Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitthe porridge dilemma and the very fabric of the universe

the porridge dilemma and the very fabric of the universe

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Why does my porridge become more runny when i add whey protein to it?

Heres what I do. I pour boiling water over oats and it becomes porridge. The consistency is quite porridgy and is certainly not liquidy. After adding 2 scoops of whey to it and then mixing it in it then is considerably more runny and is actually more of a liquid than a solid. How is this happening? One would think that adding a dry powder to a thing would make it more dry, by increasing its over all mass but not adding any liquid, therefore decreasing the percentage of liquid and making it be less liquidy. But it somehow become more runny.

Anyone else get this or is it just me?
Goodbye.
scruffmcbuff
JackRevans said:Why does my porridge become more runny when i add whey protein to it?

Heres what I do. I pour boiling water over oats and it becomes porridge. The consistency is quite porridgy and is certainly not liquidy. After adding 2 scoops of whey to it and then mixing it in it then is considerably more runny and is actually more of a liquid than a solid. How is this happening? One would think that adding a dry powder to a thing would make it more dry, by increasing its over all mass but not adding any liquid, therefore decreasing the percentage of liquid and making it be less liquidy. But it somehow become more runny.

Hi Jack,
Sorry to hear of your porridge plight.
Have you considered having the powder in a vessel next to your breakast and taking a spoon full of whey and then a spoon full of porridge?
All rhe proteiny goodness with out this absaloute liquid nightmare?
John
Tis odd you'd have thought more powder more water absorption.what I'd do is put your porridge and whey together before putting your water in.
Sugar is considered a wet ingredient when baking. I think it might be the same with whey, it kind of "melts" into the food?
Can you now drink your porridge ?
dr_hazbun
It's annoying and I totally sympathise!

Whilst I don't add whey anymore, I do add honey and it makes my porridge so liquidy that I end up adding more oats to thicken it back up again.
ChrisMcCarthy
I posit that the powder "sucks" the water that was originally soaked up by the Porridge Oats back into a liquid hence making the overall dish runnier but the actual oats drier.
LegendHowes
Ditch the porridge and get a full english
dannyboy73
I had the same issue and teherfore do not add protein to my porridge any more.

I do however, on occasion make a strawberry shake the add rice crispies to it. This is a very nice treat.

JackRevans said:Why does my porridge become more runny when i add whey protein to it?
But it somehow become more runny.

Can you make porridge in an airfryer?
CAJ said:Can you make porridge in an airfryer?

There is only one way to find out!
scruffmcbuff
CAJ said:Can you make porridge in an airfryer?

ill give it a go. what could go wrong
whey+flour creates a non-newtonian fluid. if you hit the porridge hard with a hammer it'll be like concrete and shatter, before melting back together.
matthewvc said:whey+flour creates a non-newtonian fluid. if you hit the porridge hard with a hammer it'll be like concrete and shatter, before melting back together.

Also, don't put it on your testicles.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitthe porridge dilemma and the very fabric of the universe
Return to top View Desktop Site