You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitThe Cycling Thread

The Cycling Thread

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... 121122123 ... 137138139140141142143144145146147

ChrisMcCarthyIcon...31-08-2016 @ 09:47 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Bod said:
ONCE were the bo***cks. A genuine super-squadra who had riders who could win from February to October. Their team circa 94-95 with Zülle, Jalabert, Mauri, Stephens,, Leanizbarrutia, Diaz Zabala, Etxebarria, etc was phenomenal.

Yeah, they were awesome - just a shame for them they came up against Banesto in July!

One of my favourite cycling moments - actually sporting moments in general - was watching JaJa gift Dietz that win...just because he could.
SteveIcon...31-08-2016 @ 09:51 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 31.08.2016 @ 09:51 AM by Steve
Cuddles said:Sorry to hear about your woes gents. One thing to make sure is that you never lean your bike on its drivetrain side. This problem is often caused by a bent derailleur or hanger.

Derailleur hanger adjustment tool - do I need one?
CuddlesIcon...31-08-2016 @ 11:03 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Do you mean an alignment tool?
BodIcon...31-08-2016 @ 11:30 
Member 174, 1235 posts
ChrisMcCarthy said:
Yeah, they were awesome - just a shame for them they came up against Banesto in July!
One of my favourite cycling moments - actually sporting moments in general - was watching JaJa gift Dietz that win...just because he could.

I still have that stage on VHS somewhere. Jalabert was unreal in 1995. Agree about Banesto. ONCE did manage to do something that no other team managed in the 95 TdF on the stage to Mende, as it was the only time I saw Indurain panic in during his 91-95 run. Banesto were calling in favours left, right and centre to bring back the break. One of the benefits of Indurain being as he was ensured that he had plenty of teams who helped him out. Shows that the years when he let breaks go, 'gifted' a few wins here and there wasn't wasted. I still have a black ONCE TdF jersey. When they wore that, they looked cool as f**k.
SteveIcon...31-08-2016 @ 11:40 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Cuddles said:Do you mean an alignment tool?

Yes, I think.

I would like to check things are OK before putting new stuff on. I am a bit puzzled how it happened as I had been riding and using the lowest gear for an hour previously. I could understand if it had happened at the beginning.

New Ultegra 11 speed shifters, front derailleur and brakes (I already have a rear derailleur) ordered so I can switch across the wheels that came on the TT bike (Shimano RS31s).
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...31-08-2016 @ 11:57 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Bod said:
I still have that stage on VHS somewhere. Jalabert was unreal in 1995. Agree about Banesto. ONCE did manage to do something that no other team managed in the 95 TdF on the stage to Mende, as it was the only time I saw Indurain panic in during his 91-95 run. Banesto were calling in favours left, right and centre to bring back the break. One of the benefits of Indurain being as he was ensured that he had plenty of teams who helped him out. Shows that the years when he let breaks go, 'gifted' a few wins here and there wasn't wasted. I still have a black ONCE TdF jersey. When they wore that, they looked cool as f**k.

My reaction to Jalabert that year was pretty much "WTF!" - it would be more-or-less like seeing Cavendish just sitting comfortably on Froome's wheel at the top of a proper climb today!

I've always wondered how much that stage to Mendes was simply Echevarri's way of saying to ONCE "You may rip the race apart all you like but we will always have the good will of the Peloton and be able to put it all back together" - and Gewiss were always going to help to protect Riis's podium chances.

IMO Indurain gets overlooked a lot coming just before the "Armstrong Era" - I've still yet to see a rider dominate everyone in quite the way he could when the mood took him. I used to have the stage to La Plagne on tape (Stephen Roche's "Indurain's accelerated, Dave" is seared into my memory) and the look on the rest of the rider's faces as he goes to the front and gradually turns it up to unbearable levels is absolutely priceless.

"Oh, s**t - someone's annoyed The Boss".
CuddlesIcon...31-08-2016 @ 17:53 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
ChrisMcCarthy said:
IMO Indurain gets overlooked a lot coming just before the "Armstrong Era" - I've still yet to see a rider dominate everyone in quite the way he could when the mood took him. I used to have the stage to La Plagne on tape (Stephen Roche's "Indurain's accelerated, Dave" is seared into my memory) and the look on the rest of the rider's faces as he goes to the front and gradually turns it up to unbearable levels is absolutely priceless.
"Oh, s**t - someone's annoyed The Boss".

Certainly not by me. Big Mig is still to this day one of my sporting idols. Perhaps because his reign coincided with the era that I got into pro cycling property. I was always astonished how he could do what he did and be so, well, large. As a kid I saw him as the Boss of the peloton but one that oozed class. The way he'd wind up the pace like you mention is still etched in my memory and I just loved it. While I love watching pure climbers, I still find immense pleasure from watching someone ramping up the suffering on the rest like that. It's my kind of riding. Of course it helped that he had lungs like wheelie bins!

1992 was one of my favourite sporting years full stop and Big Mig was a huge part of it. The Giro-Tour double must be one of the toughest things in any sport.
CuddlesIcon...31-08-2016 @ 18:00 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
If Froome wins this years Vuelta it would be about as close as you could get to an Indurain win.

And I don't care what the purists think. It's a race, not hill repeats.
BodIcon...31-08-2016 @ 19:54 
Member 174, 1235 posts
Put me squarely in the 'Indurain is a legend' camp. You've both nailed it for me in the points that you made. Giro/Tour double double, pure power, could absolutely destroy opponents over almost all terrains (when he used to attack on climbs riding on the drops it was amazing), excellent bike-handler and so on. One of my favourite rides of his was when he took second in the World RR in 1995 on that ridiculously tough circuit in Duitama. He marked everyone out of that so that Olano could take gold.
I've still never forgiven Bruyneel for sitting in and doing him in the sprint in the on that stage to Liege, the s**thouse.
Froome is the most exciting stage racer today by a mile. He still gets grief (from those with no clue) about riding to his meter, but if you watch Monday's stage again, Quintana was glued to his too. Froome animates races.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...31-08-2016 @ 20:14 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Post Edited: 31.08.2016 @ 20:18 PM by ChrisMcCarthy
It brings a tear to my eye to have found a group of fellow "Miguelon-ites"... Happy

I kind of agree on Bruyneel taking the stage but he did at least provide one of the great cycling quotes: "Like riding behind a Motorbike."

To me, though, and despite everything he achieved (both good and bad) as a Manager Bruyneel will always be the Guy who I was certain I had just watched die when he went off the road in 1996 and who I was nearly in tears of relief when I saw him get back on his bike.

Apologies for the quality and commentary but the edited C$ footage doesn't do it justice and I can't locate Eurosport's at the mo.
BodIcon...31-08-2016 @ 20:29 
Member 174, 1235 posts
Post Edited: 31.08.2016 @ 21:46 PM by Bod
That stage to Les Arcs was mental. Indurain cracked, there were crashes galore, Heulot abandoned in tears wearing yellow, Jalabert cracked too and had a look on his face that was terrifying due it's blankness - he was a zombie. Riders were all over the road. Unreal. Bruyneel's head appearing out of the ravine was surreal.

Just read that Quintana suggests banning power meters is the way to go. Froome's retort was 'Why don't we just go back to single speed bikes too?'
dr_hazbunIcon...31-08-2016 @ 22:21 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
I love this BBC factoid about Indurain:

'Spaniard Miguel Indurain, who took five successive titles, had lungs so big they displaced his stomach, leading to his trademark paunch.'
BodIcon...31-08-2016 @ 22:40 
Member 174, 1235 posts
dr_hazbun said:I love this BBC factoid about Indurain:

'Spaniard Miguel Indurain, who took five successive titles, had lungs so big they displaced his stomach, leading to his trademark paunch.'

[IMG]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa429/Bod07/5435f8d60c5c3b...

Best one I could find. There is definitely one of him doing the hour when he looks like he's swallowed a space hopper.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...01-09-2016 @ 09:31 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Ah, so we should call distended abdomens "Indurainism" instead?

Talking of the Hour, I tend to think that lead directly to the end of his Career as he never seemed to be the same after falling out with the Team at the end of '95.

As speculation is free...I think he would have ignored Riis, Ullrich and Pantani in 1996 - 1998 and gone out on his own terms before Armstrong really ever got started.
BodIcon...01-09-2016 @ 13:12 
Member 174, 1235 posts
ChrisMcCarthy said:Ah, so we should call distended abdomens "Indurainism" instead?

Talking of the Hour, I tend to think that lead directly to the end of his Career as he never seemed to be the same after falling out with the Team at the end of '95.

As speculation is free...I think he would have ignored Riis, Ullrich and Pantani in 1996 - 1998 and gone out on his own terms before Armstrong really ever got started.

Agreed. That attempt at the hour was rushed and then making him ride the Vuelta was the death knell. It was a sad end really after he had been with them all his career. i would have liked to have seen a different end to his career, but 96 was a tough, tough tour. A 262 km stage, which took the laughing group close to 8 hours and Boardman said that he was swinging off the back after 10km!

12345678910 ... 121122123 ... 137138139140141142143144145146147

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitThe Cycling Thread
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions