You are here: HomeForumNutritionMilk guzzling

Milk guzzling

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

streakIcon...04-09-2011 @ 18:59 
they call him the streak
Member 2002, 400 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 130, DL 240
552.5 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Sen said:I didn't say you were Ox, it was just an amusing note to end on, I meant no offense by it Happy

(I FEEL) Saturated fats are not as bad as popular media would have you believe, I don't take sat-fats to be a negative anymore! BUUUT this topic can be very volatile as people hold VERY VERY different views on it.
-I agree totally on the Lactose views though! Milk is a great carb-source, IF you can tolerate them!

If you are the article reading type, this is a very interesting read regarding various saturated fats;
http://www.spacedoc.com/saturated_fat_is_good_for_you_1

I won't push my views on anyone but I think it is a genuinely nice read, for those that like to read and have an opinion either way! Happy
I wont say more on that topic, its like discussing politics with close friends! just don't do it! lol

I've been trying to convince family/friends of this for a while now. They think I'm part of some kind of cult, or something Unhappy
MattD90Icon...04-09-2011 @ 22:17 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 05.09.2011 @ 00:01 AM by MattD90
Obviously I'm not big or anything but thought I'd add to the science of this thread. I might aswell while I'm an undergraduate and I can remember it lol because I'll probably have forgotten it in a few years.

With regards to people debating about protein vs calories being king, I think alot of people forget that although protein is required for the synthesis of structural proteins in muscle, at the end of the day muscle is a living, respiring tissue and just like all other respiring tissues it will preferentially use one respiratory substrate over all others: glucose. I have this debate with my brother all the time who seems to constantly think protein "fuels" his muscles as in respires with it. Protein will be used structurally to build and maintain the muscle but what fuels the process? Calories! (ideally in the form of carbohydrates from which glucose is easily obtained to then respire with).

Also whoever mentioned protein being synth'd from carbohydrates this is not true (entirely). Of course the carbon skeleton of amino acids (which then make up proteins) can be obtained from carbohydrates (indirectly from the citric acid cycle as well as others), but as others have said ultimately a source of nitrogen will be needed to synthesis amino acids, which in humans is going to be obtained from consuming other amino acids (usually for lifters in the form of animal protein Grin ). Not to mention the fact that when it comes to synthesis, we can only synthesise a certain number of the 20 main amino acids (12 or 13 I think? Can't quite remember) so the more varied the protein sources in the diet the better to make sure nothing is limiting too heavily.

However of course excess protein cannot simply be "stored" in any way, and so the carbon skeleton of amino acids within those proteins will be either used for respiration, or converted and stored as fat. The nitrogenous part will be lost in urine, so people who buy endless supplies of whey protein and over-consume above their demand are, literally pissing their money away. Knowing your demand however is quite a skill I'd imagine and would take trial and error
martinIcon...05-09-2011 @ 09:15 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:However of course excess protein cannot simply be "stored" in any way, and so the carbon skeleton of amino acids within those proteins will be either used for respiration, or converted and stored as fat. The nitrogenous part will be lost in urine, so people who buy endless supplies of whey protein and over-consume above their demand are, literally pissing their money away. Knowing your demand however is quite a skill I'd imagine and would take trial and error

That's not enirely true though is it - we can store aminos. Also an increase in protein intake causes an upregulation of protein useage within the body IIRC. So all is not always wasted.

I like milk Happy Semi or Full FTW - Skimmed is just like drinking lactose water lol

We still don't fully understand the true benefits of drinking things whole but I'm a fan of having milk how it was intended Happy

Full fat even makes you fertile - yet skimmed milk has been shown to reduce fertility.
MattD90Icon...05-09-2011 @ 09:24 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 05.09.2011 @ 09:42 AM by MattD90
martin said:
That's not enirely true though is it - we can store aminos. Also an increase in protein intake causes an upregulation of protein useage within the body IIRC. So all is not always wasted.

We cannot store amino acids! Excess beyond demand will always be deaminated and then either respired (C-skeleton) via TCA cycle intermediates, or stored as fat, with the excess nitrogen lost as urea.

Of course technically we can "store" amino acids as proteins, but I mean excess beyond our capable level of protein synthesis will always be broken down as above. There is no storage system for excess amino acids (!)
PAGANIcon...05-09-2011 @ 10:37 
I took about £4 out of Sooty's bottom
Member 685, 8719 posts
SQ 225, BP 150, DL 290
665.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
MattD90 said:
We cannot store amino acids! Excess beyond demand will always be deaminated and then either respired (C-skeleton) via TCA cycle intermediates, or stored as fat, with the excess nitrogen lost as urea.
Of course technically we can "store" amino acids as proteins, but I mean excess beyond our capable level of protein synthesis will always be broken down as above. There is no storage system for excess amino acids (!)

Doesn't the body 'hold' some amino acids within the system ( referred to as the 'amino acid pool' ?) for a period of time to allow for the combining of them from 'incomplete' protein sources?

I used to try and read around all the bro science years ago but I found myself suffering with paralysis from analysis and my diet got no better...

Personally I'd try to limit milk in my diet for no other reason than I feel there are better sources of fats and carbs out there.I think it's a good source of protein but I'd rather have most of the other s**t removed and take it in via protein powders. That said I don't actually practice what I preach...
MattD90Icon...05-09-2011 @ 12:17 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
PAGAN said:
Doesn't the body 'hold' some amino acids within the system ( referred to as the 'amino acid pool' ?) for a period of time to allow for the combining of them from 'incomplete' protein sources?

Of course amino acids are constantly present in the blood after absorption from the intestines. But I wouldn't think of this as a "storage" because while it is technically an 'amino acid pool', it is not one we can add to over time by consuming excess amino acids (ie in dietary protein), unlike fat stores (and to some extent glycogen) which can. The amino acid content of the blood is finite and in cases of over-consumption of protein whereby input by far exceeds "need", ie rate of protein synthesis, energy status and so on, amino acids will ultimately be converted into other things.
martinIcon...05-09-2011 @ 12:53 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 05.09.2011 @ 12:54 PM by martin
MattD90 said:
Of course amino acids are constantly present in the blood after absorption from the intestines. But I wouldn't think of this as a "storage" because while it is technically an 'amino acid pool', it is not one we can add to over time by consuming excess amino acids (ie in dietary protein), unlike fat stores (and to some extent glycogen) which can. The amino acid content of the blood is finite and in cases of over-consumption of protein whereby input by far exceeds "need", ie rate of protein synthesis, energy status and so on, amino acids will ultimately be converted into other things.

Ok maybe technically it is not storing but we do have an amino acid pool that is constanlty being taken from and replenished. That was my point Happy
Edit - and some amino's last for weeks lol
chaosIcon...06-09-2011 @ 16:22 
An amazing human being
Member 2047, 17156 posts
SQ 262.5, BP 170, DL 300
732.5 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
I like this milk!!!! All the goodness of milk and all the goodness of booze

Grin Grin Grin

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/reviews...

You are here: HomeForumNutritionMilk guzzling
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions