Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitZ squatting high again

Z squatting high again

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

scruffmcbuff
I think people are blurring the line between StrongMan and Powerlifting.

Im always seeing soft lockouts in SM getting passed,Thats just how that sport is judged.

If you want text book lockouts watch powerlifting instead.
FAT_SAM said:
I think it's a bit different when the hard bit about a squat is coming out the hole.

And the hard part of deadlifts is locking it out...
slimsim
LessThanLuke said:
And the hard part of deadlifts is locking it out...

I think that depends on your lifting background. Most lifters with an Olympic lifting background seem to have a very strong lockout.
BrenWad
scruffmcbuff said:I think people are blurring the line between StrongMan and Powerlifting.

Im always seeing soft lockouts in SM getting passed,Thats just how that sport is judged.

If you want text book lockouts watch powerlifting instead.

Nobody watches powerlifting, surely??
slimsim said:
I think that depends on your lifting background. Most lifters with an Olympic lifting background seem to have a very strong lockout.

It mainly depends on your deadlift form.

If you're a textbook deadlifter and maintain your back angle during the start of the lift, by the time the bar is around your knees you still have lots of hip angle left to lock the lift out using your glutes.
An example of this type of deadlifter is Big Z and any Olympic lifter (oly lifters sacrifice an optimal start position so that they get the maximum amount of hip angle to use in the second pull)

This type of deadlifter tends to be a little slower off the floor but have a strong lockour. When they fail it's around mid shin / just below the knee. If the bar gets to the knee, it gets locked out

If you're a bit more of a mong deadlifter, then you will shoot your hips up at the beginning of the lift (I'm not taking about starting hip position, I'm talking about the hips rising faster than the bar) and by the time the bar is just over your knees you will have completely just up all of your hip angle (hips will be more or less fully open) which means that you don't have your glutes available to help you lock the lift out and therefore rely
on your erectors.

Eddie is an example of this type of deadlifter

This type of deadlifter will tend to have a lot of speed off the floor, but will have a weaker lockout. When they fail the bar will be above the knee / near lockout.
This is the type of daedlifter that hitches lifts as well.

As we are talking about them, here is a super slow motion vid of Eddie and Z deadlifting at the 2015 WSM - Compare and contrast Grin

BrenWad
BigMacca said:
It mainly depends on your deadlift form.
If you're a textbook deadlifter and maintain your back angle during the start of the lift, by the time the bar is around your knees you still have lots of hip angle left to lock the lift out using your glutes.
An example of this type of deadlifter is Big Z and any Olympic lifter (oly lifters sacrifice an optimal start position so that they get the maximum amount of hip angle to use in the second pull)
This type of deadlifter tends to be a little slower off the floor but have a strong lockour. When they fail it's around mid shin / just below the knee. If the bar gets to the knee, it gets locked out
If you're a bit more of a mong deadlifter, then you will shoot your hips up at the beginning of the lift (I'm not taking about starting hip position, I'm talking about the hips rising faster than the bar) and by the time the bar is just over your knees you will have completely just up all of your hip angle (hips will be more or less fully open) which means that you don't have your glutes available to help you lock the lift out and therefore rely
on your erectors.
Eddie is an example of this type of deadlifter
This type of deadlifter will tend to have a lot of speed off the floor, but will have a weaker lockout. When they fail the bar will be above the knee / near lockout.
This is the type of daedlifter that hitches lifts as well.
As we are talking about them, here is a super slow motion vid of Eddie and Z deadlifting at the 2015 WSM - Compare and contrast Grin

Great explanation and comparison! Clear that Z used to compete as powerlifter,whereas Ed hasn't,and so dead lifts according to rules of his sport. Really great stuff.
Draken
Could anyone answer this, please?

I said:
In which competitions are suits allowed and in which are they not?
AdamT
Suits are not allowed in Arnold's.

Probably one of the reasons Ed doesn't want to enter. He will struggle to beat Brian on Raw Deadlift and will not beat Z at log.
BrenWad
AdamT said:Suits are not allowed in Arnold's.

Probably one of the reasons Ed doesn't want to enter. He will struggle to beat Brian on Raw Deadlift and will not beat Z at log.

If they go back to hummer deadlift he won't win that either, as he'll have to lock it out
Need to see a vid of Eds deadlifts now. I've not noticed lack of locking out before tbh.
BrenWad
Post Edited: 04.04.2017 @ 13:50 PM by BrenWad
PeteHodgson said:Need to see a vid of Eds deadlifts now. I've not noticed lack of locking out before tbh.

A
Can't say I've noticed it either.
Mikeneto
Post Edited: 17.01.2017 @ 17:45 PM by Mikeneto
Draken said: Could anyone answer this, please?

There are 3 sets of strongman comps.. Ultimate strongman not established enough imo

Giants live and WSM
SCL
Arnold's

Only Giants live and WSM allow suits(both run by Colin Bryce, so same thing). I am not sure why either because it gives a ridiculous advantage on squats and raw powerlifting far more popular than equipped.

At a guess none of the strongmen want suits...Shaw definitely doesn't, Ed says he doesn't, Thor won't because it costs him on squat, Z might because he used to compete equipped and knows how to use them to full effect. But he can squat big without them, doubt he gets much on deadlift.
AdamT said:Suits are not allowed in Arnold's.

Who said Ed doesn't want to enter? He didn't qualify this year... doesn't mean he didn't want to be there necessarily
AdamT
Nimble said:
Who said Ed doesn't want to enter? He didn't qualify this year... doesn't mean he didn't want to be there necessarily

I imagine the World record holder in Deadlift would of been invited. Ed is known for his power, so they would want him there.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitZ squatting high again
Return to top View Desktop Site