REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 291 guests

Weightlifting Gym Nottingham

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

2scoopsIconWeightlifting Gym Nottingham08-08-2013 @ 12:25 
Member 4736, 6 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm 2scoops, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been "olympic" weightlifting for a year now, and in september I am relocating to Nottingham, and looking to find a suitable gym to continue weightlifting (platforms, bars, bumper plates etc.) Any help would be much appreciated.

My lifts at ~77kg are:
Snatch - 105
C+J - 130
Clean - 145
BS - 205
FS - 170

I had hoped to qualify and compete in the British championships next year, so I really don't want to give it up.

Cheers
OwenLIcon...08-08-2013 @ 12:28 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
atlas gym in alfreton id suggest
2scoopsIcon...08-08-2013 @ 12:37 
Member 4736, 6 posts
That definitely looks like my best option so far. But as I'm moving from northern Ireland and probably not bringing my car, getting there could be tricky.

Cheers for the info.
OwenLIcon...08-08-2013 @ 12:45 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
dont think theres a proper WL gym in Nottingham, ive looked before when ive been there, and my coach didnt know of one...except Atlas.
slimsimIcon...08-08-2013 @ 12:46 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
What about...

http://www.crossfitnottingham.co.uk/

NG3 postcode so I presume it's fairly centrally based?
Joe_MFIcon...08-08-2013 @ 12:50 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I'm a student in Nottingham and finding a good gym is very hard. The Uni of Nottingham gym is poor for wl, not sure about Trent's. Ive been searching for ages for a good gym and the only one with your requirements would be CrossFit Nottingham http://www.crossfitnottingham.co.uk/
but it's expensive.
2scoopsIcon...08-08-2013 @ 13:19 
Member 4736, 6 posts
The crossfit gym would be perfect, but I emailed them asking if I could use it solely for weightlifting, and they said no. That's strange, with Nottingham uni being big for sport, not having weightlifting gear. I'll maybe email someone from trent.
FazcIcon...08-08-2013 @ 13:22 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
It's a dire situation when you have to resort to Trent!
2scoopsIcon...08-08-2013 @ 13:32 
Member 4736, 6 posts
As a beggar I don't have the luxury of being a chooser, unfortunately. How do you normally train term time, joe?
Joe_MFIcon...08-08-2013 @ 14:31 
Member 4611, 630 posts
SQ 160, BP 120, DL 210
490.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.08.2013 @ 14:33 PM by Joe_MF
2scoops said:As a beggar I don't have the luxury of being a chooser, unfortunately. How do you normally train term time, joe?

As a first year at Uni of Nottingham, I trained 3 or 4 times/week in the University Park gym because it was on my doorstep and was pretty cheap for student membership. It doesnt have any facilities for weightlifting (no bumpers/platforms) but has barbells, benches and 1 squat rack (which gets rammed after 4pm).
The Strength and Conditioning room is supposed to be good, but small, however it's only open to sports' first teams or something like that.

This year I'm looking at other gyms because I'm living slightly closer to the city centre. At the moment im thinking that Castle Gym is my best option - I don't do olympic lifting so I dont have many requirements other than bench press, squat racks and room to deadlift.
Another gym I am thinking about is Raw Physique, however I have been told that the bars are bent/rubbish.
Both of these seem to be geared to bodybuilding but Im not too fussed by that.
I phoned up a few more gyms - one receptionist didnt know if they had squat racks and wouldnt ask anyone.
Both gyms are substantially cheaper than CrossFit Nottingham however in the end you get what you pay for.
Links to both gyms are here:
http://castlegymnotts.co.uk/
http://rawphysiquegym.co.uk/

EDIT: I also just noticed you said 'in september' so if you are joining Uni of Nottingham this year, there is an Olympic Lifting & Powerlifting society which we are hoping to start up, which may give us access to bumper plates and other nice things, in the strength and conditioning room or somewhere else. Which would enable you to lift with other lifters with decent equipment.
2scoopsIcon...08-08-2013 @ 21:36 
Member 4736, 6 posts
Joe_MF said:
As a first year at Uni of Nottingham, I trained 3 or 4 times/week in the University Park gym because it was on my doorstep and was pretty cheap for student membership. It doesnt have any facilities for weightlifting (no bumpers/platforms) but has barbells, benches and 1 squat rack (which gets rammed after 4pm).
The Strength and Conditioning room is supposed to be good, but small, however it's only open to sports' first teams or something like that.
This year I'm looking at other gyms because I'm living slightly closer to the city centre. At the moment im thinking that Castle Gym is my best option - I don't do olympic lifting so I dont have many requirements other than bench press, squat racks and room to deadlift.
Another gym I am thinking about is Raw Physique, however I have been told that the bars are bent/rubbish.
Both of these seem to be geared to bodybuilding but Im not too fussed by that.
I phoned up a few more gyms - one receptionist didnt know if they had squat racks and wouldnt ask anyone.
Both gyms are substantially cheaper than CrossFit Nottingham however in the end you get what you pay for.
Links to both gyms are here:
http://castlegymnotts.co.uk/
http://rawphysiquegym.co.uk/
EDIT: I also just noticed you said 'in september' so if you are joining Uni of Nottingham this year, there is an Olympic Lifting & Powerlifting society which we are hoping to start up, which may give us access to bumper plates and other nice things, in the strength and conditioning room or somewhere else. Which would enable you to lift with other lifters with decent equipment.

Thanks for all the info, Joe. I'm actually moving for work, so I'm not sure if I would be able to avail of the society benefits. Though, I would be more than happy to join in a "player/manager" role Grin.
fongIcon...08-08-2013 @ 21:46 
really really interesting
Member 3474, 2816 posts
SQ 170, BP 120, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.08.2013 @ 21:48 PM by fong
Fazc said:It's a dire situation when you have to resort to Trent!

oi f**k off!

anyway, when i went to cf nottingham they said i could just use the gym in the open gym time. it's only open for like 2 hours a day but if you can make it during those times it's cool (the rest of their open hours are just classes etc).

trent will only let you use the oly plates and platforms if you're in a first team for sports too. faggots. especially when it's just football players and whatnot curling away on lovely oly plates. ugh...
dave_rogersonIcon...09-08-2013 @ 08:02 
Member 4046, 590 posts
The guys at crossfit Nottingham would accommodate you I'm sure, they're all pretty friendly.
richieallenIcon...09-08-2013 @ 08:25 
Member 1381, 1240 posts
SQ 280, BP 165, DL 317.5
762.5 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 09.08.2013 @ 08:25 AM by richieallen
failing that get ya sen down to the warehouse in Leicester...
James99Icon...09-08-2013 @ 08:50 
EXCELLENT first post !!!
Member 2818, 12 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 220
520.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
Joe_MF said:

Hi Joe, I'm joining Nottingham Uni as a postgrad this September and would be very interested in getting involved in this society.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions