, but in the way that I think the comps are making it necessary for guys to push the envelope more

Some interesting other stuff came up too though
JackRevansIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:12 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
i think the rout its going down, (if it is going down a rout) is just fine. however thats only my opinion and i know a lot less than pretty much everyone else on this thread so i might be missing some major points
PAGANIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:25 
I took about £4 out of Sooty's bottom
Member 685, 8719 posts
SQ 225, BP 150, DL 290
665.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
martinb said:Was a bit about that yeah, but in the way that I think the comps are making it necessary for guys to push the envelope more

Some interesting other stuff came up too though

So to cut to the chase do you imagine the top guys these days are using more drugs than those of yesteryear?

Pretty much the same drugs are available now as they where then. Arguably it was better back then as they would be pharma grade rather than underground lab gear.

What would stop a guy 'pushing the envelope' then as opposed to now? If more equals better then why wouldn't joe competitor just do more back then? people's desire to win hasn't changed.

If cardio became more immportant then the drugs used may change but the level of abuse would stay the same IMO.Cyclist are right up there with the underground hero's of drug abuse...
stainlessIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:27 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
People have come to expect to see records broken constantly,even with advances made in training,nutrition and performance enhancement it just can't be sustainable.In order to keep pushing the boundaries of human performance athletes in all sports not just strength athletics are willing to go to greater lengths to feed those expectations.
We have at some point to stop looking for heavier and heavier weights and be happy with seeing who is the strongest man for that year without the expectation that each year must surpass the previous one.
I also would like to see athletes prize money reflect more accurately not only the punishment and dedication the sport demands but the entertainment value they generate for the production company.
Who could blame top athletes from leaving the sport early to pursue other things while still in their prime when the sacrifices that they and their families make are not balanced with financial return.
rick89Icon...16-03-2012 @ 22:31 
I have a fear of getting strong
Member 911, 764 posts
SQ 265, BP 170, DL 315
750.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
PAGAN said:
So to cut to the chase do you imagine the top guys these days are using more drugs than those of yesteryear?
Pretty much the same drugs are available now as they where then. Arguably it was better back then as they would be pharma grade rather than underground lab gear.
What would stop a guy 'pushing the envelope' then as opposed to now? If more equals better then why wouldn't joe competitor just do more back then? people's desire to win hasn't changed.
If cardio became more immportant then the drugs used may change but the level of abuse would stay the same IMO.Cyclist are right up there with the underground hero's of drug abuse...

this is very true statement

but lets not forget that even if drug use is of the exact level now as was then the guys are pushing their bodys to the limits with food/calories to possibly an unhealthy level to try to role with the bg boys at heavy shows rather than staying fitter and healthier whike using PED's or not
martinbIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:45 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
PAGAN said:

Actually yeah, your probably right

My view of the limit weights slightly toned down and more events leading to a slightly healthier lifestyle was probably naive
terryhollandsIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:46 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
PAGAN said:

Don't understand the comments about local comps using too heavy weigths either. If people turn up and lift them ( and they do) then surely the weights are right.

I disagree. I watched the videos from for example champions of champions and although the guys did the events a lot were struggled with. IMO it's not good watching guys struggling, maybe to us cause we understand the sport but to others all they will think is these guys are s**t which they clearly aren't.
terryhollandsIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:49 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
PED use in most cases is nothing compared to the old days. I know this from talking to strongmen from yesteryear.

Don't forget we have to have medicals each year for wsm. If you're not healthy you don't compete simply as that
FAT_SAMIcon...16-03-2012 @ 22:57 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
martinb said:
At the top level, the likes of Shaw, Hollands, Jenkins, Shaw weigh 180+

Poundstone has beaten all these guys and weighs 150.

Maruisz used to beat them at 140kg bodyweight aswell.

I'll always be a fan of the shorter more muscular looking strongman that manages to keep up / even win against the genetic freaks. More impressive to me. Happy

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions