REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 394 guests

Steroid use contributed to the death of Jenkins

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

terryhollandsIcon...10-06-2014 @ 21:05 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
Steve said:How many WSM competitors have now died prematurely?

5?

Only one wsm winner in all the years has died, jps. Every other winner is still alive
little_aIcon...10-06-2014 @ 21:21 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts

A lot less than the number of great north runners who have died prematurely, or TT riders.

300000 people die every day. Some of them train with weights. Living has a 100% mortality rate sadly. Causes vary.
billynomatesIcon...10-06-2014 @ 21:38 
Member 4923, 1795 posts

If I remember correctly: OD Wilson, JP Sigmarsson, Johnny Perry, Jesse Marunde, Mike Jenkins.

There seems to be far more premature deaths in wrestling.
SteveIcon...10-06-2014 @ 21:38 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
little_a said:
A lot less than the number of great north runners who have died prematurely, or TT riders.

Compared to the number of participants?
little_aIcon...10-06-2014 @ 22:03 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Steve said:
Compared to the number of participants?

All of life's participants die.

I can see where you're coming from, but WSM is 30(?) years strong, and 5 participants have died during this time which may or may not be related to WSM.

I just don't like being media driven. I think I'm in the minority though Unhappy
SteveIcon...10-06-2014 @ 22:18 
Member 255, 3732 posts
little_a said:
All of life's participants die.
I can see where you're coming from, but WSM is 30(?) years strong, and 5 participants have died during this time which may or may not be related to WSM.
I just don't like being media driven. I think I'm in the minority though Unhappy

Three people I have trained with died in their 30s/40s. Perhaps, for whatever reason, being a large lifter is not entirely healthy?
JohnGymIcon...10-06-2014 @ 22:22 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Steve said:
Three people I have trained with died in their 30s/40s. Perhaps, for whatever reason, being a large lifter is not entirely healthy?

Being large in general isn't healthy. Lots of big heavy people die prematurely. Much more often than not, these people have no association with steroids whatsoever.
little_aIcon...10-06-2014 @ 22:29 
Member 43, 14374 posts
JohnGym said:
Being large in general isn't healthy. Lots of big heavy people die prematurely. Much more often than not, these people have no association with steroids whatsoever.

Beat me to it Happy

The health authorities are s**tting themselves because of the size of people in general, not the use of steroids.

I think being our size is probably best Steve, but we'll go of something mate Unhappy
brynevansIcon...10-06-2014 @ 23:13 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
For those interested, here are the statistics for cause of death in the UK.
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics--deat...
It is uncomfortable to think the physical activity we are all involved in could be causing us harm sadly whenever we hear of a bodybuilder or strongman going to an early grave this combination of a history of drug use and heart failure seem to go hand in hand.
hermanIcon...11-06-2014 @ 00:44 
hermit
Member 3904, 988 posts
Killelay said:

I think the whole steroids good/bad is bulls**t and outdated (and untimely when there is a grieving family at the centre of this). Personally I'd say smoking/drinking and doing weed is far more dangerous and costly to society on a whole, yet any sports supplements, even down to shakes/creatines etc are seen as a HUGE Negative/cheating etc.
The problem isn't what steroids do to the user, the problem is hugely uneducated members of the public who don't train, sit at home, smoke 20 a day and drink 20 units a week, who in turn, easily cost Health services globally far more than a handful or steroid users!!!

In monetary terms I have an example..

Haemo Dialysis on the NHS costs about £35k PER ANNUM per patient!!!
These costs and the number of people who require it go up and up year by year. Now f**king up your kidneys is usually causes by Type II Diabetes. A disease caused by unhealthy eating and lifestyle habits.

There are other causes of this, and of course other type of disease both acute and chronic which require costly treatment. All of which are avoidable by having a reasonably healthy lifestyle, just not taking the piss and destroying your body!

But the culture is generally for everyone to get regularly wasted on s**t booze, have a high calorie diet of s**t processed stuff yet do no exercise, take s**t 10% pure cocaine and mystery pills, take prescription meds for everything which often do as much harm as good.

Athletes taking steroids should really really not be attracting any kind of derision or criticism at all in terms of health bashing/negative effect on society etc! They are doing something knowledgeably and willfully to further their sport and career, and will be healthier than many average folk eating & living a fully public health/govt/media endorsed lifestyle.

PED's in terms of cheating is another matter entirely...
brownbearIcon...11-06-2014 @ 00:48 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
I'm not sure you can say renal failure is usually caused by type 2 diabetes which is caused by s**t eating

There are far more causes of renal failure requiring dialysis than just diabetes and this doesn't take in to account those who are almost destined to develop diabetes
SteveIcon...11-06-2014 @ 07:45 
Member 255, 3732 posts
herman said:
Athletes taking steroids should really really not be attracting any kind of derision or criticism at all in terms of health bashing/negative effect on society etc! They are doing something knowledgeably and willfully to further their sport and career, and will be healthier than many average folk eating & living a fully public health/govt/media endorsed lifestyle.
PED's in terms of cheating is another matter entirely...

I'm not sure being over weight, taking PEDs can be claimed to be more healthy than the Government/Health guidelines of regular exercise, balanced diet and limited alcohol
little_aIcon...11-06-2014 @ 09:39 
Member 43, 14374 posts
brynevans said:It is uncomfortable to think the physical activity we are all involved in could be causing us harm sadly whenever we hear of a bodybuilder or strongman going to an early grave this combination of a history of drug use and heart failure seem to go hand in hand.

Does the site actually allude to this Bryn? Not sure if I'm reading it wrong or missing something mate. I've always been curious about the following and never been able to find any actual valid stats, as in the ONS -
Numbers of deaths/ age where drug use is involved (I guess it would mean more with a break down of types of drugs)
Numbers of deaths/ age for bodyweight (or BMI)

As an aside, some of those stats are scary. Homicide is the number 3 killer for 1-4 year old boys. WTF is wrong with us? After 4 it's RTA and suicide till we're 50. Great Unhappy On the plus side there's a lot more deaths at 80+ than any other age group.

Interesting stuff.
brynevansIcon...11-06-2014 @ 10:04 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
Andy, no there's not any record of it the comments were just a general personal feeling. Certainly when I googled bodybuilder deaths there's rakes of cases where drug use is cited as a cause. Obviously many of these have no real scientific basis and are press reports. It would be such a difficult thing to gather data on because it would be impossible to determine if someone was a mild user or an abuser plus strength sports/bodybuilding are very much minority sports
little_aIcon...11-06-2014 @ 10:08 
Member 43, 14374 posts
I've always found the same thing when I've browsed the ether for this kind of stuff. I think it would be good to know actuals rather than media based conjecture, but like you say it is a tough one. I thought you'd stumbled onto a golden nugget of research results then. Happy

Cheers anyway mate.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions