Medical support for injured athletes

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

dazzachapIconMedical support for injured athletes18-01-2012 @ 12:12 
the ferryman will always need his coin.
Member 1085, 408 posts
SQ 220, BP 175, DL 285
680.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
Just curious,

Dont post a great deal but this is starting to bug me,maybe someone on here can shed some light??

You dont have to look through this site for long to figure out there are a great number of elite class, national, international standard athlets and lifters who post on here,many struggling with injuries and trying to self fund their own rehab.

I'll use Tom Martin as an example, wheres the medical support.

I would have assumed as powerlifting is a recognised commonwealth sport that any elite class lifter, who is good enough to pull on an international vest would be covered by some sort of referral system? either through a governing body, sport England or any other of the home countries governing bodies to ensure that their top level athletes are getting the best advice, support and treatments available.
I know the British Olympic associated and all its members have access to the British olympic medical association facilities down in London,they used to have a gold, silver and Bronze tier system that allowed their athletes access to what ever medical facilities the team doctor deemed necessary. i would have thought that commonwealth athletes would have the same priveleges.
It appears that alot of sports have several governing bodies, is it only certain ones that are eligible to put there athletes forward for the big international comps??
Weightlifting for example, do you have to lift in a certain tested fed to then be eligible to compete at the commonwealths? Therefore potentially eligible for medical support under their umbrella??
VanillaGorillaIcon...18-01-2012 @ 12:20 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
Purely playing devil's advocate, why should a powerlifter who is injured get preferrential treatment over a hardworking streetsweeper or carpenter?

Both rely on their bodies for their living?
milsyIcon...18-01-2012 @ 12:28 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
I think your getting confused powerlifting is not in the commonwealth games although there is a commonwealth powerlifting champs just as there is a worlds and Europeans it just mean countrys within the commonwealth take part powerlifting has a long long way to go before we can even start thinking about the original post

I belive top teer Olympic lifters and athletes will have medical support through the British team
dazzachapIcon...18-01-2012 @ 12:37 
Member 1085, 408 posts
SQ 220, BP 175, DL 285
680.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
VanillaGorilla said:Purely playing devil's advocate, why should a powerlifter who is injured get preferrential treatment over a hardworking streetsweeper or carpenter?

Both rely on their bodies for their living?

Your right, but the fact is they do, and if there are avenues open to our young athletes to get them back to health quicker that they were not aware of,i think we should all get behind them.
Success breeds success, and if we have one or two athletes doing well, in whatever the sport it will encourage more into that sport, more success means more coverage, which will ultimately lead to more funding....surely?
SkipIcon...18-01-2012 @ 13:17 
too large
Member 2411, 824 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 300
702.5 kgs @ 109kgs UnEq
dazzachap said:
Success breeds success, and if we have one or two athletes doing well, in whatever the sport it will encourage more into that sport, more success means more coverage, which will ultimately lead to more funding....surely?

In an ideal world yes, but unfortunately this isnt ideal. Unfortunately Powerlifting and such sports arnt big enough to gain many/any sources of funding from Governments etc. Which indeed is abit s**t, because there are some top level athletes out there that deserve it, and a place in major competitions, but unfortunately the "powers that be" require you to do alot/all of the work yourself unless your top 3 or better. Theres alot of politics involved in many sports which some/most of the time means that the best athletes arnt necessarly put first.
doc77Icon...18-01-2012 @ 13:26 
enjoys the odd fag
Member 563, 1029 posts
SQ 210, BP 125, DL 230
565.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
I think the government secretly want us all to go private anyway so it saves them the cost of the NHS...now the tories are in command they dont really care about anyone who cant afford to pay their own way so normal working folks don't really matter to them when all said and done. Usual tory story, Thatcher's Britain wasn't any different. Riots, privatisation and strikes, thats the prevailing memories I have from the early 80s. Oh yeah, and mass unemployment too...but only the working classes who suffered.
hammermanIcon...18-01-2012 @ 13:36 
call me sir or recieve broken toes
Member 1626, 250 posts
SQ 170, BP 112.5, DL 225
507.5 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
My brother used to have access to treatment at the British Olympic Medical Centre in North London, when he was part of the British Bobsleigh Team. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Yes there was top class treatment.............but as it was 120+ mile round trip from where he lives he would loose the best part of a day to get there/back and be treated, as well as loss of earnings and cost of fuel. More cost effective to just see someone local to home to do the treatment.

This may be different for a "main steam" higher profile sport?
bryceIcon...18-01-2012 @ 13:37 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
doc77 said:I think the government secretly want us all to go private anyway so it saves them the cost of the NHS...now the tories are in command they dont really care about anyone who cant afford to pay their own way so normal working folks don't really matter to them when all said and done. Usual tory story, Thatcher's Britain wasn't any different. Riots, privatisation and strikes, thats the prevailing memories I have from the early 80s. Oh yeah, and mass unemployment too...but only the working classes who suffered.

Yup, the tories want to make everyone pay for healthcare, oh wait...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086931/Cherie-Blair-r...

...they are all gits

GrinGrinGrin
doc77Icon...18-01-2012 @ 14:32 
enjoys the odd fag
Member 563, 1029 posts
SQ 210, BP 125, DL 230
565.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
bryce said:
Yup, the tories want to make everyone pay for healthcare, oh wait...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086931/Cherie-Blair-r...
...they are all gits
GrinGrinGrin

Fair pooint, well made Grin
SteveIcon...18-01-2012 @ 14:46 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
milsy said:I think your getting confused powerlifting is not in the commonwealth games although there is a commonwealth powerlifting champs just as there is a worlds and Europeans it just mean countrys within the commonwealth take part powerlifting has a long long way to go before we can even start thinking about the original post

I belive top teer Olympic lifters and athletes will have medical support through the British team

Exactly - powerlifting is not in the Commonwealth Games and GBPF is not even officially recognised by UK Sport as a governing body.

I'm sure if Tom was world record holder at clean & jerk he would be receiving plenty of medical support
dazzachapIcon...18-01-2012 @ 15:25 
Member 1085, 408 posts
SQ 220, BP 175, DL 285
680.0 kgs @ 94kgs UnEq
hammerman said:My brother used to have access to treatment at the British Olympic Medical Centre in North London, when he was part of the British Bobsleigh Team.

Hammerman

Whose your brother?
I would have thought while he was competing he could have probably have gotten treated locally and the BBA BOA could have been billed direct once the treatment had been authorised?? Water under the bridge now.......

He's right the facilities weren't the best, but they were free, and atleast the sports doctors were able to get you a fast track if MRI etc was required for a clearer diagnosis.

Millsy

So powerlifting is not a recognised commonwealth sport?? genuinely thought it was now!

The point of the original thread was to see if there were avenues to getting treatment to sport related injuries, that competing athletes were unaware of?

From a personal point of view, i didnt know and didnt ask the right questions to the right people, and was ready to retire, got pointed in the right direction, 2 days later i was getting operated on. competed for another 3 yrs...
CuddlesIcon...19-01-2012 @ 14:26 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Unless you earn your living from your sport, I am struggling to see why you should get any kind of preferntial treatment over Jo Average in the street.

I am also led to believe that if you earn your living from your sport, that you can and often will receive preferential treatment.

Seems like a pretty decent system to me.

My sporting life has been f**ked by numerous injuries that the NHS refuse to operate on, so I am not one of the guys who has benefited from the system, I can have the operations if I want, I just have to stump up the cash, which I cant afford. Do I like it? No. Is it fair? Yeah probably.
BigMaccaIcon...19-01-2012 @ 14:38 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9943 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:Unless you earn your living from your sport, I am struggling to see why you should get any kind of preferntial treatment over Jo Average in the street.

I am also led to believe that if you earn your living from your sport, that you can and often will receive preferential treatment.

Seems like a pretty decent system to me.

My sporting life has been f**ked by numerous injuries that the NHS refuse to operate on, so I am not one of the guys who has benefited from the system, I can have the operations if I want, I just have to stump up the cash, which I cant afford. Do I like it? No. Is it fair? Yeah probably.

I thought you could get treatment for AIDS on the NHS?
Tom_MartinIcon...19-01-2012 @ 14:48 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Yeah, as a fairly mediocre sprinter I had access to a lot of medical support, free MRI's, free treatment, no travelling to get it either, and I took very good advantage of the situation frequently!

As an IPF world record holding powerlifter though? Well, I'd feel like a bad person just asking for someone to financially cover my medical expenses, and I wouldn't know where to turn anyway!

Thanks for trying to bring attention to this subject, but... Nobody cares about powerlifting or powerlifters (apart from other powerlifters), and I wouldn't expect them to either.
bryceIcon...19-01-2012 @ 14:49 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:
I thought you could get treatment for AIDS on the NHS?

You only get treatment for good AIDS, so no olly didnt get any treatment

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions