Who's Online - 1 member and 237 guests
You are here: HomeForumNutritionMilk guzzling

Milk guzzling

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

MalloneIcon...03-09-2011 @ 09:47 
Has achieved nothing.
Member 1386, 292 posts
brownbear said:
You have to be kidding me. That pile of s**t link you put in claims 1.4g protein/kg bodyweight is enough. Bodybuilders are the experts in building muscle, find me one who eats that little protein a day.
You don't need a peer reviewed study to tell you that ingesting more protein will help you gain
Muscle when combined with training.

What is it with you and bodybuilders? Read and re-read his post properly as you have deliberately ignored what he is asking.
streakIcon...03-09-2011 @ 10:19 
they call him the streak
Member 2002, 400 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 130, DL 240
552.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
brownbear said:
You have to be kidding me. That pile of s**t link you put in claims 1.4g protein/kg bodyweight is enough. Bodybuilders are the experts in building muscle, find me one who eats that little protein a day.
You don't need a peer reviewed study to tell you that ingesting more protein will help you gain

I agree with you - what I'm wondering is if there is a point at which excess protein consumed is not used by the body and is therefore wasted. I mean, an intermediate natural lifter can only expect to add a few pounds of muscle a YEAR, right? What do you reckon?
brownbearIcon...03-09-2011 @ 10:22 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
streak said:
I agree with you - what I'm wondering is if there is a point at which excess protein consumed is not used by the body and is therefore wasted. I mean, an intermediate natural lifter can only expect to add a few pounds of muscle a YEAR, right? What do you reckon?

I think you have a point, there has to be a limit as to how much protein can be used and how much muscle can be built, otherwise we could eat kilos of protein a day and all look like ronnie coleman. But, there is no generic number for either as all people are different.
bryceIcon...03-09-2011 @ 10:27 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Can the human body convert fats to protein?

Oh dear wayne. Silly boy. Protein is special because it contains nitrogen, fats and carbohydrates dont.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...03-09-2011 @ 10:38 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22059 posts
bryce said:
Oh dear wayne. Silly boy. Protein is special because it contains nitrogen, fats and carbohydrates dont.

Mr Wayne is ignorant and thick, but he understands this....

Happy
bryceIcon...03-09-2011 @ 10:50 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Ok wayne, I forgive you because you have distracted me Grin
oxIcon...03-09-2011 @ 11:37 
Angry parasite and a rapist hoping to move abroad
Member 2776, 152 posts
Post Edited: 03.09.2011 @ 11:38 AM by ox
Full fat cows milk
Calories per pint: 370. Fat per pint: 22 grams. Protein Per Pint: 18 grams.

Semi skimmed cows milk
Calories per pint: 255. Fat per pint: 9.9 grams. Protein per pint: 20 grams.

Skimmed cows milk
Calories per pint: 195. Fat per pint: 0.5 grams, Protein per pint: 20 grams.

Semi FTW. Nutritionally superior to whole without losing too much body.
SparrowIcon...03-09-2011 @ 16:59 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
bryce said:

But the body can convert carbs to proteins, so why does that matter?

Does any of this matter?
nathan2010Icon...03-09-2011 @ 21:32 
Member 1877, 183 posts
SQ 160, BP 127.5, DL 200
487.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Sparrow said:
But the body can convert carbs to proteins, so why does that matter?
Does any of this matter?

i thought protein can convert to carbohydrates via gluconeogenesis but didn't no carbs can change to protein are u sure?
SenIcon...04-09-2011 @ 09:12 
Member 2310, 140 posts
My argument when considering milk, as to which you chose is superior has to take into consideration
1)Skim milk is rubbish
2)Milk contains lots of fat soluble vitamins and minerals
3)The largest difference between semi and full is the fat content
4)Full fat has more cholesterol than skim
From those, Full fat to me, is just better in every way.

My choice would be, unaltered milk, as a great source of cholesterol, fats protein and carbohydrate as well as vitamins and minerals
I'm not paying the same amount for someone to take some of my nutrients away from my drink!

If people remove Fat from their diet entirely, they die.
If people remove Protein from their diet entirely, they die.
If people remove carbs from their diet entirely, they get grumpy.
MalloneIcon...04-09-2011 @ 10:43 
Has achieved nothing.
Member 1386, 292 posts
Sen its not as simple as that. Milk is a source of protein but it also contains lactose

Lactose is a disaccharide sugar that is found most notably in milk and is formed from galactose and glucose. Lactose makes up around 2~8% of milk (by weight), although the amount varies among species and individuals.

So if you are trying to cut down or lose some weight, you wouldn't really be drinking a lot of full fat milk. A cup of full-fat milk has quite a bit of fat and carbs.

It lays it down nicely for you :-

The good: This food is a good source of Vitamin D, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12, Calcium and Phosphorus.

The bad: This food is high in Saturated Fat, and a large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars.
ProjectGoliathIcon...04-09-2011 @ 10:59 
Member 1801, 21 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 300
805.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
brownbear said:

hullo, as writer of that article i just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. The point of that article was to dispel the myth that protein makes you massive. I obviously went extreme and suggested the absolute minimum. There are lots of variables and steroids are definitely one of them and could possibly increase you protein requirements but talking as a natural athlete i have found that calories are king and that a 6000calorie diet makes me big without paying attention to protein intake (though as you can guess with that many calories the protein intake is probably reasonably high). As some one else mentioned there is only 'x' amount of muscle breakdown so as long as you have 'y' amount of protein the rest can be what ever you want. I'm not slamming protein or trying to promote low protein diets and i know its important i'm just saying that it's not the be all and end all and frankly whey protein as a supplement is pointless for bulking (though has a place in cutting when calories are limited but protein requirements are similar).

The argument that body builders take loads of protein and are massive is not better then a peer reviewed article. They could be just as big by taking less and also they spend half their life cutting and in that case protein has its uses.

Any way, everyone has a different way of doing things and this one suits me. As someone who used to work in a local gym i'd had enough of ppl asking all this crap about protein and fussing about how much and what type they should buy or take when they were 11 stone soaking wet and all they needed was a couple of pints of whole milk (see how i linked it back to the discussion Happy ) and a couple of weeks of 20 rep squats.
Little_MikeIcon...04-09-2011 @ 11:18 
JuJitsu - its not gay if you dont make eye contact
Member 661, 1729 posts
gallon of milk a day

loads of people talk about it. and many say its good

get on the soya Grin
oxIcon...04-09-2011 @ 12:22 
Angry parasite and a rapist hoping to move abroad
Member 2776, 152 posts
Sen said:

If people remove Fat from their diet entirely, they die.
If people remove Protein from their diet entirely, they die.
If people remove carbs from their diet entirely, they get grumpy.

...by drinking skimmed milk I'm removing fat from my diet? PRetty sure those sausage rolls I just scoffed contained enough to keep me alive.
SenIcon...04-09-2011 @ 12:32 
Member 2310, 140 posts
I didn't say you were Ox, it was just an amusing note to end on, I meant no offense by it Happy

(I FEEL) Saturated fats are not as bad as popular media would have you believe, I don't take sat-fats to be a negative anymore! BUUUT this topic can be very volatile as people hold VERY VERY different views on it.
-I agree totally on the Lactose views though! Milk is a great carb-source, IF you can tolerate them!

If you are the article reading type, this is a very interesting read regarding various saturated fats;
http://www.spacedoc.com/saturated_fat_is_good_for_you_1

I won't push my views on anyone but I think it is a genuinely nice read, for those that like to read and have an opinion either way! Happy
I wont say more on that topic, its like discussing politics with close friends! just don't do it! lol

You are here: HomeForumNutritionMilk guzzling
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions