Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitrugby world cup

rugby world cup

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

streak said:England deserve to lose purely for playing in all black.

You deserve some kind of award for such insightful comments
streak
drew said:
You deserve some kind of award for such insightful comments

You deserve an award for over looking England's decision to wear all black. Happy
tryst
drew said:We have the easiest group by far

Argentina be outta sight if they could kick straight!
tryst said:
drew said:We have the easiest group by far

Argentina be outta sight if they could kick straight!

If only we could give away some more penalties.
tryst
Lots of pens missed by both!

Argies giving away loads, their chances slipping now....
Poor performance giving away far too many penalties

BUT, they ground out a win....the 2003 vintage even struggled in their group

Given the amount of penalties missed, you could conclude that the fact that it was indoors, must have effected the flight of the ball quite considerably

Youngs has to start against Scotland

If fit, Moody must play at flanker, with Easter making way to accomodate Haskell at 8
An opportunity missed for the Pumas to score a win over an indisciplined England. How they did not convert those penalties is beyond belief, though to be fair even Wilkinson missed 4 or 5 in a row.
I missed the game, was it as bad as it sounded or were the Puma's a little stronger than expected?

Like Traps Im not overly concerned and would agree with the selections. I never want to see Haskell at 7, I never want to see anyone other than a 7 at 7. He should move to 8 if Moody is fit.

Wasnt Youngs on the bench to protect him in what was expected to be a very physical game?
Cuddles said:I missed the game, was it as bad as it sounded or were the Puma's a little stronger than expected?

Like Traps Im not overly concerned and would agree with the selections. I never want to see Haskell at 7, I never want to see anyone other than a 7 at 7. He should move to 8 if Moody is fit.

Wasnt Youngs on the bench to protect him in what was expected to be a very physical game?

The Pumas lost to Wales in a warm-up game so no one expected them to come out like that. If you add the usual England indiscipline then there was a chance for them to win. There are highlights on the ITV website if you missed the game.
IainT
Post Edited: 10.09.2011 @ 17:48 PM by IainT
Cuddles said:I missed the game, was it as bad as it sounded or were the Puma's a little stronger than expected?

England were bad, the Puma's didn't really show anything that will worry any of the other big teams. Especially as Lawes did a demolition job on several of their better players.

Moody isn't really a 7. He's played a lot at 7, and he does aspects of it really well, but he is what sometimes gets called a 6.5. Schalk Burger is another who falls into that camp for me. About the only capped out and out 7 we have now is Fatty Armitage, who clearly doesn't think he has a future with England and was used poorly in the games he has played. We haven't got a McCaw, Brussow or a Pocock, and the apparent thinking was that law changes around the tackle would make the latter two less effective, which doesn't really seem to be the case now. Have to wonder if England would pick a Brussow anyway, make the whole 'Neil Back is too small' mistake all over again. Overall though, I did think that Croft/Haskell/Easter would be our best selection, but not convinced now and will be glad when Moody is fit again.

Haskell isn't there as an 8 yet, he may get there and we will see him play there against Romania at least. Easter had a terrible day, but he's a touch more dependable overall than Haskell can manage at 8. Unfortunately for my biases, the back row player with the most question marks right now is Croft, but our lineout would fall apart without him.
Agree about Moody but he is a hell of lot more of a seven than Haskell. With the current England back row I would be looking to pick the three that the opposition would least like to play against and i think for most, that is Moody at seven. I rate Haskell and have enjoyed watching him improve while in France. For me, he gets the nod over Easter simply because with Easter, more times than not you will get an average performance. That wont win you any World Cup. Haskell has the ability to explode into a game and cause havoc. I suspect Croft and Haskell will be competing for one place though and Croft will likely get the nod.

It's a shame Rees has suffered with injuries as I thought he had a good chance of developing into a 'proper' seven.
IainT
Rees is done now though I suspect. Shame. The other chap who could be an out and out 7 despite playing most of his rugby until last season at 6, is Robshaw. Apparently England coaches think he is too slow though.

If it does come down to Moody and Easter plus one of Haskell or Croft, it's difficult to see who would get the nod. Haskell covers the whole back row, Croft covers lock (sort of) so either of them might find themselves on the bench. Croft needs a good performance soon though.
Ireland v USA is on now... May as well see what man on man action I can enjoy

47.30 looks aggressive (scrappy?) and fun!

Let's go!
Cuddles said:Agree about Moody but he is a hell of lot more of a seven than Haskell. With the current England back row I would be looking to pick the three that the opposition would least like to play against and i think for most, that is Moody at seven. I rate Haskell and have enjoyed watching him improve while in France. For me, he gets the nod over Easter simply because with Easter, more times than not you will get an average performance. That wont win you any World Cup. Haskell has the ability to explode into a game and cause havoc. I suspect Croft and Haskell will be competing for one place though and Croft will likely get the nod.

It's a shame Rees has suffered with injuries as I thought he had a good chance of developing into a 'proper' seven.

Easter is dependable, in a way that you can always count on him to be average, without ever being dreadful

No dynamism or impact in the loose though for me....something a No. 8 must posses. I also think he's too slow to be a top class 8

No team has played outstandingly well yet. NZ were good for 40 against Tonga, whilst the Aussies were good in the 2nd half against Italy. Wales should have beaten SA, and France, Ireland & Scotland were pretty poor against weak opposition

Dont think the tournament will really get going till the quarters
never does, there's always a few near upsets, but no one ever quite manages it

You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitrugby world cup
Return to top View Desktop Site