Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

RickIcon...24-12-2020 @ 13:04 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Ham said:
Interesting, what do you make of the links Willisan posted previously about the lockdowns being ineffective?

I think they're a combination of cherry-picked, misinterpreted, and honestly and dishonestly mistaken. Not because I'm an expert, I'm not, but because the overwhelming consensus of the experts and the obvious effectiveness of it as a strategy, both in numbers seen and in principle.

The Lancet fwiw explain that Taiwan had no lockdown so that's not exactly what they did...They did appear to close their borders and check more people early on but they never went into any kind of lockdown. Although I often see folk using them as an example for why lockdowns work, which is strange.

They've certainly done significant distancing restrictions when they've had outbreaks, but they managed to keep their numbers small enough to avoid a lengthy national lockdown effective track, trace, and isolate. If you'd prefer more obviously fully locked-down examples of effectiveness, China itself (though doubtless I will be told they're lying), Vietnam (though again full lockdowns largely avoided by being in it from the start), New Zealand, South Korea are the first few to mind.

Full lockdown if you have too many cases to handle by track and trace, until your count is genuinely low, followed by widespread testing with effective track and trace multiple contacts deep, with isolation both supported and enforced, is what has worked everywhere it's been tried. Nothing else seems to have.
RickIcon...24-12-2020 @ 13:09 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
WILLSAN said:https://www.rt.com/news/510376-who-uk-new-covid-strain/

dont worry guise the MUTANT VIRUS was a nothing burger.
oops you are all in tier 4 now and christmas is fuct.
soz.

I find it interesting and telling that your apparent choice of news sources is the Russian state propaganda network, American ultracapitalist thinktanks, and the Daily Mail...

Anyway. Let's hope that's true. But the tier 4 is more than justified purely on the numbers, new strain or not.
WILLSANIcon...24-12-2020 @ 13:17 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Rick said:
I find it interesting and telling that your apparent choice of news sources is the Russian state propaganda network, American ultracapitalist thinktanks, and the Daily Mail...
Anyway. Let's hope that's true. But the tier 4 is more than justified purely on the numbers, new strain or not.

RT is the favourite news source of sugden barbell.

havent you heard?

Grin
WILLSANIcon...24-12-2020 @ 13:19 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/510368-covid-strain-new-mutation-authorita...

There are thousands of Covid strains, so this new scare is NOT a big deal, but politicians just love their new authoritarianism

There are thousands of Covid strains, so this new scare is NOT a big deal, but politicians just love their new authoritarianism

By Peter Andrews, Irish science journalist and writer based in London. He has a background in the life sciences, and graduated from the University of Glasgow with a degree in genetics

The UK’s virus mutation is nothing but recycled alarmism, with no substance to justify the cancellation of Christmas and plunging us all into yet more misery. It’s unscientific, unjustifiable and unforgivable.
Let me set the scene. The world (we are told) is in the grip of a deadly plague. Health services (we are told) are on the brink of collapse. And just when you think things cannot get any worse, the horrific news comes down from on high that our invisible enemy has mutated into an even scarier form. Although it is too early to know anything of substance about it, it is entirely possible that it is more contagious, or more dangerous, or – who knows – maybe both.

Was that the situation at the weekend as the UK was plunged into what’s rapidly become its worst crisis since World War II (and certainly the worst self-induced one), just ahead of Christmas?

No, this was the precise situation FIVE MONTHS AGO, when I wrote about Spike D614G, a mutant variant of coronavirus that we were told could be up to NINE TIMES more contagious. You may not remember because that mutant strain turned out to be a total nothing burger. So why would this one be any different?
little_aIcon...24-12-2020 @ 17:04 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
EDCLARKE said:this thread needs a warm bath and a big bifter!Grin

I can't help thinking that as a nation we have lost our way and need to get back to what's important in life, what order would you do Girls Aloud

https://retropopmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Girls-Aloud-Out-Of-Control-1024x576.jpg
EDCLARKEIcon...24-12-2020 @ 20:53 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10991 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
little_a said:
I can't help thinking that as a nation we have lost our way and need to get back to what's important in life, what order would you do Girls Aloud
https://retropopmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Girls-Aloud-Out-Of-Control-1024x576.jpg

based purely on that photo and the one on the far left being 1 and the one on the far right being 5
5,2,1,4,3 the more interesting question would be in what order they would do me!
little_aIcon...24-12-2020 @ 21:24 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
EDCLARKE said:
the more interesting question would be in what order they would do me!

I think they would fight over you Ed. They do me.

In recent times I've pondered whether following the Saturdays instead of girls aloud would have helped leg strength. I was so wasted in the 00's it probably wouldn't have mattered.
EDCLARKEIcon...24-12-2020 @ 22:00 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10991 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
little_a said:
I think they would fight over you Ed. They do me.
In recent times I've pondered whether following the Saturdays instead of girls aloud would have helped leg strength. I was so wasted in the 00's it probably wouldn't have mattered.

the Saturdays are a poor mans girls aloud! stick with what you know!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions