Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosGrip Training

Grip Training

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Being someone who only trains at the gym, for now, I need ways to improve my grip strength. Previously I've stuck to doing barbell forearm curls.

Now I need to really work on it to aid my deadlift and what I've planned is:

1. Pinching plates for time
2. Holding the disc side of a barbell for time
3. Forearm curls

This may not be the best way so your input is much appreciated!
MrSmall
towel pullups
farmers walks
philnosko
Personally all I would do is hold a barbell loaded to more than I can deadlift and hold it, just put it in a power rack and set the pins a few inches below lockout. A few years ago I had grip issues with my deadlift and did pinch grips/farmers walk/wrist curls etc.... But only when I did this exercise did my grip strength go up.
philnosko said:
Personally all I would do is hold a barbell loaded to more than I can deadlift and hold it, just put it in a power rack and set the pins a few inches below lockout. A few years ago I had grip issues with my deadlift and did pinch grips/farmers walk/wrist curls etc.... But only when I did this exercise did my grip strength go up.

Cheers. Will try that.

Would you still advise doing the other stuff?
Another method is to hang from a bar for as long as you can, with weight attached to you.
hang from a pull up bar with extra weight for time

General heavy upper back exercises

Double overhand axle deadlifts

Pinch grips

Double overhand barbell holds
Robbo said:
hang from a pull up bar with extra weight for time

General heavy upper back exercises

Double overhand axle deadlifts

Pinch grips

Double overhand barbell holds

double overhand deadlifts are killers Grin
philnosko said:

This is spot on advise IMO if you are trying to improve your grip strength for the deadlift.
philnosko
Namonster said:

Cheers. Will try that.

Would you still advise doing the other stuff?

No. No need IMO
Happy
philnosko said:

This is the way I train my grip up.

Are you training grip for powerlifting, strongman or do you just train? Unless you are doing strongman I reckon you would be sound with what phil suggests.

I obviously know naff all about strongman but with a lot of those events grip is really important so you might have to train it a bit more.
i think this is what i will do so the double overhand grip for deadlift doesn't fail
Thing said:
i think this is what i will do so the double overhand grip for deadlift doesn't fail

Or you could stop being a girl and hook gripWink
little_a said:
Thing said:

Or you could stop being a girl and hook gripWink

true haven't realy tried that one yet. suppose i should just get use to it now then on the deadlift farmers and cleans. thanks for the kind encouraging words andy
Ever since I hit puberty my grip has been awesome
MattGriff said:
Ever since I hit puberty my grip has been awesome

you ambidextrous c**t

You are here: HomeForumTraining & Training VideosGrip Training
Return to top View Desktop Site