REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 191 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitrugby world cup

rugby world cup

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

MalloneIcon...16-10-2011 @ 15:37 
Has achieved nothing.
Member 1386, 292 posts
Martin1956 said:Mallone, you seem to have misunderstood my point. I'm not particularly wanting more tries, and I far prefer 15 a side to 7 a side. My point is that tries should count for more and kicks count for less. Rick, I bow to your historical knowledge, but in the modern game the try has become widely accepted as the principal method of scoring. I just find it incongruous that a team that scores 3 unconverted tries (maybe all great flowing moves that culminate in a try in the corner) can be beaten by a team that scores no tries but knocks over 6 penalties from around the 10 metre line for offences as trivial as accidental offside. I expect all the 'purists' to pile in on me, but thinking outside the box is an interesting hobby Happy

Perhaps you haven't heard of the "Rugby union bonus points system" then? Penalties are not always given for "trivial" reasons BTW. In Martin Johnson's first few games in charge, indisciplined England gave away lots of penalties and suffered the consequences. I don't remember any Yahoos at the time complaining that they were only "trivial" penalties.

HINT Is there a link between a penalty and indiscipline/making mistakes under pressure.
Martin1956Icon...16-10-2011 @ 15:41 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7743 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
IainT said:Not piling in Martin, but the penalty exists to penalise foul play. A team with a reliable try-stopping defence could foul in defence all day if there was no kicking penalty to stop them doing it.

I understand that Iain. Is it not possible that there could be other 'penalties' rather than a kick at goal that would still punish and maybe encourage more tries? Maybe a scrum 10/20 metres nearer the line than where the offence occurred, more free kicks, more use of penalty tries, sins bins for persistent offenders, etc., etc.? In today's match there was a penalty given for an accidental offside and it just strikes me that a 3 point penalty is an over-punishment for a relatively minor offence...
Martin1956Icon...16-10-2011 @ 15:44 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7743 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Mallone said:
Perhaps you haven't heard of the "Rugby union bonus points system" then? Penalties are not always given for "trivial" reasons BTW. In Martin Johnson's first few games in charge, indisciplined England gave away lots of penalties and suffered the consequences. I don't remember any Yahoos at the time complaining that they were only "trivial" penalties.
HINT Is there a link between a penalty and indiscipline/making mistakes under pressure.

Yes I have, but the bonus system doesn't affect the result of a match, it's to do with the points awarded for a win, which is a completely different thing to what I was discussing...
MalloneIcon...16-10-2011 @ 15:59 
Has achieved nothing.
Member 1386, 292 posts
Martin1956 said:
Yes I have, but the bonus system doesn't affect the result of a match, it's to do with the points awarded for a win, which is a completely different thing to what I was discussing...

You seem to think that all penalties are trivial because a soft one was given today and should therefore be done away with. Penalties cannot be done away with, there has never been an ELV suggesting they be done away with, they are an important part of Rugby. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_%28rugby%29

Can you find any ElV or any serious discussions at the IRB suggesting what you have suggested? Rugby is not baseball or soccer.
Martin1956Icon...16-10-2011 @ 16:26 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7743 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Mallone said:
You seem to think that all penalties are trivial because a soft one was given today and should therefore be done away with.

No I don't! By all means disagree, but all means debate, but that's three times in a row that you've either answered a question I haven't asked or misrepresented what I've written.
ShaunIcon...16-10-2011 @ 16:30 
Member 1668, 1499 posts
SQ 186, BP 102, DL 211
499.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Mallone said:[/b
What you should be asking of Martin, is the difference between Northern hemisphere and Southern hemisphere rugby.

Northern Hemisphere rugby is played during the winter, primarily in cold, dark and muddy conditions, and doesn't feature the sort of running you more often see in Southern Hemisphere rugby.

I've long believed that we should change Union here to be a summer sport. It'd do wonders for the sport. League did it and haven't looked back.
streakIcon...16-10-2011 @ 16:59 
they call him the streak
Member 2002, 400 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 130, DL 240
552.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Shaun said:
Northern Hemisphere rugby is played during the winter, primarily in cold, dark and muddy conditions, and doesn't feature the sort of running you more often see in Southern Hemisphere rugby.
I've long believed that we should change Union here to be a summer sport. It'd do wonders for the sport. League did it and haven't looked back.

Great point. Rugby and football should be summer sports IMO (well feb to oct). I'm sure there are historical reasons for them being winter sports but the only reason I can think, these days, of any problem would be forcing kids to choose between rugby/footie and cricket.
CuddlesIcon...16-10-2011 @ 17:41 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Shaun said:

I think the winter/summer thing makes a big difference (you only have to look at the type of rugby played at the start/end of the season vs the middle in the Premiership to see this). BUT, the breakdown is typically reffed very differently and this does make a big difference.

Martin, i can completely see what you're saying, I guess my simple response would be why do we need to encourage more tries? As a fan/coach/ref I love rugby just how it is. (well actually i dont, the IRB need to make the breakdown more consistent, some refs need to reread the rules about hands in a ruck, think: Pocock vs SA).

It's also worth noting that there isnt a lack of tries in the Premiership, Super rugby, Heineken Cup etc. I think the World Cup pressure bowl and the knowledge that one defeat and you're out changes the game somewhat. Similarly you dont see a huge number of goals in a typical world cup in football but you see plenty in the premiership/champions league etc.

Any lack of tries across rugby stems from the fact that professionalism improved defenses significantly more than it has improved attacks. I don't have a problem with the goal kicking/penalty situation but I do appreciate that as someone who has spent all my life in and around rugby i have a much better understanding of the game (and so can enjoy it more) than perhaps the potential or average fan.
MalloneIcon...16-10-2011 @ 18:04 
Has achieved nothing.
Member 1386, 292 posts
Martin1956 said:
No I don't! By all means disagree, but all means debate, but that's three times in a row that you've either answered a question I haven't asked or misrepresented what I've written.

This is what you said and I will quote it below :-

Martin1956 said:I just find it incongruous that a team that scores 3 unconverted tries (maybe all great flowing moves that culminate in a try in the corner) can be beaten by a team that scores no tries but knocks over 6 penalties from around the 10 metre line for offences as trivial as accidental offside.

Other than you demonstrating a profound lack of understanding of rugby rules, (I don't even know where to start) how many tries did France score vs Wales yesterday, and who won the game? So according to your interpretation/debate then the game should have been awarded to Wales?

Do a little digging on RWC (Rugby World Cups) and dropped goals/penalties e.g. 2003 Rugby World Cup Final
MalloneIcon...16-10-2011 @ 18:10 
Has achieved nothing.
Member 1386, 292 posts
Cuddles said:
It's also worth noting that there isnt a lack of tries in the Premiership, Super rugby, Heineken Cup etc. I think the World Cup pressure bowl and the knowledge that one defeat and you're out changes the game somewhat. Similarly you dont see a huge number of goals in a typical world cup in football but you see plenty in the premiership/champions league etc.

Any lack of tries across rugby stems from the fact that professionalism improved defenses significantly more than it has improved attacks. I don't have a problem with the goal kicking/penalty situation but I do appreciate that as someone who has spent all my life in and around rugby i have a much better understanding of the game (and so can enjoy it more) than perhaps the potential or average fan.

The IRB have all these ELVs aimed at improving attacking play :-

outgoing IRB president Syd Millar explained that in his opinion amendments were needed because delays in the release of the ball from the contest for possession were having adverse effects. In his view, the domination of defence over attack was slowing the continuity of play, exemplified by what some viewers considered a dour final match in which no tries were scored.
CuddlesIcon...16-10-2011 @ 18:21 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
I'm not sure if you are arguing in agreement of my point or against in Mallone but as usual, you are arguing.

I think Martin was trying to start a discussion, I'm not sure you need to respond quite so aggressively.
Martin1956Icon...16-10-2011 @ 18:31 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7743 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Cuddles said:I'm not sure if you are arguing in agreement of my point or against in Mallone but as usual, you are arguing.

I think Martin was trying to start a discussion, I'm not sure you need to respond quite so aggressively.

You thought right Wink
MalloneIcon...16-10-2011 @ 18:41 
Has achieved nothing.
Member 1386, 292 posts
Cuddles said:I'm not sure if you are arguing in agreement of my point or against in Mallone but as usual, you are arguing.

I was pointing to the fact that the IRB are making changes aimed at improving attacking rugby/more tries etc which may not obvious to everyone. I may have come out a bit aggressively but all these changes including the penalty he mentioned are aimed at improving attacking play.
JamesHIcon...16-10-2011 @ 19:40 
my buttocks hurt
Member 337, 2119 posts
SQ 300, BP 140, DL 305
745.0 kgs @ 125kgs Eq
Mallone said:
I was pointing to the fact that the IRB are making changes aimed at improving attacking rugby/more tries etc which may not obvious to everyone. I may have come out a bit aggressively but all these changes including the penalty he mentioned are aimed at improving attacking play.

But, regardless of this, what do you squat?
EDCLARKEIcon...16-10-2011 @ 20:09 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10990 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Carl said:Ed you can join me in s**t rwc prediction corner lol

lol pretty much everything I've predicted has been wrong.

Cant see anyway the all blacks wont win now , but thats been said at every world cup since 87.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitrugby world cup
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions